In our Where to Work Out series, we search Greater Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods and communities for the best fitness studios for cardio, strength training, yoga and more.
If you’re not one to go for a run at Buffalo Bayou Park but still want to stay active, you’re in luck. Peppered throughout the bustling and walkable neighborhood known as Montrose are a ton of great fitness boutiques where you can work up a sweat, strengthen your muscles, and center your body and mind.
For the purposes of this list, Montrose is defined by the area east of Shepherd Drive, south of Allen Parkway, west of Bagby Street, and north of the Southwest Freeway.
Where to Work Out in Montrose
Not sure where to start? We did the research so you don’t have to. Read on for a list of our favorite places to exercise in Montrose.
Yoga & Pilates
- Stretch Studio of Houston – This three-for-one powerhouse offers yoga, pilates, and spin, all under one gorgeous roof. Spacious and clean, Stretch Studio is owned by a sister duo that aimed to offer active Houstonians a one-stop shop for their fitness needs. Private sessions are also available. Click here for directions.
- BIG Power Yoga – If you’re a local yogi, then you’ve likely heard of (or practiced at) BIG Power Yoga. This cult favorite is known for their overwhelming sense of positivity and community, challenging (and sweaty) Baptiste yoga classes, and their 40-day program that offers students a comprehensive guide toward a better, stronger self. Click here for directions.
Barre & Dance
- Dance House Fitness – Let your hair down and unleash your inner diva at Dance House Fitness, whose full-body dance workouts are anything but basic. With classes like Hustle, Strut, Booty Werk, and HIIT That, you can work toward your dancer’s body goals while going all-out on the dance floor. Click here for directions.
- Verticality Pole Fitness – Whether you’re planning a bachelorette party, looking for a confidence-boosting full-body workout, or simply want to step outside of your comfort zone and try something new, Verticality Pole Fitness has something for you. They offer a huge variety of classes, ranging from private parties and pole dance fitness to exotic floor work and intro to ballet. Click here for directions.
- The Bar Method – It’s no secret that barre loyalists love The Bar Method. And with more than 100 locations across the U.S. and Canada, the structured classes clearly yield results. Head here for a challenging workout that lengthens, tones, and strengthens your muscles through precise, isometric exercises using free weights, a mat, and a ball. Click here for directions.
- Define Body & Mind – Barre, spin, hammock yoga, stretching, trampoline and more are all available at this Houston-based fitness franchise that aims to help clients live their best, healthiest life. Known for quality instruction and well-rounded offerings, Define also has a line of healthy foods and juices with hands-on workshops throughout the year. Click here for directions.
Gym, Spin & Cardio
- Impact Fitness – Impact’s trainers take a well-rounded approach toward your health goals with a focus on lifestyle and nutrition choices and their effects on fitness. They offer customized training and updated fitness equipment, plus sports massage, body composition analysis, and integrative yoga therapy. Click here for directions.
- Spenga Montrose – The unique workout at Spenga combines spin, HIIT, and yoga into one 60-minute session that hits all of the fitness checkboxes: cardio, strength, and flexibility. The sleek space boasts upbeat tunes, motivating instructors, and classes seven days a week. Click here for directions.
- Vortex – Rev up your heart rate on an indoor bike or build strength in a boxing class at Vortex, a boutique fitness studio featuring two workout concepts and a built-in cafe for pre- or post-workout fuel. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).