Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, January 13 to Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Nosh on eats from more than 40 local vendors at The Woodlands’ annual food fest; watch a one-man performance of Hamlet; attend the Astros’ annual gala with legendary headliner Lionel Richie; watch high school marching bands battle it out for a big prize; jam out at an epic K-pop show and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Seventeen at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, January 15 – Jam out at an epic concert by the K-pop boy band, Seventeen, as they stop in Sugar Land while on a global tour, following the release of their third studio album, An Ode. Tickets range from $55 to over $175, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Earthquake at Houston Improv | Thursday, January 16 to Sunday, January 19 – Crack up at the hilarious musings of stand-up comedian Earthquake, known for his roles in Everybody Hates Chris, Sharknado 4, and his own HBO special. Tickets range from $25 to $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Performance begins at 8pm each night.
- Hamlet at Main Street Theater | Thursday, January 16 to Sunday, January 19 – See Guy Roberts’ one-man performance of Shakespeare’s classic tale of emotional distress in Hamlet at Main Street Theater. Tickets start at $40. Showtimes vary.
- Taste of the Town at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Resort | Thursday, January 16 – Sample foods from a variety of restaurants, bakeries, and distributors at the annual Taste of the Town event in The Woodlands. Featuring more than 40 local vendors, the culinary showcase also offers raffles, contests, and live entertainment. Advance tickets are $35; $20 for ages 6 to 12. 4pm to 9pm.
- 11th Annual Yaga’s Chili Quest & Beer Fest in Galveston | Friday, January 17 and Saturday, January 18 – Roll up your sleeves and come hungry to the eleventh annual, 2-day Chili Quest & Beer Fest in Galveston. Start the party at Yaga’s Cafe on Friday, then make your way to several tasty events along the Historic Strand on Saturday. Expect chili samples, beer tastings, live music, a washers tournament, a 5K fun run, a margarita contest, and shopping. Tickets are $12 for the chili tasting; $30 to $40 for the beer tasting; $39 for a beer and chili tasting combo package. Times vary.
- Diamond Dreams Gala at Minute Maid Park | Friday, January 17 – Slip on your dancing shoes for a spectacular performance by Lionel Richie, followed by the Astros’ fifth annual Diamond Dreams Gala in Minute Maid Park. Guests may purchase tickets for the concert only, or for both the concert and gala. Tickets start at $50. 5:30pm.
- Black Laughs Matter at NRG Arena | Friday, January 17 – Hear from comics Arnez J., Aries Spears, Tommy Davidson, Benji Brown, and Carmen Barton in this laugh-out-loud event at NRG Arena. Tickets start at $39, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 18 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play LeBron James and the Lakers at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $112 to over $2,000 and are likely to sell out, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Houston Half Marathon | Sunday, January 19 – Volunteer or show your support, as a field of runners compete in the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon, which winds throughout the city, beginning and ending in Downtown. Registration is required for this event but the public is welcome to visit the sidelines of the race course. 7am.
- 5th Annual MATCH Family Fun Day in Midtown | Sunday, January 19 | FREE – Bring the kiddos to an afternoon of family-friendly fun in celebration of the Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston’s (MATCH) fifth year in operation. You can enjoy character visits, balloon animals, a bounce house, kid-friendly concerts, and performances from Main Street Theater and Open Dance Project. 1pm to 5pm.
- 19th Annual MLK Battle Of The Bands Competition at Galena Park ISD Stadium | Sunday, January 19 – Pick your favorite from more than 20 nationally acclaimed marching bands from high schools around the country in the 19th Annual MLK Battle of the Bands at Galena Park ISD Stadium. Tickets cost $12, plus fees. 3pm to 7pm.
- Kathleen Madigan: 8 O’Clock Happy Hour Tour at Revention Music Center | Sunday, January 19 – Catch a stand-up show by comedy icon Kathleen Madigan, who has appeared on just about every late night show throughout her 25-year career. Tickets range from $39 to over $115, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).