Make the most of your week with our top 10 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, January 13 to Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
Top 10 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Family Bingo Night at Palava | Monday, January 13 – Yell “Bingo!” as a family at Bingo Night at Palava Family Entertainment Center. Spend the night together playing one of your favorite games while enjoying food and drinks. Prizes will be awarded. Regular admission rates apply; prices vary by age and activity choices. 6pm to 7:30pm.
- Brick by Brick WonderWeek at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Tuesday, January 14 to Thursday, January 16 – Grab a hard hat, all your tools, and get ready for a construction adventure at the Children’s Discovery Center. Participate in cool activities and craft things like a LEGO crown, motorized fan car, upcycled magazine bracelets and more. Other activities include paper quilling, liquid crystals and more. General admission is $12 and includes WonderWeek activities. 10am to 6pm each day.
- Sixteen Candles Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Thursday, January 16 | FREE – Watch an outdoor screening of the John Hughes ’80s film starring Molly Ringwald, Sixteen Candles, at Discovery Green in Downtown. Samantha faces her 16th birthday with typical adolescent dread. And while she pines for studly older boy Jake, she worries that her chastity will be a turnoff for the popular senior as she fends off the nerdy friend Ted who clamors for her attention. This film is appropriate for older kids and young adults, parents of younger audiences are encouraged to use their discretion. 7pm to 10pm.
- Lunch with an Astronaut at Space Center Houston | Friday, January 17 and Saturday, January 18 – Spend time with a real-life NASA astronaut while enjoying a delicious lunch at Space Center Houston. Every weekend features a different astronaut. Tickets are $69.95; $35.95 for ages 4 to 11. Noon on both days.
- Chinese New Year 2020 at Lucky Land | Saturday, January 18 and Sunday, January 19 | FREE – Celebrate Chinese New Year 2020, the Year of the Rat, with live performances, shopping, a magic show, a dragon parade, food and more for the whole family at Lucky Land in North Houston. 10am to 6pm both days.
- 14th Annual MLK Youth Parade in Midtown Houston | Saturday, January 18 | FREE – Head to Midtown for the annual MLK Youth Parade featuring 10 parade floats and 20 marching bands. In years past, it’s attracted more than 200,000 spectators. The parade will take place near the HCC Central Campus, beginning at Elgin and San Jacinto streets. Noon to 1:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 18 – Cheer on the Rockets as they play against the LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center. Bring kiddos along to join the Kid’s Club for free ticket opportunities and other perks just for kids. Tickets range from $112 to over $2,000 and are likely to sell out, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Chevron Houston Marathon presents RunFest & Charity Village at Discovery Green | Sunday, January 19 | FREE – Celebrate the victories of Houston runners, family, friends, and neighbors participating in Chevron Houston Marathon at a Sunday morning celebration on Jones Lawn at Discovery Green. There will be Michelob Ultra beer on sale, plus booths from the Astros, Dynamo, Rockets, and Texans along with the Charity Village, a collection of booths from 31 organizations doing important work in the Houston community. 5am to 2:30pm.
- 5th Annual MATCH Family Fun Day in Midtown | Sunday, January 19 | FREE – The free MATCH Family Fun Day returns to Midtown for the fifth time, presenting an afternoon chock full of family-friendly fun for little ones. MATCH will open its doors to all Houston families, with performances, activities, bounce houses, face painters, balloon artists, stilt walkers, chalk artists and more. Lemond Kitchen will be offering food for sale from its new, nearby café on Main Street. 1pm to 5pm.
- 19th Annual Battle of the Bands Competition at Galena Park ISD Stadium | Sunday, January 19 – The 19th Annual MLK Battle of the Bands will feature more than 20 nationally acclaimed marching bands from across the country, including the best high school marching bands from Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas. Tickets are $12. 3pm to 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).