Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 15 to Sunday, January 19, 2020.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
- Backyard Cinema Steak Night in the Heights at Tikila’s | No Cover – Sip on a Tiki drink while enjoying a steak from Elements Houston, a live DJ, and drink specials at Tikila’s in the Heights. Each Wednesday will feature a different movie screening on the patio. 7pm.
- Star Wars Trivia at Little Woodrow’s EaDo | No Cover – Prove you are one with “the force” at the Star Wars Trivia night at Little Woodrow’s EaDo. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes as well as drink and food specials. 7pm.
- Leftover Salmon in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Leftover Salmon brings their blend of bluegrass, rock, country, and Zydeco to White Oak Music Hall with support from Jason Boland & The Stragglers. Tickets are $25. 7pm.
- Real Housewives Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Test your knowledge of the Real Housewives of Atlanta, New York, Orange County and more at this trivia night at Under the Radar. 7:30pm.
- January Trivia Night at The Phoenix on Westheimer | No Cover – The Phoenix on Westheimer hosts its monthly trivia night on National Hat Day. Get extra points by showing up in a creative hat. 8pm to 10pm.
Thursday, January 16, 2020
- Cocktails & Conversations: How to Feed a Growing Planet at The Health Museum – Sip cocktails while engaging in a discussion of global food security, food waste, malnutrition, and sustainable solutions to the hunger crisis at The Health Museum’s evening event, Cocktails & Conversations. Tickets are $15; $10 for members. 5pm.
- Comedian Yvonne Orji at White Oak Music Hall – Known for her role as Molly on HBO’s Insecure, Yvonne Orji traces her path to the film sets and the stand-up stage. Tickets are $35 in advance. 7pm.
- Mad Men Trivia at Cottonwood Houston – Test your knowledge of the sixties-era Mad Men at Cottonwood Houston. Themed costumes are strongly encouraged. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show at CSz Arena – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $7 tickets are available. 8pm.
- Micah Motenko in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Hear the soul and R&B sounds of Micah Motenko and his 4-piece band at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 online; $22 at the door. 9:30pm.
Friday, January 17, 2020
- Opening Reception: Gone by Carmen Flores at Art League Houston | FREE – Experience the art exhibition, Gone by artist Carmen Flores at Art League Houston. In her installation, Flores’ creates delicate, intimate drawings of flowers with red pencil, graphite, and thread on white handkerchiefs. 6pm to 9pm.
- Black Laughs Matter featuring Arnez J., Aries Spears, Tommy Davidson, Benji Brown, Carmen Barton at NRG Arena – A stellar lineup of comedians take the stage at NRG Arena for the supersized stand-up set, Black Laughs Matter. Tickets range from $39 to over $120, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- ’90s Night at Howl at the Moon – Dust off your old choker necklaces and grungy flannel shirts and make your way to Howl at the Moon for ’90s Night. Dress in your best ’90s outfit for free admission. Cover charge at the door. 7pm.
- Big Freedia, with The Suffers in Concert at House of Blues – Appearing on Beyoncé’s “Formation” and “Nice for What” with Drake, the Queen Diva known as Big Freedia remains the leading voice of New Orleans hip hop. Local favorites The Suffers open her set at House of Blues. Tickets are $25, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Bad Idea: 3 Year Anniversary Show at The Secret Group | FREE w/ RSVP – The Bad Idea comedy show turns three with an anniversary show featuring special guests, stand-up comedians and free pizza from Russo’s NY Pizzeria at The Secret Group. 7:30pm.
- White Denim in Concert at Satellite Bar – Watch a live performance from the 4-piece fusion rock band out of Austin, TX, White Denim at Satellite Bar in the East End. Nolan Potter’s Nightmare Band opens the show. Tickets are $16. 8pm.
Saturday, January 18, 2020
- Onesie Bar Crawl in Midtown – Get cozy in your favorite pajamas and make your way through several bars in Midtown at this onesie-themed bar crawl. Bars will offer drink specials throughout the event and include Dogwood, Pub Fiction, Howl at the Moon and more. 4pm to 10pm.
- 10×10 Art Show 2020 at The Hardy & Nance Studios | No Cover – Shop for unique 10×10 artworks made by local artists, all for $125 or less at The Hardy & Nance Studios. 5pm to 9pm.
- The Wizards Beer Festival at The Ballroom at Bayou Place – Dress up in wizarding garb for a magical evening of beer-tasting, food, live music, photo ops, vendors and more at the Wizards Beer Festival at Bayou Place. Tickets start at $35. 6:30pm to 10pm.
- Montell Jordan in Concert at Grooves of Houston – Known for his popular song in the mid ’90s, “This Is How We Do It,” Montell Jordan takes the stage at Grooves of Houston. Tickets start at $25. 7pm.
- MyOhMy: A Drag Show Extravaganza at Warehouse Live – Texas’ touring drag show, MyOhMy, returns to EaDo, featuring some of the best drag illusions portraying international superstar performers including Cher, Pink, Lady Gaga, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and more. Tickets range from $20 to $40, but limited discounted $15 tickets are available. 7:30pm.
- Bumping Mics: Jeff Ross & Dave Attell at Revention Music Center – Have a good laugh when Bumping Mics with Jeff Ross & Dave Attell takes the stage at Revention Music Center in Downtown. Tickets range from $35 to over $55. 8pm.
- Ezra Black, Mantra Love, and Astragal in Concert at Axelrad | FREE – Catch a free concert with three local acts, Ezra Black, Mantra Love, and Astragal, at Axelrad beer garden. 8pm.
- Gary P. Nunn in Concert at Firehouse Saloon – Enjoy a live performance from Texas country legend Gary P. Nunn at Firehouse Saloon. Presale tickets start at $20. 8pm.
- Retro Music Party with Joel’s Garage & The Monicas at Leon’s Lounge – Leon’s Lounge plays host to the Retro Music Party featuring Joel’s Garage and The Monicas. Party-goers can take a trip down memory lane at one of Houston’s oldest bars with live music by Joel’s Garage Band, playing classic rock from the ’60s to the ’00s, and The Monicas Band, playing some ’90s hits. $5 cover. 9pm to 1:30am.
Sunday, January 19, 2020
- Super Villains & Brews at Karbach Brewing Co. | No Cover – Dress up as your favorite villainous character for this afternoon event in the Karbach biergarten. They’ll have themed art on display, as well as games, toys, a DJ, cosplay and more. Noon.
- Comedian Kathleen Madigan at Revention Music Center – For over twenty years, Kathleen Madigan has had crowds rolling with laughter and has appeared on late-night shows, comedy specials, and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. Tickets range from $39 to over $115, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Sean McConnell in Concert at Heights Theater – Enjoy an intimate acoustic performance from singer-songwriter Sean McConnell at the Heights Theater. Tickets start at $22. Doors at 7pm; show at 8pm.
- A Night With Z-Ro Birthday Celebration & Concert at House of Blues – Legendary Houston rapper Z-Ro performs live for a birthday concert and celebration at House of Blues. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
- Sunday Night Fever at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts Sunday Night Fever with local DJs playing all-vinyl disco, house, dance, funk, and derivatives. There will also be drink specials on cocktails. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).