Happening This Week
Nightlife in Houston This Week
Also in January 2020
Honor the Lunar New Year at parties, festivals, and events around Houston from Saturday, January 18 to Sunday, February 2, 2020.
Celebrated in Houston and around the world, the arrival of this year’s Lunar New Year marks the close of the Year of the Pig and the arrival of the Year of the Rat.
Scroll down to check out the slate of Lunar New Year 2020 events taking place in Houston.
Lunar New Year 2020 Events in Houston
- Chinese New Year 2020 at Lucky Land | Saturday, January 18 and Sunday, January 19; Saturday, January 25 and Sunday, January 26, 2020 | FREE – Celebrate the Year of the Rat with live performances, shopping, a magic show, a dragon parade, food and more for the whole family at Lucky Land in North Houston. 10am to 6pm.
- Chinese New Year Celebration at Phat Eatery | Saturday, January 25 and Sunday, January 26 | No Cover – Phat Eatery in Katy hosts two days of celebrations with a special Chinese New Year pre-fixe menu and performances by the Lion Dance, Lee’s Golden Dragon Lion and Dragon Dance Association. There will be a performance at 11am and 5pm on both days.
- Lunar New Year Houston 2020 at Viet Hoa Center | Saturday, February 1 and Sunday, February 2, 2020 | FREE – This two-day outdoor festival and market will feature lion and dragon dance performances along with live music, food, and local vendors to ring in the Year of the Rat. Guests are invited to this celebration of Asian cultures represented in Houston, including Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cambodian, Filipino and more. 10am to 6pm.
Saturday, January 18, 2020
- Lunar New Year Crawl at Hong Kong City Mall | FREE – Honor the Year of the Rat in Bellaire with a scavenger hunt in the style of a Chinatown Crawl at Hong Kong City Mall. The first ten guests who complete the hunt will receive a free movie ticket. 5pm to 10pm.
Lunar New Year, Saturday, January 25, 2020
- 2020 Lunar New Year Festival at Chinese Community Center of Houston | FREE – The annual family-friendly 2020 Lunar New Year Festival at the Chinese Community Center celebrates the Year of the Rat with local food vendors, information booths, cultural performances, craft activities for the whole family and more. 10am to 4pm.
- Texas Lunar Festival in Bellaire | FREE – This annual festival features dance performances, a fashion show, martial arts performances, vendors, food trucks and more in front of the Southern News Group Building on Bellaire Boulevard. 10am to 5pm.
- Lunar New Year WonderWeek at Children’s Museum of Houston – Families can head to the Children’s Museum of Houston and enjoy making full moon silhouettes, designing fire lanterns and more at the Lunar New Year WonderWeek. Included with general admission to the museum; tickets are $12 for ages 1 and up, free for ages under 1. 10am to 6pm.
- Lunar New Year at 8th Wonder Brewery | No Cover – 8th Wonder Brewery in East Downtown hosts a Lunar New Year event with performances, demos, family-friendly activities, food trucks, and the HTX Market featuring artisans with all types of handcrafted items. 11am to 4pm.
- Family Day: Lunar New Year 2020 at Asia Society Texas Center | FREE – Join Asia Society Texas Center in welcoming the Year of the Rat with performances, art and craft activities, as well as food inspired by Lunar New Year traditions across Asia. 11am to 4pm.
- Winter Festival: Celebrating Lunar New Year at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | FREE – The Lunar New Year Winter Festival at the MFAH salutes the Year of the Rat with music, art activities, games and more for all ages. All festival activities are free. Admission to the Museum is available separately. 2pm to 6pm.
- Chinese New Year Celebration at The Rustic Brush Galleria – Participate in an arts and crafts workshop for the Chinese New Year while enjoying appetizers and fortune cookies at The Rustic Brush at the Galleria mall. Workshops range in prices. 7pm to 10pm.
Sunday, January 26, 2020
- FOTP Lunar New Year Festival & Fried Rice Cook-Off at The Phoenix on Westheimer – The 3rd Annual Lunar New Year Festival & Fried Rice Cook-Off will feature people competing with their own unique take on fried rice at The Phoenix on Westheimer. There will be games, a money tree, activities for kids and more. Tickets start at $10 for six sampling tickets. Noon to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).
Click here to sign up for free.