Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
Make the most of your week with our top 14 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, January 6, to Sunday, January 12, 2020.
See a Tony Award-winning musical, head to a colorful pride celebration at Discovery Green, sip local brews with live beer hall music, cheer on the Rockets in a game against Minnesota, test your limits in a hot pepper-eating contest, catch a country music concert by Morgan Wallen and more.
Top 14 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Shane Mauss at The Secret Group | Monday, January 6 – Laugh out loud at the life-driven comedy of Here We Are podcast host Shane Mauss, who takes the stage for one night at The Secret Group. Tickets range from $18 to $25, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Broadway Across America presents Hello, Dolly! at the Hobby Center | Tuesday, January 7 to Sunday, January 12 – Catch the musical revival of a Tony Award-winning show as Broadway Across America brings Hello, Dolly! to Downtown’s Hobby Center. Tickets for the first run start at $35, but you may find cheaper, better, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. Showtimes vary.
- Damon Wayans at Houston Improv | Thursday, January 9 to Sunday, January 12 – Crack up at a live, stand-up show from one of the biggest names in comedy, Damon Wayans, who brings his act to the Houston Improv for four nights. Tickets range from $40 to $50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Showtimes vary.
- Paganini + Pines of Rome at Jones Hall | Thursday, January 9, Saturday, January 11, and Sunday, January 12 – Enjoy a concert of daredevil violin feats by Grammy-winning Augustin Hadelich, who will play Paganini’s powerful Violin Concerto No. 1 at Jones Hall. Arrive 45 minutes early for a pre-concert discussion led by Musical Ambassador Carlos Andrés Botero. Tickets start at $26, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- ROCO Connections: Beer & Brass at Saint Arnold Brewery | Thursday, January 9 – Celebrate the start of the new year with craft beers and tasty bites, accompanied by traditional beer hall music from the ROCO Brass Quintet at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. Tickets start at $50. 6pm.
- Gladys Knight in Concert at Arena Theatre | Thursday, January 9 – Catch a live performance by “The Empress of Soul” as the iconic singer, Gladys Knight, takes the stage of Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8:30pm.
- Morgan Wallen’s Whiskey Glasses Road Show at Revention Music Center | Friday, January 10 – Sing along to a live show from country singer Morgan Wallen, who brings his Whiskey Glasses Road Show to Revention Music Center in Downtown. Openers include Jon Langston and Ashland Craft. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Rainbow on Ice at Discovery Green | Friday, January 10 – Head to Discovery Green for Rainbow on Ice, an annual LGBTQ celebration, which this year features all things Houston with a drag performance from Blackberri as Lizzo. Throughout the evening, you can enjoy music by DJ Joe Ross and R&B singer JaeRene with costumes made by Yahiara Dehill. Skating fees apply. $11 to skate; $4 skate rental. 7pm to 10pm.
- 8th Annual ChocoLoco 5k/10k at Sam Houston Park | Saturday, January 11 – Round up your fellow chocoholics to run a 5K or 10K race through Sam Houston Park, followed by a decadent after-party with hot cocoa, chocolate fountains and more. Registration for the 10K costs $50; 5K registration costs $45; Kids K and Family Walk costs $15. 7:30am.
- 2020 Hops n’ Hot Sauce Festival at SpindleTap Brewery | Saturday, January 11 – Heat up your Saturday with spicy bites, food trucks, craft beers, live jams, and a Hot Pepper Eating Contest at the Hops n’ Hot Sauce Festival at SpindleTap Brewery. Presale tickets start at $8; free for ages 12 and under. 11am to 6pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 11 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Timberwolves at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $34, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 4pm.
- 11th Annual BowiElvis Fest at The Continental Club | Saturday, January 11 – Celebrate the shared birthday of two legendary musicians, David Bowie and Elvis Presley, during the eleventh annual BowiElvis Fest at The Continental Club. Featuring eight bands and two indoor stages, the event also includes an outdoor party with live burlesque, face painting, games, a costume contest, prizes, and themed food. Tickets are $20 in advance. 7pm.
- Bach’s Brandenburgs at Wortham Theater Center | Saturday, January 11 – Take in the soaring sounds of Bach when the Mercury chamber orchestra performs three of his masterful Brandenburg concertos at Wortham Theater Center. Tickets start at $72. 8pm.
- Houston Cat Club Annual Charity Cat Show 2020 at George R. Brown Convention Center | Saturday, January 11 and Sunday, January 12 – Feline fanatics rejoice at the Houston Cat Club’s 67th Annual Charity Cat Show at GRB, where cats abound are judged on their smarts and agility throughout the two-day show. Tickets are $13; seniors, military, and first responder tickets are $9; ages 5 to 12 are $4; ages 4 and under are free. Times vary.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).