Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 8 to Sunday, January 12, 2020.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2020
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Ladies Night at Pangea Bar & Grill | No Cover – Bring your gal pals out for Ladies Night featuring $3 Cosmos, free hookah with purchase of any bottle of wine, and beats by DJ Sam at Pangea Bar & Grill. 6pm.
- Houston Art Night at Honey Art Cafe | No Cover – Get your creative juices flowing and meet up with other local artists for an evening of drawing, chatting, and drinking at Honey Art Cafe. Mention you are there for Houston Art Night and receive 10% off drinks and desserts. 7pm to 10pm.
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular weekly Jazz Wednesdays with a dynamic rotation of the best jazz musicians in Houston. 7pm to 10pm.
- Trivia Wednesdays at McIntyre’s Heights | No Cover – Show off your general knowledge when McIntyre’s in the Heights hosts Trivia Wednesdays. 7pm to 9pm.
- Wednesday Night Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – Spend your hump day singing your heart out at the award-winning Wednesday Night Karaoke at the LGBTQ-friendly bar, Guava Lamp, and enjoy $3 Cosmo cocktails all night. 9pm.
Thursday, January 9, 2020
- ROCO Connections: Beer & Brass at Saint Arnold Brewery – Celebrate the start of the new year with craft beers and tasty bites, accompanied by traditional beer hall music from the ROCO Brass Quintet at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. Tickets are $50; $75 for VIP; $15 for ages 12 and under. 6pm.
- Ugly Sweater 21 & Up Night at Houston Zoo – Hold off on packing up your ugly Christmas sweater for the year—the Houston Zoo is hosting an adults-only celebration complete with Christmas lights, drinks, and ugly sweaters galore. Tickets are $35. 7pm to 10pm.
- The Mandalorian Trivia at Eureka Heights Brew Co | No Cover – Answer questions about Baby Yoda and the rest of the gang at The Mandolorian Trivia night at Eureka Heights Brew Co. Each trivia question will be sourced from all eight episodes of the Disney+ series. Themed prizes are awarded to the top three teams. 7pm to 9pm.
- Gladys Knight & The Pips Concert at Arena Theatre – One of the greatest singers of all time, the chart-topping, Grammy-winning Gladys Knight arrives in Houston with her backing band to perform classic hits like “Midnight Train to Georgia” and “Love Overboard.” Tickets range from $35 to over $125, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8:30pm.
- Midnight Memories: One Direction Night at Warehouse Live – Dance the night away to the tunes of 1D, mixed in with a few pop throwback anthems and tracks from Harry Styles’ latest release, Fine Line, at Warehouse Live. Tickets start at $10. 9:30pm.
Friday, January 10, 2020
- Rainbow on Ice at Discovery Green | No Cover – Discovery Green hosts its annual family-friendly LGBTQ celebration on The Ice with music by DJ Joe Ross and Houston R&B singer, JaeRene. This year’s theme is all-things-Houston, featuring electrifying drag performances and a fashion show with designs by Yahaira DeHill. Skating fees apply. 7pm to 10pm.
- F-Rated Fridays at Hamburger Mary’s – Enjoy dinner and a show when Cyn City and Blackberri host an evening of Friday night drag entertainment at F-Rated Fridays at the LGBTQ-friendly Hamburger Mary’s. A $5 per person entertainment fee is added to the check. Shows are at 7pm and 9:30pm.
- Noche de Cumbia at Axelrad | No Cover – Put your dancing shoes on when Axelrad beer garden hosts its Noche de Cumbia every 2nd Friday of the month, featuring local DJs and bands. 7:30pm.
- Morgan Wallen in Concert at Revention Music Center – After appearing on The Voice in 2014, Morgan Wallen has begun carving out a country career, culminating in his 2018 release, If I Know Me. Watch him live along with Jon Langston and Ashland Craft at Revention Music Center in Downtown. Tickets range from $35 to over $80, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Monica’s Bidi Bidi Tribute at White Oak Music Hall – Jam out to your favorite Selena hits at a performance with Monica’s Bidi Bidi Tribute at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $10 in advance; $12 at the door. 8pm to 10pm.
- Ben Nicky at Stereo Live | No Cover – The Trance DJ from Bristol, Ben Nicky, spins at the Stereo Live in west Houston. Free with RSVP; $5 for express entry. 10pm.
Saturday, January 11, 2020
- 2020 Hops n’ Hot Sauce Festival at SpindleTap Brewery – Guests can enjoy a variety of spicy offerings, food trucks, and fresh craft beers, listen to live jams, and participate in or cheer on the daring during the fourth annual Hot Pepper Eating Contest, or the second annual Spicy Pizza of Death Eating Contest. Presale tickets start at $8; free for ages 12 and under. 11am to 6pm.
- Flying Saucer Coffee Beer Blowout at Houston Flying Saucer | No Cover – Enjoy a delicious coffee beer with over a dozen tappings, including one-off kegs created just for this event, at Houston Flying Saucer in Downtown. No cover, though standard charges for drinks apply. 2pm to 11pm.
- Jersey Shore Trivia Pub Crawl on Washington Ave – Post-GTL, head out to Washington Ave to test your knowledge of MTV’s Jersey Shore at this themed trivia pub crawl, which awards a $500 cash prize to the winner. Upgrade to VIP and receive a T-shirt and tanning lotion, along with the included koozie, drink specials and souvenir cup. Tickets start at $5. 3pm to 9pm.
- BowiElvis Fest at The Continental Club – Now in its eleventh year, the annual celebration of David Bowie and Elvis Presley honors both of the legends, who happen to share the same birthday. Local bands take to multiple stages to perform the hits, and guests can also enjoy an outdoor party, live burlesque, face painting, games, a costume contest and more. $20. 7pm.
- David Bowie Celebration at Numbers Nightclub – Celebrate the Starman himself, David Bowie, with a full night of his music and videos at Numbers Nightclub in Montrose. Cover is $5 before 9pm, increasing thereafter. Event begins at 8pm.
Sunday, January 12, 2020
- Sunday 2K Classic at Drink of Ages | No Cover – Join the Sunday 2K Classic, where participants stop by Drink of Ages for a beer, run and/or walk down Waugh Drive toward Rudyard’s to grab another drink, then make their way back to Drink of Ages. Prizes are awarded for five, 10, or 20 check-ins at either pub. Noon.
- HTX Market x Eureka Heights at Eureka Heights Brew Co. | No Cover – Support local small businesses, artisans, and non-profits during this afternoon market at Eureka Heights Brew Co. You can enjoy bites from Satellite of Pizza and Eureka Heights brews while you shop local goods. 2pm to 6pm.
- Houston Texans Viewing Party at The Brass Tap | No Cover – Cheer on the Houston Texans as they play against the Kansas City Chiefs while enjoying $4 local draught pints from Houston breweries, $1 jello shots and more at The Brass Tap craft beer bar. Brunch will also be happening from 11am to 3pm and the game begins at 2pm.
- Poetry Lounge Sundays at Alley Kat Bar & Lounge – Unwind with a Sunday evening of sophisticated entertainment at Alley Kat Bar & Lounge’s weekly poetry night. Hosted by local wordsmiths Se7en and Dr. Bar None, you can enjoy beats by DJ Guapo between readings. Tickets for early birds start at $10. 7pm.
- Badfish: A Tribute to Sublime in Concert at House of Blues – Catch songs like “Santeria” from punk-ska band Sublime, when the tribute band Badfish brings its Beyond The Sun Tour to House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets range from $20 to $39.50, but you can score free admission when you RSVP in advance. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).