Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Between Shepherd Drive and T. C. Jester, on the west side of Washington Avenue, lies a cluster of drinking establishments perfect for bar hopping. Head to the walkable ‘hood for a fun night on the town at these notable watering holes, and then hit up our favorite brunch spots the morning after.
The Best Bars on West Washington Avenue
- Axis & Alibi – Pop bottles and sip stiff craft cocktails at this lounge and patio bar. On early evenings, the dress code is casual, but late-night, dressy attire is required for the dance party atmosphere. Click here for directions.
- Clutch Bar – Open til 2am all week long, this popular sports bar and party spot rocks a patio for nicer evenings, and an indoor space that goes from the perfect place to grab pub grub (the kitchen’s open ‘til midnight) to a dance party into the wee hours of night. Click here for directions.
- Concrete Cowboy – Those who like to get rowdy will want to check out this bass-bumping dance club, which is only open Thursdays through Sundays from 8pm to 2am. Follow its social media for fun happenings, from block parties to DJ nights. Click here for directions.
- Handle Bar – This neon-lit, good-looking bar rocks everything from classic cocktails and tiki drinks to craft beer and wine. Hit the unpretentious adult playground to enjoy retro tunes, fantastic beverages, and good times. Click here for directions.
- Kung Fu Saloon – The fun doesn’t stop at this neighborhood party bar. Hit it up and you’ll find cool stuff like vintage arcade games, ping-pong and Skee-Ball, private karaoke rooms, TVs for game day, and an outdoor patio, plus happy hour specials, a lineup of sake bombs, and eats from cheeseburger egg rolls and bbq cheese fries to green chile patty melts and Nashville ninja hot wings. Click here for directions.
- Lincoln Bar – This Washington sports bar, patio and lounge is known as a place to eat, drink, and socialize, with sports watching, fight nights, DJs, bottle and Champagne service, plus more. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options on West Washington Avenue
Not too far off Washington, you’ll find lively neighborhood watering holes including Fuego’s Saloon on Durham and Little Woodrow’s and FM Kitchen & Bar on Shepherd; there’s also a lineup of nearby nightclubs like Aura, Nox, and Fox Hollow; and cap off your night with a stop at Velvet Taco on Washington, which is open to provide you with taco sustenance on Friday and Saturday nights until 4am.