Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during January 2020.
Also in January 2020
Happening This Week
The new year means a fresh start to focus on spending time with family and friends, and we’ve got plenty of activities happening around town where you can do just that.
Watch the defending World Cup champs compete in an Olympic qualifying tournament, take a seat for a Tony Award-winning musical performance, cheer on runners in the annual Chevron Houston Marathon, support the Astros Foundation at a live concert with Lionel Richie, watch top chefs battle it out in a truffle-centric competition and more.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: January 2020
- The Color Purple at Hobby Center | Friday, January 3 and Saturday, January 4 – Experience a Tony Award-winning musical live on stage when The Color Purple comes to Houston’s Hobby Center for two nights. Tickets start at $30, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Broadway Across America presents Hello, Dolly! at the Hobby Center | Tuesday, January 7 to Sunday, January 12 – Catch the musical revival of a Tony Award-winning show as Broadway Across America brings Hello, Dolly! to Downtown’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $35, but you may find cheaper, better, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. Showtimes vary.
- Gladys Knight in Concert at Arena Theatre | Thursday, January 9 – Catch a live performance by “The Empress of Soul” as the iconic singer, Gladys Knight, takes the stage at Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8:30pm.
- 11th Annual Yaga’s Chili Quest & Beer Fest | Friday, January 17 and Saturday, January 18 – Roll up your sleeves and come hungry to the eleventh annual, 2-day Chili Quest & Beer Fest in Galveston. Start the party at Yaga’s Cafe on Friday, then make your way to several tasty events along the Historic Strand on Saturday. Expect chili samples, beer tastings, live music, a washers tournament, a 5K fun run, a margarita contest, and shopping. Tickets are $12 for the chili tasting; $30 to $40 for the beer tasting; $39 for a beer and chili tasting combo package. Times vary.
- Diamond Dreams Gala at Minute Maid Park | Friday, January 17 – Slip on your dancing shoes for a spectacular performance by Lionel Richie, followed by The Astros’ fifth annual Diamond Dreams Gala in Minute Maid Park. Guests may purchase tickets for the concert only, or for both the concert and gala. Tickets start at $50. 5:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 18 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play LeBron James and the Lakers at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $110, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Houston Half Marathon | Sunday, January 19 – Volunteer, show your support, or join the runners as they compete in the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon, which winds throughout the city, beginning and ending in Downtown, with a post-race party at Discovery Green. Registration is required for this event, but it’s free to watch and cheer on the runners anywhere along the course. 7am.
- MLK Day Celebrations Around Houston | Monday, January 20 – Honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at several parades, marches, and other celebrations around the city. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Jim Jefferies at Wortham Theater Center | Friday, January 24 – Crack up at the outlandish and off-color humor of Australian stand-up comic Jim Jefferies, who brings his live show to Wortham Theater Center. Tickets range from $39.50 to $179.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- 2020 Lunar New Year Festival at the Chinese Community Center of Houston | Saturday, January 25 | No Cover – Ring in the Year of the Rat with dragon and lion dances, local artists, food, games, and cultural performances at the Chinese Community Center’s annual Lunar New Year Festival. 10am to 4pm.
- WWE Worlds Collide at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 25 – Get ready to rumble as WWE NXT battle it out with NXT UK in WWE Worlds Collide at Toyota Center. Competitors include Adam Cole and The Undisputed Era, Shayna Baszler, Walter & Imperium, Kay Lee Ray and more. Tickets start at $20, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5:30pm.
- 13th Annual One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, January 26 – Compete—or just eat—at Saint Arnold’s thirteenth annual One Pot Showdown, which challenges participants to cook up their best recipe while incorporating Saint Arnold beer as an ingredient. Tickets include food samples of every dish and unlimited brews. Price and time are TBD.
- Truffle Masters 2020 at the C. Baldwin Hotel | Monday, January 27 – Indulge in decadent dishes that incorporate delicious black truffles when 25 chefs come together for the sixth annual Truffle Masters 2020 competition at the C. Baldwin Hotel. Competing chefs include Alex Padilla of Ninfa’s on Navigation, La Lucha’s Bobby Matos, Kata Robata’s Manabu Horiuchi and more. Tickets are $195 for general admission; $295 for VIP, with proceeds benefiting Second Servings of Houston. 7pm to 10pm; 6pm for VIP.
- Armin Van Buuren in Concert at Revention Music Center | Thursday, January 30 – Get ready to dance at a live show by Dutch DJ Armin Van Buuren in Revention Music Center. Expect to hear some of his top hits, like “Blah Blah Blah,” “Hoe Het Danst,” and “This Is What It Feels Like.” Tickets start at $40, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Women’s Olympic Qualifier: Panama vs. USWNT at BBVA Stadium | Friday, January 31 – Cheer on the two-time defending World Cup Champion US women’s soccer team as they compete against Panama in an Olympic qualifying tournament at BBVA Stadium. Tickets start at $22, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 4:45pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).