Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, December 30, 2019, to Sunday, January 5, 2020.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Count down to 2020 at fancy dinners, parties and ball-drops around the city; crack up at a hilarious show featuring several big names in comedy; plan your entire wedding at the twice-yearly bridal extravaganza; see a Tony Award-winning musical live; celebrate 125 years of a Galveston institution and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- New Year’s Eve Parties and Celebrations Happening Around Houston | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Ring in the new decade at one of many New Year’s celebrations happening around Houston. With ball drops, fancy feasts, champagne parties, and family-friendly festivities, we’ve got you covered this NYE. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Houston Rockets vs. Denver Nuggets at Toyota Center | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Nuggets at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $33 to over $1,000, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 6pm.
- Back to the Future 2020 NYE Party at Lucky’s Pub | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Dance your way into the new year with a night of music from the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, and early 2000s at Lucky’s Pub’s Back to the Future 2020 New Year’s party. Tickets include access to an open bar, party favors, and a champagne toast at midnight. Tickets start at $55. Use promocode 365HOU for 15% off all tickets, including VIP and hotel packages. 8pm.
- Roaring ’20s NYE Celebration at True Anomaly Brewing | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Break out your sharpest zoot suits and flapper dresses to celebrate New Year’s Eve with a Roaring ’20s themed celebration at True Anomaly Brewing. $75. 8pm.
- New Year’s Eve Party at Topgolf Houston-Katy | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Celebrate the new year with live entertainment, a chef-inspired menu, party favors, midnight fireworks, games, and a glow-in-the-dark theme at Topgolf Houston-Katy’s New Year’s Eve Party. Upgrade to VIP for access to a premium buffet with a bottle of champagne. New Year’s packages for up to 6 people start at $210. 9pm.
- Comedy Laugh Fest at Smart Financial Centre | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Check out a lineup of knee-slapping comedy when Cedric The Entertainer, D.L. Hughley, Nephew Tommy, Deon Cole, and Mark Curry take the mic at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $59, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- 007 Casino Royale New Year’s Eve Gala at The Woodlands Resort | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Don your evening wear for The Woodlands Resort’s James Bond-themed 007 Casino Royale New Year’s Eve Gala, featuring a variety of casino games, plus fun giveaways, live music, and an unlimited hosted bar. Call 1-800-433-2624 for reservations. Overnight packages are available starting at $250. 9pm.
- The Roaring ’20s New Year’s Eve Extravaganza at Como Social Club | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Ring in 2020 with a roaring ’20s-themed soiree at Como Social Club, where you can enjoy live music, small plates, a seafood bar, and a midnight champagne toast. Start your night dining at Sorriso Italian Kitchen, then head upstairs to dance the night away. Tickets are $150 and are limited. 9pm.
- Run Houston! at Sam Houston Race Park | New Year’s Day, Wednesday, January 1 – Get started on your New Year’s resolutions when the Run Houston! series opens the 2020 calendar with a 10K, 5K, and Kids 1K race at Sam Houston Race Park. Registration includes free, high-resolution race photos, a T-shirt, a finisher’s medal, and access to the post-race party with food, drinks, and awards. Registration for the 10K and 5K are $50, while the Kids 1K costs $30. Gates open at 6:30am, with events starting at 8:15am.
- Houston Symphony presents Sinatra and Beyond at Jones Hall | Friday, January 3 to Sunday, January 5 – Swoon to the croons of Tony DeSare as he sings a slew of Frank Sinatra’s greatest hits at Jones Hall. Expect to hear songs like “Come Fly with Me,” “It Was a Very Good Year,” and “New York, New York.” Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- The Color Purple at Hobby Center | Friday, January 3 and Saturday, January 4 – Experience a Tony Award-winning musical live on stage when The Color Purple comes to Houston’s Hobby Center for two nights. Tickets start at $30, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Rockets vs. Philadelphia 76ers at Toyota Center | Friday, January 3 – Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons and the Sixers arrive in Houston for a cross-conference clash at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $34 to over $1,000, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Bridal Extravaganza Show at George R. Brown Convention | Saturday, January 4 and Sunday, January 5 – Plan all aspects of your upcoming wedding at the bi-annual Bridal Extravaganza Show in George R. Brown Convention Center. Featuring more than 400 vendors, the show boasts plenty of giveaways, bridal fashion shows, a wedding-planning seminar, and industry experts. Tickets are $15 in advance, $25 at the door; Saturday seminar entry is $25, Sunday VIP is $49. Use promocode 365NOW and save $2 per ticket when you order online in advance. Times vary.
- Houston Texans vs. Buffalo Bills at NRG Stadium: AFC Wild Card Game | Saturday, January 4 – After clinching the Number 4 seed, the Texans will host the Bills with a trip on the line to the AFC Divisional Round against either the Baltimore Ravens or Kansas City Chiefs. Tickets range $75 to over $450, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 3:30pm.
- Joel Anderson’s Urban Observations Opening Reception at Archway Gallery | FREE | Saturday, January 4 –Explore Houston through Artist Joel Anderson’s perspective at a free opening reception for Archway Gallery’a newest exhibition, Urban Observations. 5pm to 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).