Make the most of your week with our top 18 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, December 23 to Sunday, December 29, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Top 18 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Christmas Shows and Performances around Houston | Monday, December 23 through Sunday, December 29 – From holiday music showcases to Christmas-laden dramas and comedies, there are plenty of performances and theatrical productions to choose from this holiday season. With plenty of kid-friendly and age appropriate shows, you can show them the true meaning of Christmas all month long. Showtimes vary.
- Howdy, Hanukkah! at Congregation Beth Yeshuran | Monday, December 23 – Celebrate Hanukkah with interactive inflatables, craft projects, food, and a giant candy menorah at Congregation Beth Yeshurun. There will also be a sensory-friendly area. Tickets are $27 per family for nonmembers; $20 per family for members; $7 per person. 5:30pm to 7pm.
- Christmas Village at Bayou Bend | Monday, December 23 and Thursday, December 26 through Sunday, December 29 – Discover an immersive Christmas experience at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens with a winter wonderland featuring thousands of lights and activities for all ages throughout the 14-acre estate. Tickets range from $8 to $15. Times vary.
- 9th Annual Menorah Lighting at The Galleria | Monday, December 23 | FREE – The Galleria hosts its ninth annual lighting of its 12-foot-tall menorah, created by I. Cohen. There will be a children’s choir, dreidels, sufganiyah (Israeli doughnuts), and Hanukkah gelt (chocolate coins). 6:30pm to 7:15pm.
- Pokémon Detective Pikachu Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Monday, December 23 | FREE – Watch an outdoor screening of the live-action 2019 movie starring popular adorable creatures in Pokémon Detective Pikachu, at Discovery Green. Ace detective Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son, Tim, to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry’s former Pokémon partner, wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth Detective Pikachu. Rated PG. 7pm to 10pm.
- Breakfast with Santa at Downtown Aquarium | Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24 – Meet Santa Claus for breakfast under the sea as the Downtown Aquarium presents a Christmas Eve breakfast buffet with plenty of photo opportunities. Tickets cost $21.99; ages 3 to 10 are $13.99. 8:30am to 1pm.
- Cookies with Santa at Children’s Museum of Houston | Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24 – Fuel up on milk and cookies with Santa Claus before his big departure at the Children’s Museum of Houston. Kids can bring their wishlist, snap a photo with jolly old Saint Nick, and participate in cookie decorating, as well as an Elfie selfie hat workshop. Entry is included with general museum admission. 10am to 3pm.
- Hanukkah Family Mitvah Project at Aishel House | Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24 | FREE – Prepare Hanukkah treats for Aishel House patients, then enjoy an outdoor menorah lighting and Hanukkah refreshments with Chabad of West Houston. Teach the kids about giving back with this special free family event. 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
- Christmas Day at Bowl and Barrel | Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25 – Leave the clean up for later and head to Bowl and Barrel in Memorial City for some competitive family fun. Enjoy an evening of Christmas day bowling with late-night bites and $5 local craft beers. Prices for bowling, drinks, and food vary. 3pm to 9pm.
- The Big Chanukah Party at The Meyerland Minyan Synagogue | Thursday, December 26 – The Meyerland Minyan Synagogue hosts The Big Chanukah Party complete with BBQ, a latke bar, games, live music, activities for the kids and more. Tickets are $20; $10 for ages 3 to 12. 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- SPA presents Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical at Jones Hall | Thursday, December 26 and Friday, December 27- The beloved stop-motion animated TV classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer soars off the screen and onto the stage this holiday season. The story of a reindeer ostracized for his red nose, Rudolph shows that our differences can be just the thing that saves the day. Tickets start at $35. Showtimes vary.
- NBUF Kujichagulia Celebration 2019 at Shrine of the Black Madonna Cultural Center | Friday, December 27 | FREE – Join the Houston Chapter of the National Black United Front (NBUF) and celebrate Kwanzaa at the Kujichagulia Celebration 2019. There will be an African market, a drum call, and a Kwanzaa celebration and ritual that begins at 7pm. 5pm to 9pm.
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Musical at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, December 27 – For the first time, Scout Elves will take center stage in The Elf on the Shelf, a new live musical debuting this holiday season at Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land. Inspired by the beloved box set, this touring stage production will give families an exclusive glimpse into the magical world of Santa’s North Pole through indelible song and dance numbers and a heartwarming tale. Tickets range from $29.50 to $49.50. 7pm.
- Dreamworks presents Trolls Live! at Hobby Center | Saturday, December 28 and Sunday, December 29 – Watch the colorful trolls come to life for a thrilling performance of song and dance when Dreamworks presents the first-ever tour of Trolls Live! at Hobby Center. Follow Troll favorites Poppy and Branch on an exciting adventure to find their friends. Tickets start at $24, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 10am to 2:30pm both days.
- Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer: The Musical at The Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston | Saturday, December 28 – Following five successful years of touring and more than 500 performances, the “most famous reindeer of all” flies into The Grand with Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical. Come see Rudolph and a holly jolly cast of iconic characters including Hermey the Elf, Yukon Cornelius, and the Abominable Snow Monster, who help Santa save Christmas. Tickets start at $22.50. Performances at 1pm and 4pm.
- Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, December 28 – The Moscow Ballet returns to Smart Financial Centre for the Great Russian Nutcracker, featuring world-class artists, hand-painted sets, and jubilant nesting dolls. Tickets start at $34. 3pm.
- Skate with Storybook Stars at Discovery Green | Saturday, December 28 – Skate with Elsa from Frozen on The Ice at Discovery Green. At 7,716 square feet, The Ice at Discovery Green clocks in as the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. General admission is $11; $4 for the skate rental fee. 4pm to 6pm.
- Donuts, Dreidels, and Dinner at Chabad Montrose | Sunday, December 29 – Celebrate Chanukah at Chabad Montrose with an evening of playing dreidel, eating latkes, donut decorating and more. There is a suggested donation of $10. 5pm to 6:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).