In our Where to Shop series, we search Greater Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods and communities for the best boutiques, retail shops, clothing stores and more.
At the mention of Houston’s famed River Oaks neighborhood, words like “luxury,” “wealth,” and “elegance” come to mind.
Naturally, the highly walkable district is something of a mecca for high-end retail. And with so many pockets of clothing stores and shopping centers, it’s easy to overlook some of Houston’s most notable shops.
Where to Shop in Upper Kirby and near River Oaks
Here, we’ve rounded up the best places to shop in Upper Kirby and near River Oaks for everything from home decor and furniture to designer clothing and artistic jewelry.
- Hemline – Trendy brands like Free People, Rails, and Cleobella line the racks of New Orleans-based Hemline, which stands out among the many businesses in River Oaks Shopping Center with its seasonal accessories and bold looks perfect for a night on the town. Monday to Wednesday 10am to 6pm; Thursday to Saturday 10am to 7pm; Sunday noon to 5pm. Click here for directions.
- Tootsies – No list would be complete without Tootsies, the Houston institution known for its glamorous window displays showcasing designer labels and splurge-worthy fashions along the intersection of Westheimer and Kirby Drive. Sure, you may not be able to shop here every day, but look no further for a special-occasion gown to impress at your next black-tie soiree. Monday to Saturday 10am to 7pm; Sunday noon to 5pm. Click here for directions.
- Tres Chic – Tucked away along Eastside Street just north of Richmond, you’ll find everything from game day essentials to wedding guest pieces, including plus-size options, at Tres Chic. And chic it is, with hot ticket items like the faux sherpa teddy jacket, Gucci belt dupe, and plenty of on-trend animal print. Tuesday to Friday 10am to 6pm; Saturday 10am to 4pm; closed Sunday and Monday. Click here for directions.
- Rye 51 – Though not Houston-specific, this menswear hotspot draws a man of certain panache to its leather goods, tailored suits, and high-quality button-downs. Located within the Shops at Arrive River Oaks complex, Rye 51 consistently offers a sophisticated selection of stylish finds. Monday to Thursday 10am to 6pm; Friday and Saturday 10am to 7pm; Sunday noon to 5pm. Click here for directions.
- Alchemia – Bold hues, dramatic patterns, and unique textures draw the spunky shopper to Alchemia, where trendsetting brands like Pinko, Mother Denim, and Cinq a Sept are the norm. Beyond clothing, customers can opt for a closet consultation, wardrobe editing, digital look books, and styling. Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm; Saturday 11am to 6pm; closed Sunday. Click here for directions.
- Veronica Beard – One of the most recent additions to River Oaks, Veronica Beard has opened it’s eighth storefront in the United States. Owned by two sisters-in-law, both named Veronica Beard, the expanding business focuses on inclusivity for all women with flattering silhouettes and refined tailoring at the forefront of its collection. Monday to Saturday 10am to 7pm; Sunday noon to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Pomp and Circumstance Boutique – Stand out with “cool girl” style after shopping at Pomp and Circumstance (aka P&C). Breezy kimonos, embroidered tops, snakeskin sneakers, and shift dresses galore make this a great spot to scoop up an outfit for any laid-back occasion. Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm; closed Sunday. Click here for directions.
Home Decor & Boutiques
- Kuhl-Linscomb – Gift-giving (for others or yourself) is made easy at Kuhl-Linscomb, a one-stop-shop that offers everything from clever greeting cards, stationery, coffee table books, and party decor to high-quality clothing, antiques, children’s toys, luxurious skincare, and fine china. Monday to Friday 10am to 6:30pm; Saturday 10am to 6pm; Sunday 1pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Sloan/Hall – With locations in San Antonio and Houston (both surpassing 10 years in business), Sloan/Hall boasts a curated collection of designer fashion, furniture, jewelry, books and more, all with an artistic flair that ranges from antique to contemporary design. Monday to Friday 10am to 6:30pm; Saturday 10am to 5:30pm; Sunday 1pm to 5pm. Click here for directions.
- Wisteria – This Dallas favorite for globally-curated furniture and home decor recently opened its doors for the first time in the Bayou City, and interior design enthusiasts couldn’t be more thrilled. The 9,000-square-foot, greenhouse-inspired showroom features immersive room spaces that are fully decorated to help you bring your ideas to life. Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm; Sunday noon to 4pm. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).