Strap on those ice skates and head out onto the largest outdoor ice skating rink in the Southwest at The Ice at Discovery Green, open daily in Downtown through Sunday, February 2, 2020.
At 7,716 square feet, The Ice at Discovery Green clocks in as the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. Made from water recycled from the park’s Kinder Lake, the rink is the de facto headquarters for outdoor winter fun in Houston, presenting a wide variety of seasonal programming for skaters and spectators alike.
Throughout the course of the season, and most given weeks, you can expect to skate along to outdoor movies, live music and DJs, and (up until Christmas) with Santa Claus himself.
Off to the side, you’ll also find a dedicated, toddler-friendly rink known as the Ice Box for kids under 45 inches tall or below the age of 4.
The Ice at Discovery Green is powered by Green Mountain Energy.
Weekly Theme Events at The Ice on Discovery Green
- Cheap Skate Night | Select Mondays – Enjoy skating for just $8 per person on select Mondays from 5pm to 10pm. Cheap Skate Night is not held on Houston ISD vacation days. Click here for more details.
- Theme Night Tuesdays | Select Tuesdays – Costumes are encouraged (and can score you discounted admission of $11) as skaters hit the ice on select Tuesdays for themed skating, including Star Wars, Super Heroes, and more. 7pm to 9pm. Click here for more details.
- Skate Then Sip | Select Wednesdays – Enjoy a $3 mulled wine from the Lake House and listen to favorite tunes from Houston artists from 7pm to 9pm. Show your H-Town pride by wearing Rockets, Texans, Astros, Dynamo, or Dash apparel and receive a discounted admission of $11 from 5pm to 10pm. Click here for more details.
- Skating with the Stars | Sundays – Join professional ice skaters on the rinks on Sunday evenings from 6:30pm to 6:45pm as they perform skating demonstrations. Click here for more information.
Click here to check for upcoming events at the Ice and Discovery Green.
People in non-motorized wheelchairs are welcome to enjoy the rink in their chairs, when accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while on the ice rink. Access is free for wheelchair visitors, while accompanying caretakers and friends receive a discounted rate of $8.
Weather Impacts on The Ice on Discovery Green Operations
Note that the ice rink may be closed unexpectedly due to weather conditions including heat, lightning or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30pm.
The Ice at Discovery Green
- Dates: Daily through Sunday, February 2, 2020
- Times: Monday to Thursday 5pm to 10pm; Friday 5pm to 11pm; Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm. Holidays, school holidays and other select days have special hours. Click here for a detailed list of hours by date. Note that during warmer days or during inclement weather, The Ice may be closed or have a delayed opening. It’s also a good idea to click here and check Discovery Green’s website before heading over or call 713-434-RINK on days with extreme weather.
- Location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney Street, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit and attend events. Skating is $15 per person, including skate rental and tax. Group discounts are available. On select Monday nights (not during school breaks), skating is $8 for Cheap Skate Night.
This article was sponsored by Discovery Green. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.