Make the most of your week with our top 15 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, December 9 to Sunday, December 15, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Top 15 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Story Time with Santa at LaCenterra in Cinco Ranch | Monday, December 9 | FREE – Gather around for a story read by the Jolly Ole Elf himself at LaCenterra. There will be a special appearance by Santa, a coloring station, and a special offer from Nestlé Toll House Café by Chip. Pure Barre will also be on-site with a special treat for the kids and class information for the moms. 10am to 11am.
- TUTS Presents Elf: The Musical at Hobby Center | Tuesday, December 10 through Sunday, December 15 – Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS) presents the holiday crowd-pleasing musical Elf: The Musical at the Hobby Center. The modern-day Christmas classic returns to Houston in an all-new production. The musical tells the story of Buddy, a human accidentally transported to the North Pole as a baby. Unaware that he is actually human, Buddy’s enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth and learn more about his true identity. Tickets start at $40. Showtimes vary.
- It’s a Wonderful Life Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Thursday, December 12 | FREE – Watch the 1947 Frank Capra-directed Christmas classic at Discovery Green. George Bailey has many problems and it thinking about ending it all. Just as he is about to jump from a bridge, he rescues his guardian angel Clarence, who then shows George what his town would have looked like if it hasn’t been for all his good deeds over the years. The film is rated PG. 7pm.
- 2019 Tomball German Christmas Market & Festival | Friday, December 13 to Sunday, December 15 | FREE – Do as the Germans do and celebrate Christmas with plenty of food, beer, and wine, as well as live music on four stages, a petting zoo, and a holiday market featuring more than 200 vendors with antiques, arts and crafts, souvenirs and more. Times vary.
- Houston Symphony Presents A Very Merry Pops at Jones Hall | Friday, December 13 to Sunday, December 15 – Get in the Christmas spirit with a spectacular concert of all your holiday favorites played by the Houston Symphony. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Real Snow Days at Children’s Museum of Houston | Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15 – Take the kiddos to play in blizzards galore this winter season during the Real Snow Days at Children’s Museum of Houston. Included with general admission to the museum. Times vary.
- Grinch’s Holiday Cheer at Children’s Museum of Houston | Saturday, December 14 – Take the little ones to spend a day with the “mean one” himself, Mr. Grinch at Children’s Museum of Houston. The Grinch and Cindy Lou are make their way to visit the museum for photos, storytime, arts and crafts, and a feast. Included with general admission. 10am to 5pm.
- Stearman Santa at Lone Star Flight Museum | Saturday, December 14 – Watch in awe as Santa gives his reindeer some rest and arrives in Houston in a PT-17 Stearman at Lone Star Flight Museum. Guests can snap photos with Santa and the Stearman and take part in making candy airplanes, ornaments, and coloring pages. Included with general admission to the museum. 11am to 12:30pm.
- The Nutcracker Afternoon Tea at The Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston | Saturday, December 14 – Treat your favorite kiddo to an afternoon of tea, finger foods, sandwiches, punch, and cookies at the annual Nutcracker Afternoon Tea at The Grand in Galveston. The Houston Ballet dancers will also be around for photos. Tickets are $30; $25 per child. 12:30pm.
- The Woodlands Winter Wonderland at Creekside Park | Saturday, December 14 | FREE – Bring the family to Winter Wonderland in The Woodlands for photo opportunities with Santa, a pony carousel, carnival games and inflatables, face painters, balloon artists, and plenty of holiday music. 1pm to 5pm.
- Breakfast with Santa at The Woodlands Resort | Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15 – Bring out the little ones to spend time with jolly old Saint Nick at the Breakfast with Santa event at The Woodlands Resort. Families and children are encouraged to bring an appetite and their very own wish list to give to Santa while enjoying a breakfast with a pastry selection, an omelet station, and much more. Tickets are $19.95 for kids ages 6 to 12; $38.95 for adults and free for kids under the age of 5. 9am to 1pm.
- The Nutcracker at The Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston | Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15 – Watch the annual holiday favorite, The Nutcracker, at The Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston. A classic ballet, it tells the story of a young girl who dreams of a Nutcracker Prince, a Sugar Plum Fairy, and a fierce battle against a Mouse King. Tickets start at $29. Showtimes vary.
- Lights in The Heights in the Woodland Heights | Saturday, December 14 | FREE – Bask in the Christmas spirit and take in the beautifully decorated homes of Woodland Heights while enjoying holiday musical performers on front porches. Load the kiddos up in wagons or strollers and fill their cups with cheer, like hot cocoa or egg nog, as they take in wonderful holiday light displays, from traditional decor to dinosaurs, throughout the neighborhood. 6pm to 9pm.
- Campfire Christmas: Family Tours at George Ranch Historical Park | Saturday, December 14 – Journey back in time to experience Christmas celebrations of the 1830s through the 1930s at the Campfire Christmas: Family Tours at George Ranch Historical Park. The holiday evening tour will feature cowboy songs, stories, and hot cocoa around the campfire. Unlike previous Campfire Christmas events, this year’s format will feature holiday tours at each of the main historic sites. Tickets are $25; $15 for ages 4 to 12; $20 for members and seniors. 6pm to 9pm.
- Santa Hustle 5K & Half Marathon in Galveston | Sunday, December 15 – Race a 5K or half marathon through Galveston while dressed up as old St. Nick at the Santa Hustle in Galveston. No need to purchase a costume; you’ll get a beard, hat, and performance hoodie with registration, and can upgrade to receive candy cane socks, a red tutu, arm warmers, and face tattoos for an additional fee. Enjoy cookies, candy canes, and holiday tunes all along the way, then stick around for an after-party. Tickets start at $44.75, plus fees. 6:45am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).