Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, December 2 to Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Crack up at the musings of Queer Eye’s Jonathan Van Ness; dress up in Victorian garb for the annual Dickens on the Strand weekend celebration; jam out to the hip hop hits of A$AP Ferg; race through the Energy Corridor while dressed in Christmas gear; shop for the perfect gift at the Heights’ yearly Holiday on 19th Street and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- The Hip Hop Nutcracker at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, December 4 – Catch a new take on Tchaikovsky’s classic tale when The Hip Hop Nutcracker reveals its explosive hip hop choreography at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $39.50, but some premium seats are discounted to $41. 7:30pm.
- Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square | Friday, December 6 | FREE – Watch in amazement as a towering, 40-foot tree covered in Christmas lights is illuminated for the first time this holiday season at the annual Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square. Following the ceremony will be live entertainment, holiday refreshments, and an appearance by Santa. 5pm to 8pm.
- Holiday on 19th Street in the Heights | Friday, December 6 | FREE – Enjoy free in-store cocktails, roaming carolers, and real snow as the shops on historic 19th Street open their doors for a special Friday evening of shopping and holiday cheer. 6pm to 10pm.
- Houston Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Jubilee of Dance at Wortham Theater Center | Friday, December 6 – Admire the creativity of the Houston Ballet during the Margaret Alkek Williams Jubilee of Dance, an annual event that blends spoken narrative with exquisite dance. The performance highlights the company’s history and pays homage to its current and future stars. Tickets start at $35. 7:30pm.
- An Evening with Jay Leno at Jones Hall | Friday, December 6 – Laugh it up as popular late-night TV show host and stand-up comedian Jay Leno takes the stage for a live event at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $39, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- A$AP Ferg in Concert at House of Blues | Friday, December 6 – Catch a set from hip hop artist A$AP Ferg, with support from openers Murda Beatz and MadeinTYO, at House of Blues. Tickets start at $32.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- 46th Annual Dickens on the Strand in Galveston | Friday, December 6 to Sunday, December 8 – Travel back in time as Galveston’s historic Strand is transformed into Charles Dickens’ Victorian London for this annual, family-friendly weekend. Gear up for parades, live entertainment, strolling carolers, and special events like A Dickens Soiree, Saint Arnold Walking Tours, Dickens After Dark, and the Dickens Feast & Salute to the Queen. Tickets are $13 in advance; $7 for ages 7 to 12. After Sunday, December 2, prices raise to $15 for adults and $9 for ages 7 to 12. Score half-price admission at the gate when you arrive in Victorian-era attire. Times vary.
- Jingle All the Way 5K, 10K & 1K in the Energy Corridor | Saturday, December 7 – Outpace the abominable snow monster during the third annual Jingle All The 5K, 10K, and 1K at Addicks Park and Ride. The family-friendly race includes post-run refreshments and a special appearance from Santa. Registration for the 5K starts at $44.75; 10K starts at $54.75; Kids 1K is $19.75. 8am.
- Christmas in the Park at George Ranch Historical Park | Saturday, December 7 – Travel back in time to Christmas pasts to explore the historic decor and customs practiced between 1830 and 1930. Snag a festive treat at the 1830 Prairie Home or visit Santa’s temporary workshop on the grounds of George Ranch Historical Park. The old-fashioned event is offered every Saturday in December leading up to Christmas, with special campfire celebrations on the 14th and 21st from 6pm to 9pm. Tickets start at $15. Campfire Christmas presale tickets cost $25; $15 for ages 4 through 12; and $20 for members and seniors. All prices increase by $5 at the gate. 9am to 5pm.
- Sweet Jamboree at Sugar Land Heritage Museum & Visitor Center | Saturday, December 7 | FREE – Spread holiday cheer at Sugar Land’s Sweet Jamboree celebration, a one-day event of family-friendly fun at the Sugar Land Heritage Museum and Visitor Center. Enjoy crafts, games, a musical presentation of Disney’s Frozen Jr. and more. 2pm to 5pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns at Toyota Center | Saturday, December 7 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Suns at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Kansas in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, December 7 – Jam out to your favorite tunes by Kansas when the rock group brings its anniversary tour, “Point of No Return” to Sugar Land’s Smart Financial Centre. Tickets range from $44.50 to $124.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Jonathan Van Ness: Road to Beijing at Revention Music Center | Saturday, December 7 – Queer Eye’s resident grooming expert, Jonathan Van Ness, brings his hilarious “Road to Beijing” tour to Houston for one night at Revention Music Center. Tickets range from $45 to over $169, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Houston Texans vs Denver Broncos at NRG Stadium | Sunday, December 8 – Watch the Houston Texans play the Broncos on their home turf at NRG. Tickets start at $61, but you might find cheaper, better, hard-to-find tickets available on TicketNetwork’s online marketplace. Noon.
- Houston Grand Opera presents El Milagro del Recuerdo at Wortham Theater Center | Sunday, December 8 – Explore the themes and traditions of familial bonds during a production of the mariachi opera, El Milagro del Recuerdo (The Miracle of Remembering), by Houston Grand Opera. Tickets start at $30. 2:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).