Make the most of your week with our top 17 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, December 2 to Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Top 17 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Elf Movie Screening Party at Alamo Drafthouse La Centerra | Monday, December 2 to Friday, December 6 (Except Wednesday) – Don’t be a cotton-headed ninnymuggins and get yourself to Alamo Drafthouse at La Centerra for a movie party fit for all Elf fans. Help spread the cheer at this sugar-fueled, prop-filled night of singing loud for all to hear. This movie is rated PG but only kids ages 6 and up are permitted in the theater after 6pm. Tickets are $14.07. 7:30pm each evening.
- The Hip-Hop Nutcracker at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, December 4 – Enjoy a holiday mash-up for the whole family when The Hip Hop Nutcracker re-imagines Tchaikovsky’s classic score through explosive hip-hop choreography at Smart Financial Centre. A dozen all-star dancers, on-stage DJ, and an electric violinist bring the traditional Nutcracker story to life in contemporary New York City. Tickets start at $39.50. 7:30pm.
- Christmas on Main Street in La Porte | Thursday, December 5 | FREE – Every year, the city of La Porte rings in the holiday season with music from La Porte Independent School District, an official lighting of the tree, pictures with Santa, themed vendors, and a huge ice skating rink at Christmas on Main Street. 5pm.
- Annual Christmas Tree Lighting in Historic Katy | Thursday, December 5 | FREE – Make your way to Historic Downtown Katy for the annual Christmas tree lighting. Hang out and enjoy hot chocolate and cookies, a Christmas story, and a live performance from the local choir and dance company—and don’t forget your camera for a photo with Santa. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Miracle on 34th Street Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Thursday, December 5 | FREE – See the movie that has captivated generations of fans since its premiere in 1947, Miracle on 34th Street at Discovery Green. The story of an old man who claims to be Santa Claus, it’s about what happens when we have the courage to believe in something. 7pm.
- Holly Jolly Jingle at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Thursday, December 5 | FREE – This free holiday concert tradition returns with performances of seasonal favorites by orchestras and student musicians from across Conroe ISD, plus caroling and performances in the plaza. 7:30pm.
- Dickens on the Strand in Galveston | Friday, December 6 to Sunday, December 8 – Travel back in time as Galveston’s historic Strand is transformed into Charles Dickens’ Victorian London for this 46th annual family-friendly event. Gear up for parades, live entertainment on six stages, strolling carolers, roving musicians, bagpipers, jugglers, and a visit from the characters of Dickens’ books. Attend for free on Friday evening. Tickets start at $13; $7 for ages 7 to 12; free for ages under 6 the rest of the weekend. Times vary.
- Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Center | Friday, December 6 | FREE – Gather with family and friends around a spectacular 40-foot tree for the Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square. Other activities include holiday crafts, face painting, live music performances, and photos with Santa Claus. 5pm to 8pm.
- Disney Junior Holiday Party on Tour at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, December 6 – Bring out the kiddos to see a presentation of the Disney Junior Holiday Party at Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land. Children and their families can sing and dance along to their favorite Disney Junior songs plus holiday classics with their favorite Disney friends, including Mickey and Minnie Mouse, the Puppy Dog Pals, Vampirina, and even a special visit from Santa Claus. Tickets start at $39.50. 6pm.
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol at The Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston | Friday, December 6 and Saturday, December 7- Celebrate a holiday tradition at The Grand with a production of the Charles Dickens classic tale, A Christmas Carol. See what unfolds as the ghosts of Christmas pay a visit to the grumpy Ebenezer Scrooge. Tickets start at $27. Showtimes vary.
- Jingle All the Way 5K, 10K, & 1K in the Energy Corridor | Saturday, December 7 – Get into the holiday spirit and outpace that mischievous abominable snow monster with the whole family at the 3rd Annual Jingle All The 5K, 10K, and 1K at Addicks Park and Ride. Participants can show up with their holiday attire and receive a festive participant bib, performance tech t-shirt, medal for finishing, and jingle bell. There will also be an appearance by Santa as well as post-race refreshments. Registration for the 5K is $44.75. Kids’ registration is $19.75. 8am.
- Christmas in the Park at George Ranch Historical Park | Saturday, December 7 – Travel back in time to Christmas pasts to explore the historic decor and customs practiced between 1830 and 1930. You can snag a festive treat at the 1830 Prairie Home or visit Santa’s temporary workshop on the grounds of George Ranch Historical Park. The old-fashioned event is offered every Saturday in December leading up to Christmas. Tickets start at $15. Campfire Christmas presale tickets cost $25; $15 for ages 4 through 12; and $20 for members and seniors. All prices increase by $5 at the gate. 9am to 5pm.
- Jingle Tree: Cookies with Santa at Houston Museum of Natural Science at Sugar Land | Saturday, December 7 – Join Mayor Joe Zimmerman and family as they open Santa Land at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Enjoy holiday crafts, the tradition of cookies and milk and a take-away photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Jingle Trees at HMNS at Sugar Land will feature beautifully decorated trees and holiday décor that will be up for bid in a week-long online silent auction via your smartphone. Tickets are $10 for non-members with a purchase of an exhibit halls ticket; $5 for members. 10am to 1pm.
- Stearman Santa at Lone Star Flight Museum | Saturday, December 7 – Watch in awe as Santa gives his reindeer some rest and arrives in Houston in a PT-17 Stearman at Lone Star Flight Museum. Guests can snap photos with Santa and the Stearman and take part in making candy airplanes, ornaments, and coloring pages. Included with general admission to the museum. 11am to 12:30pm.
- Sweet Jamboree at Sugar Land Heritage Museum & Visitor Center | Saturday, December 7 | FREE – Unwrap the holiday magic and spread cheer at the Sweet Jamboree celebration, a one-day holiday event at the Sugar Land Heritage Museum and Visitor Center. The family-friendly event includes crafts, games, a musical presentation of Disney’s Frozen Jr. and more. 2pm to 5pm.
- Fulshear Festival of Lights at Fulshear High School | Saturday, December 7 | FREE – Just minutes southwest of Katy, the Fulshear Festival of Lights gets rolling with its annual parade featuring Santa Claus, local vendors, and live music from Nick and the Groove. 5pm to 9pm.
- Holiday in the Tre at Emancipation Park | Sunday, December 8 | FREE – Enjoy a family-friendly evening of food, entertainment, vendors, a kids zone, and photos with Santa at the annual Holiday in the Tre at Emancipation Park in Third Ward. 4pm to 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).