Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, December 4 to Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Dickens on the Strand in Galveston | Friday to Sunday – Travel back in time as Galveston’s historic Strand is transformed into Charles Dickens’ Victorian London for this 46th annual, family-friendly event. Gear up for parades, live entertainment on six stages, strolling carolers, roving musicians, bagpipers, jugglers, and a visit from the characters of Dickens’ books. Prices and times vary.
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Board Game Night at Rudyard’s British Pub | No Cover – Bring over your board games and grab a table at Rudyard’s large upstairs play space for their Wednesday Board Game Night. 6:30pm.
- The Hip Hop Nutcracker at Smart Financial Centre – Enjoy a holiday mash-up for the whole family when The Hip Hop Nutcracker re-imagines Tchaikovsky’s classic score through explosive hip hop choreography at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $39.50, but premium some seats are discounted to $41. 7:30pm.
- Gilmore Girls Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Show off all that you know about the mother-daughter duo from the TV show, Gilmore Girls at Under the Radar Brewery. 7:30pm.
- Bob Schneider in Concert at Wortham Theater Center – The annual Moonlight Orchestra Holiday show returns to Cullen Theater at Wortham Theater Center, with Bob Schneider performing his take on favorite holiday standards as well as some of his own hits. Tickets range from $46 to $75. 8pm.
- Hump Night: A Stand Up Comedy Show at The Secret Group – Have a mid-week laugh for the weekly Hump Night comedy show hosted by local comedian, Victor Tran at The Secret Group. Tickets are pay-what-you-can. 10pm.
Thursday, December 5, 2019
- Ugly Sweater Contest with HYP at Eureka Heights Brew Co. – Join the Heights Young Professionals for their Ugly Sweater Contest at Eureka Heights Brew Co. Tickets are $5 in advance; $10 at the door. 5pm to 8pm.
- Sánchez Shake Up at 40 Below – Celebrity chef Aarón Sánchez will be celebrating the release of his new memoir, Where I Come From: Life Lessons from a Latino Chef, with a stop in at 40 Below at Revention Music Center. Sánchez and his good friend Shakey Graves will share stories, answer culinary quandaries, and discuss what it’s like being two proud Mexicans from Texas following their dreams, with a special acoustic performance by Shakey to follow. Tickets are $75. 6pm.
- First Thursday on Mid Main – Browse an art garden and market, listen to live music, and sip complimentary drinks at the Mid Main’s monthly First Thursday celebration. Bars and restaurants along Mid Main will be offering drink specials and other entertainment. There is a suggested donation of $5. 6pm to 10pm.
- Chris Knight in Concert at The Heights Theater – The country singer-songwriter from Kentucky, Chris Knight, performs live at The Heights Theater. Joshua Ray Walker opens the show. Tickets range from $24 to $38. 7pm.
- La Dispute in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Post-hardcore rock band La Dispute performs live, in support of their latest album, Panorama, at White Oak Music Hall. Touche Amore and Empath open the show. Tickets are $25. 8pm.
Friday, December 6, 2019
- Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square | No Cover – Gather with family and friends around a spectacular 40-foot tree for the Christmas Tree Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square. Stick around for holiday crafts, face painting, live music performances, and photos with Santa Claus. 5pm to 8pm.
- Historic East End Holiday Homes Tour in Galveston – Explore some of Galveston’s Victorian architecture in the East End Historical District for the 30th annual East End Holiday Homes Tour. Tickets are $25. 5:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Holiday on 19th Street in the Heights | FREE – Enjoy free in-store cocktails, roaming carolers, and real snow as the shops on historic 19th Street open their doors for a special Friday evening of shopping and holiday cheer. 6pm to 10pm.
- A Dickens Soiree at the 1892 Bishop’s Palace – Held at the beautiful 1892 Bishop’s Palace, attendees enjoy a carefully curated food and drink menu while enjoying live music, a special acrobatics display, and appearances by special guests including a reading by Ollie Dickens. Tickets are $80. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- A$AP Ferg in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a set from the hip hop artist A$AP Ferg at House of Blues, with support from Murda Beatz and MadeinTYO. Tickets start at $32. 7pm.
- Not So Silent Night Holiday Party at Warehouse Live – The radio station, 97.9 The Box hosts a silent dance night featuring different DJs, karaoke, live entertainment and more at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $25. 7pm to 11pm.
- MyOhMy Christmas Drag Show at Warehouse Live – Billing itself as the “Best Drag Show in Texas,” MyOhMy brings its one-of-a-kind Christmas Show to Houston. Expect drag performers channeling Mariah Carey, The Grinch, Lady Gaga, Tina Turner and more. Tickets range from $20 to $40, but limited discounted tickets start at $15. 7:30pm.
- An Evening with Jay Leno at Jones Hall – The longtime host of The Tonight Show, Jay Leno sits down at Jones Hall for an evening of insights into his life during and after one of the most successful late-night TV programs. Tickets start at $39, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Friday Night Belly Dancing at Boheme | No Cover – Shake up your Friday night with drinks, eats, and an impressive belly dance performance every Friday night at Boheme in Montrose. 10pm.
- Julian Jordan at Clé Houston – The Dutch musician, DJ and record producer, Julian Jordan hits the decks at Clé Houston lounge in Midtown. Tickets are $10. 10pm.
- ComedySportz presents Improv! The Musical at CSz Arena – In Improv! The Musical, members of ComedySportz Houston take the stage and come up with the storyline, soundtrack, and choreography of a musical right before your eyes. Tickets are $16, but limited discounted $10 tickets are usually available. 10:30pm.
Saturday, December 7, 2019
- 4th Annual Ugly Sweater Bar Crawl in Midtown – Dust off your ugliest sweater from the back of the closet and head to the Houston Ugly Sweater Bar Crawl in Midtown. Starting at either The Dogwood or Electric FeelGood, the crawl features a full bar route with drink specials for all ugly sweater pub crawl participants. Tickets are $12.07, but limited comp tickets (you only pay the ticketing fee) are available. 2pm to 5pm.
- Opening Reception: Segments & Spaces at Archway Gallery | FREE – Archway Gallery presents the opening reception of Segments & Spaces, an art exhibition featuring new paintings and sculptures by Veronica Dyer. Dyer creates dynamic abstract paintings and sculptures and will be on hand to visit with guests for the opening reception. 5pm to 8pm.
- Dickens on the Strand: The Dickens Feast & Salute to the Queen at 1859 Ashton Villa – Enjoy a special evening dinner that features a four-course meal, a special reading of A Christmas Carol from Ollie Dickens, and a complimentary champagne toast to Queen Victoria. Tickets are $125. 7pm to 10pm.
- Kansas in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Known for their hits “Carry On Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind”, the prolific classic rock band Kansas stops by Sugar Land for a performance of their deep catalog of fan favorites. Tickets range from $44.50 to $124.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Dickens After Dark at Galveston Arts Center – For the Saturday evening of the Dickens on the Strand event in Galveston, holders of this limited ticket will gain access to a curated evening of art, music, and performance inside the historic 1878 First National Bank Building also known as the Galveston Arts Center. Guests will be greeted with unique performances, drinks, and revelry for Dickens After Dark. Tickets are $50. 8pm to 10pm.
- Jonathan Van Ness: Road to Beijing at Revention Music Center – The hair-care extraordinaire from Queer Eye, Jonathan Van Ness, hits the road for his first-ever comedy tour. Tickets range from $45 to over $169, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Ugly Sweater Pub Crawl in the Heights | No Cover – Spread holiday cheer and Dash down 19th and 20th street in the Heights for the Ugly Sweater Pub Crawl. The crawl kicks off at McIntyre’s Heights then hits The Boot, Shady Acres Saloon, and Wicklow Heights (in any order) before ending at Cedar Creek Bar & Grill to claim your pub crawl present. 10pm.
Sunday, December 8, 2019
- Jingle All the Way Day at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | No Cover – Burning Bones Press hosts the Jingle All the Way Day market, an event showcasing work by local artists at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. 11am to 4pm.
- Holiday in the Tre at Emancipation Park | FREE – Enjoy a family-friendly evening of food, entertainment, vendors, a kids zone, and photos with Santa at the annual Holiday in the Tre at Emancipation Park. 4pm to 8pm.
- Holiday Open House at Brazos Bookstore – Check out the best books of the season as you mingle with the bookstore community and enjoy food and drinks at Brazos Bookstore. 5pm to 7pm.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Movie Screening Party at Alamo Drafthouse LaCenterra – Quote, sing, and crack up at Griswolds’ chaotic Christmas celebration when Alamo Drafthouse presents the National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Movie Party. They’ll come equipped with special props like pine tree air fresheners, yellow glow sticks, and ugly neckties for added fun. Tickets start at $14.07. 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).