Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during December 2019.
Also in December 2019
Happening This Week
December is always a whirlwind of shopping, travel, holiday parties, and entertaining, so be sure to set aside time for the most important thing this season: spending time with friends and family. And we have plenty of fun activities lined up to do just that.
Watch two college teams face off in the annual Academy Bowl, get in the Christmas spirit at one of many holiday performances, dance the night away when Cher performs live in concert, burst out laughing when John Waters comes to town, tick gifts of your shopping list at seasonal pop-up markets and more.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: December 2019
- Holiday Markets & Shopping Pop-Ups Around Houston | Through Saturday, December 14 – Shop local this holiday season with our ever-growing list of pop-up markets and shopping events, which often feature free holiday entertainment and splurge-worthy treats. Favorites include First Saturday Arts Market in The Heights, Holiday Pop Up in the Park at Market Square Park, and the Midtown Mistletoe Market.
- Holiday Plays and Performances Around Houston | Through Sunday, December 29 – From familiar classics to modern tales, holiday productions abound throughout this celebratory season. Snag tickets to Alley Theatre presents A Christmas Carol: A Ghost Story of Christmas, The Wickhams: Christmas at Pemberley at Main Street Theater, or The Hip Hop Nutcracker at Smart Financial Centre to get in the seasonal spirit. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Christmas Events Around Houston | Through, December 30 − From holiday markets and seasonal concerts to festive productions and Christmas lights galore, we’ve got you covered on all things Christmas this holiday season. Make your holiday season merry and bright with our top 25 Christmas events and things to do around Houston in 2019. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Touring Holiday Concerts Around Houston | Through Sunday, December 30 – Bask in the familiar sounds of all your favorite Christmas carols and classic holiday tunes at these touring concerts with stops in Houston. Some of our top picks include Pentatonix in Concert: A Pentatonix Christmas Tour at Smart Financial Centre, Il Divo: A Holiday Song Celebration at Revention Music Center, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s Christmas Eve and Other Stories at Toyota Center. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- 46th Annual Dickens on the Strand in Galveston | Friday, December 6 to Sunday, December 8 – Travel back in time as Galveston’s historic Strand is transformed into Charles Dickens’ Victorian London for this annual, family-friendly event. Gear up for parades, live entertainment on six stages, strolling carolers, roving musicians, bagpipers, jugglers, and a visit from the characters of Dickens’ books. Tickets are $13 for adults; $7 for ages 7 to 12 if purchased online before Friday, December 2, 2019. Tickets are $15 at the gate; $9 for ages 7 to 12. Tickets at the gate are half-price for guests wearing Victorian-era attire. Times vary.
- Andrea Bocelli in Concert at Toyota Center | Thursday, December 12 – Swoon to the soaring voice of Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli, who takes the stage of Downtown’s Toyota Center for an epic performance of classic opera, love ballads, and pieces from his recent album, Sì. Tickets start at $130, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- A John Waters Christmas: Filthier & Merrier at The Heights Theater | Friday, December 13 – Catch a racy holiday show by the legendary director, actor, comedian, and artist, John Waters, when he performs Filthier & Merrier at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $40. 8pm.
- Lights in Heights in the Woodlands Heights | Saturday, December 14 – Stroll through the beautifully decorated streets of Woodlands Heights during one of Houston’s biggest holiday events, Lights in the Heights. Every year, the neighborhood streets are closed off, allowing pedestrians to roam freely as they admire the gorgeous homes, which host private parties that sometimes feature musical performances on the porch. After admiring the festive scenery, make your way to area bars and restaurants for tons of after-party fun. Times vary.
- Santa Hustle 5k & Half Marathon in Galveston | Sunday, December 15 – Race a 5K or half marathon through Galveston while dressed up as old St. Nick—no need to purchase a costume; you’ll get a beard, hat, and performance hoodie with registration, and can upgrade to receive candy cane socks, a red tutu, arm warmers, and face tattoos for an additional fee. You can enjoy cookies, candy canes, and holiday tunes all along the way, then stick around for an after-party. Tickets start at $44.75 plus fees. 7am to 10am.
- Cher in Concert at Toyota Center | Sunday, December 15 – Sing along to epic hits like “If I Could Turn Back Time,” “Strong Enough,” and “Fernando” when the pop music icon, Cher, performs live at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $57.95, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall | Sunday, December 22 | FREE – Witness the 24th Annual Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall, which will include addresses by Dignitaries and elected officials on the eighth night of Chanukah. You can also enjoy music, dreidels, sufganiyot, and Chanukah gelt throughout the evening. 7:30pm.
- Academy Texas Bowl at NRG Stadium | Friday, December 27 – Root for your team in Houston’s annual Academy Texas Bowl, where two college football teams from the Big 12 and SEC conferences will go head-to-head at NRG Stadium. Tickets range from $24 to over $150, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5:45pm.
- Houston Texans vs Tennessee Titans at NRG Stadium | Sunday, December 29 – Watch the Houston Texans play their division rivals on their home turf at NRG. Tickets start at $60, but you might find cheaper, better, hard-to-find tickets available on TicketNetwork’s online marketplace. Noon.
- Houston Rockets vs. Denver Nuggets at Toyota Center | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Nuggets at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $25, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 6pm.
- Comedy Laugh Fest at Smart Financial Centre | New Year’s Eve, Tuesday, December 31 – Crackup this New Year’s Eve with a lineup of laughter at Comedy Laugh Fest in Smart Financial Centre. Comics include Cedric The Entertainer, DL Hughley, Nephew Tommy, Deon Cole, and Mark Curry. Tickets start at $59, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).