Delight in holiday festivities across Houston with tasty beverage, food and drink events in December 2019.
Also in December 2019
Happening This Week
This month, you can warm up with holiday beverages at a trio of Christmas-themed pop-up bars, dig into the season’s tastiest treats at a tamale festival, and find Christmas stolen, strudel, and kennel corn at a German Weihnachtsmarkt. You can also enjoy a festive bar crawl at The 12 Bars of Christmas. Here’s everything you need to eat and drink this holiday season.
Top 12 Food & Drink Events This Month: December 2019
- Miracle at Daiquiri Time Out and Johnny’s Gold Brick | All Month Long – Two Christmas-themed bars are popping into Houston this holiday season. Miracle will be coming to Galveston’s Daiquiri Time Out and Johnny’s Gold Brick in the Heights, with month-long festivities ranging from charity toy drives and movie night Mondays (DTO) to Tuesday night tamales (Johnny’s) and eggnog bottle service (Johnny’s). Both Daiquiri Time Out and Johnny’s will join locations around the country in selling holiday mugs featured on the signature cocktail menu with 10% of all sales donated to Action Against Hunger. Times vary.
- Santa’s Tavern at Front Porch | All Month Long – Front Porch will be transforming into a winter wonderland this holiday season, with the Santa’s Tavern pop-up bar making holiday dreams come true. Expect wall-to-wall décor, holiday drinks, Instagram-worthy backdrops, visits from Santa Claus, kid-friendly daytime hours and more. Tickets will be sold in three-hour time slots to avoid overcrowding and long wait times. Tickets are $20; $10 for ages 5 to 12; 4 and under are free. 11am to 2am daily.
- Sánchez Shake Up at 40 Below | Thursday, December 5 – Celebrity chef Aarón Sánchez will be celebrating the release of his new memoir, Where I Come From: Life Lessons from a Latino Chef, with a stop at 40 Below at Revention Music Center. Sánchez and his good friend Shakey Graves will share stories, answer culinary quandaries, and discuss what it’s like being two proud Mexicans from Texas following their dreams, with a special acoustic performance by Shakey to follow. Tasty bites will be served, including Tio Mario’s Famous Chili con Carne Colorado-style Burritos, Zarela’s Pineapple-Ginger Chicken Wings, Johnny Sánchez’s Brussels Sprouts Salad, and Sautéed Hominy with Pico de Gallo. Tickets are $75. Doors open at 6pm.
- Holiday on 19th Street in the Heights | Friday, December 6 | No Cover – Stroll along 19th street to get your holiday shopping done early at Holiday on 19th, where you’ll find live music, cocktails, and in-store specials from shops like We Olive & Wine Bar and Manready Mercantile to eateries including Harold’s Tap Room and Boomtown Coffee. 6pm to 10pm.
- 13th Anniversary at 13 Celsius | Select dates from Friday, December 6 through Tuesday, December 31 – 13 Celsius is hosting “13 at 13,” a series of 13 curated events during the month of December that bring together chefs, wine and cheesemakers, artists and musicians, and wine. Events range from Sunday Suppers with famed New Orleans chef Dominique Macquet (December 8), Monica Pope and Richard Kaplan (December 15) and Harlem Road Texas BBQ’s Ara Malekian (December 22) to a Wine and Cheese Class with the Houston Dairymaids (December 10). Prices and times vary.
- A Night with the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in the Schmooze Room at Kenny & Ziggy’s Galleria | Saturday, December 7 – To celebrate the release of the new season of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Houston’s favorite deli is throwing a dinner and screening with the show in mind. Courses include choices from matzoh ball soup and shrimp egg rolls with duck sauce to roasted brisket, glazed salmon, pastrami sandwich, and black & white cookies. There will also be pickles, chopped liver, bagel chips and rye bread on the tables. The price is $38, plus tax and gratuity, and includes dinner, snacks, and the show. Wine and beer is available for an additional cost. Reservations are required. 7pm.
- Tamale Festival Houston on Navigation Esplanade | Saturday, December 7 – Celebrate Houston’s diverse culture at the 9th Annual Tamale Festival Houston, with local tamaleros and tamaleras offering goods alongside music and family-friendly activities. Tickets are $5 to $12 for general admission; $75 for VIP. Noon to 9pm.
- 5th Annual Christmas with Krampus Smackdown at Eureka Heights Brew Co | Saturday, December 7 – The Houston Zombie Walk is hosting its annual Christmas with Krampus event, a family-friendly fest featuring holiday-themed wrestling bouts, food trucks, vendors, holiday photos with Santa and Krampus, and a silent auction, raffle, and bake sale, all alongside brews from Eureka Heights Brew Co. The event is open to the public, with $5 donations kindly requested. 1pm to 5pm.
- Tomball German Christmas Market & Festival at Old Town Tomball | Friday, December 13 to Sunday, December 15 | No Cover – Bring the entire family for a Texas-style Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market), where you’ll find 200+ vendors, live music and dancing, a wine petting zoo, street performers, and antiques; plus plenty of great bites and beverages, from festival fare to traditional German food and drink like dark Dunkles Bier, warm cups of Glühwein, brats, strudels, Christmas stollen, and kettle corn. Times vary.
- 12 Bars of Xmas Crawl in Midtown | Saturday, December 14 – Spread your holiday cheer throughout Midtown’s hottest bars at this Christmas-themed pub crawl, with stops including Electric FeelGood, Dogwood, Jack & Ginger’s, Pub Fiction and more. Early-bird tickets are $15. 4pm to 10pm.
- Lights in the Heights | Saturday, December 14 | FREE – Stroll along the pedestrian-friendly route at Lights in the Heights to take in festive displays from nostalgic, twinkling white lights to eclectic, colorfully lighted scenes alongside Christmas carols, jazz bands and more. Before or after you hit up the neighborhood block party, check out the area bars to keep the party going, with Lights in the Heights parties at spots like Sonoma Wine Bar and Christian’s Tailgate on White Oak. 6pm to 9pm.
- Beers & Cheers Holiday Market at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Saturday, December 21 and Sunday, December 22 | No Cover – Sip Saint Arnold brews as you shop a holiday pop-up market, featuring local vendors and artisans and unique gift ideas. The family-friendly event will also feature live music, eats from Saint Arnold, root beer floats for the kiddos, ugly sweaters on sale, and a gift-wrapping station. 11am to 4pm both days.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).