Celebrate the Jewish holiday of Chanukah at events around Greater Houston from Sunday, December 22 through Monday, December 30, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2019
Load up on chocolate gelt (coins), latkes, and other holiday favorites while lighting the menorah and enjoying music, live entertainment, crafts, and other activities during this Chanukah 2019 in Houston.
This year, Chanukah starts on Sunday, December 22, 2019, and concludes on Monday, December 30, 2019. You’ll find plenty of opportunities in between to enjoy the Festival of Lights throughout the month.
Top 10 Things to Do for Chanukah 2019 in Greater Houston
- Helicopter Gelt Drop: Post Oak Menorah Lighting| Monday, December 3 | FREE – The Annual Post Oak Menorah Lighting hosts the Helicopter Gelt Drop Chanukah celebration with crafts for the kids, refreshments, vendors, chocolate gelt dropping from the sky, and the lighting of a giant menorah. The event will be taking place on the intersection of San Felipe Boulevard and S Post Oak Lane. 3pm to 5pm.
- Giant Menorah Lighting Celebration at Sugar Land Town Square | Sunday, December 22 | FREE – Bring the whole family to Sugar Land Town Square for a lighting of the giant menorah, and enjoy a greeting by dignitaries, arts and crafts for children, Israeli food, performances, music, and dancing. 4pm to 6:30pm.
- Menorah Lighting at Market Street in The Woodlands | Sunday, December 22 | FREE – Make your way to The Woodlands Market Street for the annual lighting of a nine-foot, seven-branched Menorah. 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
- Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall | Sunday, December 22 | FREE – The 24th Annual Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall will include addresses by dignitaries and elected officials, music, dreidels, sufganiyot, Chanukah gelt and more on the first night of Chanukah. 7:30pm.
- 10th Annual Chanukah Extravaganza at Evelyn’s Park | Monday, December 23 – The Bellaire Jewish Center hosts its family-friendly 10th Annual Chanukah Extravaganza at Evelyn’s Park. Activities include a latke bar, all-you-can-eat BBQ, face painting, bounce houses, a community menorah lighting and more. Tickets start at $12; $8 for children; and $36 per family. 4:45pm.
- Menorah Lighting at The Galleria | Monday, December 23 | FREE – Enjoy the 9th annual lighting of the 12-foot high menorah, created by I. Cohen, at The Galleria. There will be a children’s choir, dreidels, sufganiyah (Israeli doughnuts), and Chanukah gelt (chocolate coins). 6:30pm to 7:15pm.
- Chanukah Family Mitzvah Project at Aishel House | Tuesday, December 24 | FREE – Prepare Chanukah treats for Aishel House patients, then enjoy an outdoor menorah lighting and Chanukah refreshments with Chabad of West Houston. 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
- The Big Chanukah Party at The Meyerland Minyan Synagogue | Thursday, December 26 – The Meyerland Minyan Synagogue hosts The Big Chanukah Party complete with BBQ, a latke bar, games, live music, activities for the kids and more. Tickets are $20 for adults; $10 for kids ages 3 to 12. 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Chanukah Shabbat Dinner at Chabad West Houston | Friday, December 27 – Head to Chabad West Houston for their Chanukah Shabbat Dinner featuring an outdoor Menorah lighting, a Shabbat candle lighting and service, and dinner. Tickets are $50 for a family of 4; $18 for adults; $10 for senior citizens and children under 10. 4:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Chanukah Celebration: 75 Menorahs for 75 Years at Congregation Emanu El | Friday, December 27 – Congregation Emanu El celebrates its 75th anniversary with its annual Chanukah service and latke supper featuring brisket and vegetarian options. Tickets are $8. 6pm to 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).