Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
One of the nation’s largest historically black colleges sits on a 150-acre campus in the Greater Third Ward. Texas State University was founded in 1927, and today it boasts 11 colleges and schools to serve students of various socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. Located right near Midtown, Downtown, EaDo, and neighboring college University of Houston, there is no shortage of fun nightlife opportunities nearby.
The Best Bars Near Texas Southern University
- Axelrad Beer Garden – Just a hop, skip, and a jump away in Midtown, this laidback beer garden is popular as ever thanks to its stellar lineup of craft beers, the next-door pizza joint, and a yard full of hammocks. Hit the sprawling yard to sip brews, cocktails, and wines, and keep an eye out for fun events including live music, food trucks, and free movie screenings. Click here for directions.
- Dbar – Located off Emancipation Avenue, this Third Ward bar and lounge rocks DJs, drink specials, hookah, food on the patio, Texan victory parties, comedy nights and more. Click here for directions.
- Extra Credit Rooftop Bar – Over at the University of Houston, this rooftop bar (formerly known as Calhoun’s) rocks 7,000 square feet with views of the UH Campus and Downtown skyline. Stop by for DJ parties, happy hour, sports games, college nights and more. Click here for directions.
- The Den – UH’s original campus bar keeps late-night hours (read: 2am), seven nights a week. Hit the sports bar to catch football games and daily specials like $5 LIT Tuesdays and Bingo Saturdays. Click here for directions.
- The Spot – This tiny, laidback Third Ward spot hosts homecoming and game day parties, live DJs, happy hour specials, and food trucks and vendors on weekends. Click here for directions.
- East End Hardware – Right on Leeland Street, this cool spot is known for its New Orleans-style boozy snoballs straight from the SnoWizard machine, and with rotating flavors from Negroni to the $5 Strocones available during ‘Stros games. Stop by for Steak Night, Trivia Night and more. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options near Texas Southern University
Spend Friday and Saturday night dancing at Grooves of Houston; go for low-key jazz and cigars at Club 3710; check out top watering holes in nearby neighborhood’s, like Truck Yard, Neil’s Bahr and Miss Carousel in EaDo; Moon Tower Inn and Satellite Bar in the East End; and Wooster’s Garden and Holman Draft Hall in Midtown.