In our Where to Brunch series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best brunch offerings. Originally published in 2017, we are now refreshing, updating, and adding to this series, including new neighborhoods and destinations.
Just southwest of Downtown, the Museum District is a beautiful area that is home to a collection of at least 20 museums, galleries, cultural centers, and community organizations. With so much culture and beauty, there’s no shortage of entertainment here, including these soul-satisfying brunch offerings.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the Museum District is defined as the area bordered by Richmond and Wheeler to the north, Montrose and Main to the west, Holcombe to the south and Highway 288 to the east, plus the Menil Campus.
Where to Brunch in the Museum District
- B.B. Lemon – The Montrose location of this casual yet elevated eatery and bar offers straightforward food and cocktails that blend the best of owner Benjamin Berg’s favorite cities, Houston and New York. At brunch, that means you can dine on corned beef eggs benny, banana pudding French toast, pulled pork and cornbread waffles, all-American Texas Wagyu burgers, blue crab beignets, and French onion soup. Saturday and Sunday 11am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- Bistro Menil – This European-inspired bistro sits on the beautiful Menil Collection campus and boasts an incredible three day weekend-long brunch. Morning cocktails, from blood orange mimosas to Italian red sangria, are offered by the carafe, or browse their extensive list of by-the-glass options, including Irish coffee and sake mojitos. Sip on your beverage of choice and linger over plates of jamón Serrano and eggs Lyonnaise, Scottish smoked salmon, and their classic Belgian waffle done two ways. Friday through Sunday 10am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- La Villa – Top Chef France finalist Kevin d’Andréa offers Southern French coastal fare in a beautiful setting at this refined spot. Dine on fresh, buttery croissants and chaussons aux pommes, truffle scrambled eggs, “day boat caught” snapper ceviche, and grass-fed bavette steak frites. Saturday and Sunday 11am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- Lucille’s – It’s all about Southern comfort at this charming neighborhood haunt. Start with grandma-style chili biscuits and cornmeal-crusted fried green tomatoes, then dig into hot cake stacks and wings, Gulf shrimp and grits, and 44 Farms flat iron chicken-fried steak and eggs. You’ll need mimosas and sangria to wash it all down, of course. Saturday and Sunday 10am to 3pm. Click here for directions.
- Monarch at Hotel ZaZa – Housed in the super chic and luxe Hotel ZaZa, Monarch restaurant rocks a gorgeous terrace overlooking the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and the Mecom Fountain. Head here to feast on brunch eats from lobster frittata to roasted chicken chilaquiles. Saturday and Sunday 11am to 2pm. Click here for directions.
More Great Brunch Options in Museum District
Go for an early brunch at the Museum District outpost of the fan-favorite Barnaby’s Café; dig into honey chicken biscuits and smoked gouda burgers at Night Heron just down the street from Menil Campus; and fuel up on tacos and margaritas at Bodegas Taco Shop.