Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Located in Houston’s Midtown Cultural Arts and Entertainment District, the soulful Mid Main neighborhood sits along the 3500-3700 blocks of Main Street, right between the Texas Medical Center and Downtown. One of Houston’s more walkable ‘hoods, there’s no shortage of bars and nightlife opportunities.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the walkable area of Mid Main spreads from Elgin to Alabama, between Louisiana/Milam and Fannin.
The Best Bars in Mid Main
- Alley Kat Bar & Lounge – Sitting near the corner of Main and West Alabama, this sultry, cool cat’s bar and lounge rocks fun stuff like live music, whiskey Wednesdays, poetry and jazz nights, comedy shows, mixers and more. Click here for directions.
- Beer Market – With a beer vault containing hundreds of beers from around the world, this happening sports bar is a popular spot with craft beer nerds. And sports fans, too, as the bar and kitchen rocks wall-to-wall flat screens, plus great pub grub and specials like Taco Tuesdays, Steak & Brew Wednesdays, and Friday Steak Night. Click here for directions.
- The Continental Club/Shoeshine Charley’s Big Top Lounge – The Continental Club is a local nightlife icon, a destination for roots rock, Gulf Coast soul, traditional country and blues, rockabilly, and garage rock. The Big Top is an extension of the music club, offering a bar and dance club experience, live music and plenty of good times. Click here for directions.
- Double Trouble Caffeine & Cocktails – This Main Street legend offers you the chance to get caffeinated and boozed up. Head to this coffee and cocktail joint to sip serious cocktails like the Betty Whizzle, a vodka, housemade coffee-infused rum liqueur, fresh cream and espresso number; or the Captain’s Orders, with rye, French Vermouth, allspice dram, orange bitters, and absinthe. Click here for directions.
- Holman Draft Hall – Set in a revamped building on Holman, this chic indoor/outdoor bar rocks plush couches, swing seats, and plenty of drinks. Make your way through the 100-tap brew wall, or enjoy wines, frozen cocktails, and mimosas alongside snacks and shareables, from the piled high tandoori nachos to roasted cauliflower and citrus gochujang wings. Click here for directions.
- Wooster’s Garden – This sibling establishment to Holman Draft Hall (and Heights Bier Garten/Wooster’s Annex) was the O.G. of the bunch. Hit it to relax, imbibe, and socialize with craft cocktails, beers, and house shots, and supplement those drinks with eats like warm pretzels, charcuterie and cheese platters, and cheeseburgers. Click here for directions.