Make the most of your week with our top 10 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, September 30 to Sunday, October 6, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in October 2019
Top 10 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Halloween Haunted House at National Museum of Funeral History | Daily – Get into the Halloween spirit at the National Museum of Funeral History’s family-friendly Haunted House. The annual haunted house is rated PG-13 and is recommended for age 12 and up. Age 11 and under are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult. Haunted house admission is $5 for adults; $3 for children 11 and under; tickets are half-price when purchased with museum admission. Times vary.
- Original Greek Festival at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral | Thursday, October 3 to Sunday, October 6 – Get yourself to Houston’s longest-running Greek fest, situated in Montrose and near the Museum District. The grounds of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral loaded with tents selling authentic Greek foods and pastries, Greek coffee, wine, and beer. Live Greek music and Greek folk dancing keep the four-day party going. Kids and can explore the Athenian playground, with inflatable playscapes and mechanical rides. Tickets are $5 at the gate; kids 12 and under are admitted free. Everyone is admitted free on Friday from 11am to 3pm. Times vary.
- Movies on the Lawn: Hocus Pocus Movie Screening at First Colony Mall | Thursday, October 3 | FREE – The Lawn at First Colony Mall presents a free movie screening of Disney’s Hocus Pocus, the witch-laden 1983 classic film starring Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker. The Sanderson sisters are back from the dead in a modern world and they’re on the hunt for children. Rated PG. 7pm to 9:30pm.
- 40th Annual Festival Chicano at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Thursday, October 3 to Saturday, October 5 | FREE – Immerse yourself in a cultural celebration of all things Chicano music, featuring sub-genres ranging from Tejano and Conjunto to Mariachi and Orchestra, when Miller Outdoor Theatre hosts the 40th Annual Festival Chicano. 7pm each night
- 16th Annual Run in the Park at Molly Ann Smith Plaza | Saturday, October 5 – Race through the scenic Hermann Park during their annual in Molly Ann Smith Plaza. Participants can join a 10K run, 5K run, 5K walk, or 1K kids run, which will all conclude with a post-race party featuring food, drinks, music and more. Registration costs $30 for the 10K and 5K; $15 for the 1K Kids’ Fun Run. 8am.
- Pearland Art and Crafts on the Pavilion at Pearland Town Center | Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6 | FREE – Shop for original art, artisan wares, and custom-made goods at the 6th annual Pearland Art and Crafts on the Pavilion this fall. The free two-day event, produced by the Pearland Convention & Visitors Bureau, provides visitors and residents with great shopping opportunities, live music, and a variety of activities centered on art. 10am to 5pm both days.
- 11th Annual Korean Festival Houston at Discovery Green | Saturday, October 5 | FREE – Celebrate Korean culture as the Korean-American Society of Houston hosts the 11th Annual 2019 Korean Festival Houston at Discovery Green in Downtown. Drawing tens of thousands of visitors in the past, this outdoor festival will feature cultural presentations and live performances, traditional cuisine from Korean food vendors, interactive games, art and more. 10am to 10pm.
- Battle of the Piney Woods at NRG Stadium | Saturday, October 5 – Root for your pick to win one of the oldest college rivalries in the country, the Battle of Piney Woods, at NRG Stadium. As usual, Sam Houston State University will take on Stephen F. Austin State University in its 94th year. Tickets start at $15. 3pm.
- Community Night Out at City Hall Complex | FREE – This family-friendly event will feature live music from the masters of funk, S.O.S. Band performing hits like “Take Your Time (Do It Right) and more. Famed DJ Kid Capri takes the stage performing live on the 1s and 2s. This year will also feature live storytelling on the City’s outdoor Community Center Performance Plaza, face painting, food trucks, and more. 4pm to 10pm.
- Houston Afro Creole Music Festival 2019 at India House | Sunday, October 6 – Experience Creole, Caribbean, and African culture with live music, dance performances, food, fashion and more at the family-friendly Houston Afro Creole Music Festival India House. Tickets in advance are $20. Noon to 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).