Make the most of your week with our top 17 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, September 9 to Sunday, September 15, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in September 2019
Cheer on the Texans in their season home opener; taste cocktails made by the city’s top mixologists; take the family to a colorful concert by Nickelodeon’s JoJo Siwa; stuff your face with a plateful of pork and cornbread; celebrate Mexican Independence Day with a free show and more.
Top 17 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Kiss in Concert at Toyota Center | Monday, September 9 – Don’t miss your last chance to see a larger-than-life performance by rock icons Kiss when they stop in Houston’s Toyota Center on their farewell tour following a 45-year career in music. Tickets start at $39.50, but you may also find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 7:30pm.
- A Chorus Line at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Starts Tuesday, September 10 – Discover the one, singular sensation that is A Chorus Line, presented by Theatre Under the Stars at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. The Tony Award-winning musical follows the story of 17 dancers as they audition for the opportunity of a lifetime. Tickets start at $40, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- The National in Concert at White Oak Music Hall | Wednesday, September 11 – Catch a live show by The National when they perform at White Oak Music Hall in support of their critically-acclaimed, eighth studio album, I Am Easy to Find, released in May. Tickets are $52.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 5:30pm.
- Iron Bartender at Backstreet Cafe | Wednesday, September 11 – Watch as the city’s top mixologists whip up their tastiest cocktail recipes to pair with a multi-course menu prepared by James Beard Award-winner Chef Hugo Ortega during The Periwinkle Foundation’s Iron Bartender competition at Backstreet Cafe. Finalists include BCN Taste & Tradition’s Jose Santiago, Garrett Jones from Johnny’s Gold Brick, Kristine Nguyen of Nancy’s Hustle; and Carlos “Chino” Serrano, who tends the bar at Xochi. Tickets start at $75. 6pm to 9pm.
- Houston Ballet presents Giselle at Wortham Theater Centre | Friday, September 13 to Sunday, September 15 – Experience the 19th-century romanticism of Giselle when the Houston Ballet performs Stanton Welch’s mesmerizing choreography set to music by Adolphe Adam at the Wortham Theater Center in Downtown. Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Nickelodeon’s JoJo Siwa D.R.E.A.M. The Tour at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, September 13 – Treat the kids to a live show featuring the YouTube sensation and Nickelodeon star, Joelle Joanie “JoJo” Siwa, at Smart Financial Centre. You can expect all the colorful music, dance, and kid-friendly fun for which she’s known and loved. Tickets range from $39.50 to $69.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Utah Royals FC at BBVA Compass Stadium | Friday, September 13 – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Royals in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium in the heart of EaDo. Tickets start at $15. 7:30pm.
- México en el Corazón at Discovery Green | Friday, September 13 | FREE – Explore the world of Mariachi music, folkloric ballet and other aspects of Mexican heritage when NAIMA presents México en el Corazón, which includes a performance of “El Grito de la Independencia” by Deputy Consul Adolfo Garcia. 7pm to 9pm.
- Advocare Texas Kickoff Classic: Houston Cougars vs. Washington State Cougars at NRG Stadium | Friday, September 13 – Jump right into football season with the annual Advocare Texas Kickoff. This year’s game pits our very own Houston Cougars against the Washington State Cougars at NRG Park. Tickets start at $19, but you may click here to check for discounted tickets. 8:15pm.
- The Republic of Porkdom at George Ranch | Saturday, September 14 – Scarf down heaps of pork and cornbread when George Ranch Historical Park hosts the Republic of Porkdom celebration of the two Southern staples. At the event, you can learn about the history of the dishes and their importance to early Texians. Tickets are $15; $12 for ages 65 and up; $10 for ages 4 to 12; free for ages 3 and under. 10am to 5pm.
- Drag Diva Brunch: Beyonce at House of Blues | Saturday, September 14 – All hail the Queen Bey with a Drag Diva Brunch dedicated to the Houston native at House of Blues Restaurant and Bar. Expect performances of all Beyonce’s biggest hits, including “Single Ladies,” “Flawless,” and “Crazy in Love.” Tickets are $40 and include seating, a meal, and a choice of mimosa or a bloody mary for ages 21 and up. 11am.
- 7th Annual Houston AfriFest | Saturday, September 14 – Experience the sights, sounds, tastes, and cultures of various African countries during the seventh annual Houston AfriFest, held on the Houston Baptist University campus. They’ll offer authentic cuisine, live music and dance performances, and shopping, as well as games raffles fit for all ages. Tickets are $5 in advance for general admission; $10 on the day of the event; free for ages 12 and under, students with valid IDs, and ages 60 and up. Noon to 8pm.
- 19th Annual Intuitive & Wellness Fair at Sundance Yoga Studio in Friendswood | Saturday, September 14 | No Cover – Discover and experience a variety of health and wellness services at the nineteenth annual Intuitive & Wellness Fair in Friendswood. Services include henna tattoos, ionic foot detox baths, light therapy, essential oil readings with chakra release, angelic readings, tarot, reiki, massage, acupuncture, Graston technique and more. Participants can try a 20-minute experience for $20. 2pm to 7pm.
- Houston Jerk Fest 2019 at Midtown Park | Saturday, September 14 – Spice up your Saturday with the Houston Jerk Fest, which includes a jerk seasoning cookout and competition, as well as food trucks, live music, a kids zone, and shopping, all at Midtown Park. Tickets are $20 for general admission, with VIP tickets available. 2pm to 10pm.
- The Roula and Ryan Road Show at Revention Music Center | Saturday, September 14 – Put a face to the voices of 104.1 KRBE’s morning radio show, Roula & Ryan, as they take the stage of Smart Financial Centre. Expect to see the show’s signature bits, including Roula & Ryan’s Roses, Special K’s Prank Calls, and The Mystery Box, throughout the adults-only evening. Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 6:30pm.
- Rice Owls vs. Texas Longhorns at NRG Stadium | Saturday, September 14 – Cheer on your college football team when the Rice Owls take on the Texas Longhorns for the first time in four years at NRG Stadium. Tickets range from $25 to over $225, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Houston Texans vs Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 15 – Watch the Houston Texans take the field for their home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG. Tickets start at $46, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market. Noon.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).