Celebrate Mexico’s independence from Spain at Mexican Fiestas Patrias events around Houston from Friday, September 13 leading up to Diez y Seis de Septiembre itself on Sunday, September 15, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in September 2019
Officially, Mexico’s official patriotic independence day holidays begin the evening of September 15, kicked off by the symbolic Grito de Dolores. The name comes from Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla in the village of Dolores, whose call out (the grito) for an end to Spanish rule, in 1810.
Fifteen years later, the Republic of Mexico chose that historic event as the start of their independence, selecting the day that followed it as Mexico’s Dia de la Independencia.
Mexican Independence Day & Fiestas Patrias 2019 Events in Houston
- México en el Corazón at Discovery Green | Friday, September 13 | FREE – The México en el Corazón showcase of traditional Mexican culture features more than 50 performers at Discovery Green. Immerse yourself into the artistic world of Mariachi music, folkloric ballet, and other representations of Mexican heritage. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Amenecer Co. Coffee Pop-Up: El Grito at Tierra de los Artesanos: The Fair Market | Saturday, September 14 | No Cover – Enjoy a coffee brunch pop-up with a celebratory twist for Mexico’s Independence Day at El Grito at Tierra de Los Artesanos: The Fair Market. There will be a Mezcal tasting, horchata cold brew, chilaquiles, pan dulce and live music from a mariachi band. 9am to noon.
- Houston Fiestas Patrias Parade in Downtown | Saturday, September 14 | FREE – Celebrate the Mexican Independence Day, Fiestas Patrias, with dance performances, live music and more at this colorful parade through Downtown. 10am to 1pm.
- Fiestas Patrias 2019 with Telemundo Houston at Traders Village Houston | Sunday, September 15 | FREE – Telemundo Houston and Traders Village team up for their annual Fiestas Patrias celebration featuring, live music, Aztec dancers, a mariachi band, folkloric ballet, and traditional foods. Admission is free, but it’s $4 for parking per vehicle. Noon to 4pm.
- Viva La Cultura Festival at Karbach Brewing Co. | Sunday, September 15 | No Cover – Karbach Brewing Co. and East End Studio Gallery host their family-friendly Viva La Cultura Festival with a market, ballet Folklorico, a mariachi band, street tacos and more. Noon to 9pm.
- Houston Symphony: Fiesta Sinfónica at Jones Hall | Sunday, September 15 | FREE – Fiesta Sinfónica, a Houston Symphony tradition, celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with a free program featuring the music of Latin America and classical favorites. 6pm.
- El Grito at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Sunday, September 15 | FREE – Commemorate Mexican Independence Day with a traditional Grito ceremony and musical performance honoring Don Antonio Aguilar at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 7:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).