Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during September 2019.
Also in September 2019
Happening This Week
Back-to-school means back to relishing the weekend, and this month brings plenty of fun activities where you can do just that.
Bust out your Texans gear for the always-anticipated return of football season; show off your gaming skills at a competitive tournament; stuff your face with shellfish galore at an annual festival in Galveston; watch James Harden take on Yao Ming in a preseason basketball game; sing along to a live show by John Mayer or the Jonas Brothers and more.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of September.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: September 2019
- Labor Day Events Around Houston | Sunday, September 1 and Labor Day, Monday, September 2 – Take a load off and honor the U.S. workforce this Labor Day with plenty of parties, parades, and celebrations in and around Houston. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Taste of the Caribbean Festival 2019 | Sunday, September 1 – Experience Caribbean culture with authentic cuisine, live music, art, dance performances and more at Taste of the Caribbean Festival 2019 in Crown Festival Park. Presale tickets start at $20. 2pm to 10pm.
- Comedians Rhett & Link – Live in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, September 4 – Crack up when comedians Rhett and Link bring their “Internetainment” act to the stage at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. The duo is known for the online comedy show, Good Mythical Morning. Tickets start at $46, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Maná in Concert at Toyota Center | Friday, September 6 – Head to Toyota Center for a concert by Maná, known for their best-selling Spanish-language rock albums. Tickets start at $29.50, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- John Mayer in Concert at Toyota Center | Sunday, September 8 – Experience a live performance of John Mayer’s greatest hits when the iconic musician plays music spanning his lengthy career with no opening act. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Advocare Texas Kickoff Classic: Houston Cougars vs. Washington State Cougars at NRG Stadium | Friday, September 13 – Jump right into football season with the annual Advocare Texas Kickoff. This year’s game pits our very own Houston Cougars against the Washington State Cougars at NRG Park. Tickets start at $19, but you may click here to check for discounted tickets. 8:15pm.
- Houston Texans vs Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 15 – Watch the Houston Texans take the field for their home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG. Tickets start at $54, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market. Noon
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park | Friday, September 20 to Sunday, September 22 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Los Angeles Angels in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets range from $20 to $148, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Times vary.
- Houston Dash vs. Washington Spirit at BBVA Stadium | Wednesday, September 25 – Keep an eye out for World Cup winner Rose Lavelle when the Dash plays against Washington Spirit in a home game at BBVA Stadium. Tickets start at $15, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- John Witherspoon at Houston Improv | Thursday, September 26 through Sunday, September 29 – Laugh it up when John Witherspoon brings his wildly popular stand-up set to Houston Improv. The comic is best-known for his roles on TV and the silver screen, such as his part as the dog-catching dad in the Friday trilogy. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- The Jonas Brothers in Concert at Toyota Center | Thursday, September 26 – Go full-on fangirl when the Grammy-winning Jonas Brothers return to Toyota Center for the first time in a decade on the “Happiness Begins” tour. Online ticket purchases come with a copy of their latest album, also titled Happiness Begins. Jordan McGraw opens the show. Tickets start at $64.95, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Gamertagg Nation at Toyota Center | Saturday, September 28 – Showcase your gaming skills while playing Madden 20, Fortnite, or NBA 2K20 in a competitive tournament during Gamertagg Nation at Toyota Center. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top players. Tickets are $65. 10:30am.
- Galveston Island Shrimp Festival | Friday, September 27 to Saturday, September 28 – Get your fill of Gulf Coast shrimp during Galveston Island’s annual shrimp festival. Shellfish lovers can attend a VIP kick-off party, Gumbo Stroll, the Lil’ Shrimp’s Parade, a shrimp cook-off, and a 5k race. Tickets for shrimp without the gumbo stroll (shrimp and beer dinner combo) are $20. Times vary.
- The Morning After, A Houston Press Brunch Event at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, September 28 – Eat your way through bottomless brunch samples from top eateries like BCK, Duck Donuts, Frenchy’s, and Max’s Wine Dive, which are all participating in the Houston Press’ fourth annual brunch event, The Morning After, at Silver Street Studios. Tickets start at $40. 11:30am to 2:30pm; 11am for VIP.
- Houston Rockets vs. Shanghai Sharks at Toyota Center | Monday, September 30 – Kick off the 2019 basketball preseason with the Rockets when they play against Yao Ming and the Shanghai Sharks at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $15, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).