Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, August 26 to Sunday, September 1, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
Feast on a globally inspired, seven-course meal with wine pairings; kick off football season with a preseason Texans game; dress up as your favorite character from Stranger Things for a themed event in Midtown; cheer on some of the country’s top marching bands; discover Caribbean culture at a downtown culinary festival and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Preseason: Houston Texans vs. Los Angeles Rams | Thursday, August 29 – Watch the Houston Texans play against the Los Angeles Rams in a preseason game on their home turf at NRG. Tickets start at $61, but you might find cheaper, better, hard-to-find tickets available on TicketNetwork’s online marketplace. 7pm.
- Feelin’ Groovy 5 at The Music Box Theater | Ends Friday, August 30 – Groove to songs from the ‘60s and ‘70s with covers of Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones and more at Music Box Theatre. Tickets start at $31.50, but limited discounted $15.50 tickets are available for select shows. 7:30pm daily.
- BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival at Moody Gardens Convention Center | Friday, August 30 to Sunday, September 1 – Drink up at the annual BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival, which features a variety of beer- and liquor-related activities throughout the weekend. Special events include the Nach-Yo Ordinary Tequila Tasting, BrewHaHa Grand Tasting, and Brew-B-Que. Three-day tickets cost $165; two-day passes are $135; prices vary for individual events. Times vary per event.
- Exhibit: Icons In Ash at National Museum of Funeral History | Friday, August 30 to Monday, September 2 – Admire a selection of Heide Hatry’s intricate memorial portraits made from the cremated remains of their deceased subjects at Icons In Ash at the National Museum of Funeral History. Tickets cost $10 for ages 12 and up; $9 for ages 65+ and veterans; $7 for ages 6 to 11; free for ages 5 and under. Times vary.
- Music on the Plaza: August 2019 at Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | Friday, August 30 | FREE – Enjoy performances by poet Zachary Caballero and the rock band, Handsomebeast, as MFAH presents its third and final installment of the 2019 Music on the Plaza series. 6pm to 9pm.
- Houston Symphony presents The Little Mermaid at Jones Hall | Saturday, August 31 and Sunday, September 1 – Enjoy an undersea adventure when the Houston Symphony plays the award-winning score of Disney’s The Little Mermaid while the film is projected onto the big screen at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $59, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Tree House Happy Hour at The Grove | Saturday, August 31 | No Cover – Take in the views of Discovery Green while pairing discounted drinks with tasty apps (think shrimp corn dogs, red pepper hummus, and truffle fries) during The Grove’s Tree House Happy Hour series. 4pm to 7pm.
- Stranger Things Night at Social Beer Garden HTX | Saturday, August 31 | No Cover – Embrace the ‘80s nostalgia of Netflix’s Stranger Things at this themed event presented by Social Beer Garden HTX. They’ll have costumes, retro music, novelties, art and more. 5pm to 10pm.
- TableOne Dinner Series at Royal Sonesta Houston | Saturday, August 31 – Indulge in an intimate, seven-course meal and wine pairing prepared by Chef Robert Graham as part of the TableOne Dinner Series at Royal Sonesta. This month’s menu features a sequence of dishes fusing Floridian and Caribbean fare. Tickets are $150. For those looking to make a night of it, Royal Sonesta Houston is offering a hotel guest room package starting at $193, which you can book using promo code TABLE 1. 7pm to 10:30pm.
- Backstreet Boys in Concert at Toyota Center | Saturday, August 31 – Channel your inner ‘90s fan girl and scream “Backstreet’s back!” when the iconic boy band returns to the stage for a world tour that stops in Houston’s Toyota Center. Tickets start at $45, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Taste of the Caribbean Festival 2019 at Crown Festival Park in Sugar Land| Sunday, September 1 – Experience Caribbean culture with authentic cuisine, live music, art, dance performances and more at Taste of the Caribbean Festival 2019 in Crown Festival Park. Presale tickets start at $20. 2pm to 10pm.
- National Battle of the Bands at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 1 – Get hyped for Houston’s first year hosting the National Battle of the Bands, where the country’s top marching bands will battle it out with powerful drum beats, impressive precision, stunning dance moves and more at NRG Stadium. Tickets are $15. 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).