Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Though it may have been a ghost town in the past, the strip along Washington Avenue, stretching from Downtown through Memorial Park, is now jungle of mixed use developments, homes and apartment complexes, restaurants, and a bustling Arts District. It also offers quite the nightlife experience.
Note: For purposes of this list, the Washington Corridor runs along Washington Avenue from Memorial Park to I-45, with a few blocks north and south.
The Best Bars in the Washington Corridor
- Julep – From bourbon queen Alba Huerta, Southern charm is in full effect at this stylish cocktailery. Hit it to drink your way through the South via creations like the Ramos Gin Fizz, Queens Park Swizzle, and classic Mint Julep. And sip them alongside elevated bar bites like oyster and boudin plates, spicy pepper pimento cheese, and “Nashville style” hot duck confit. Click here for directions.
- Clutch Bar – Open til 2am all week long, this popular sports bar and party spot always brings the fun. Hit the patio on nicer evenings, enjoy pub grub from bbq chicken flatbread to burgers and steak burritos (the kitchen’s open ‘til midnight), and get ready to party well into the night. Click here for directions.
- Concrete Cowboy – The rowdy crowd will want to check out this bass-bumping dance club, which is only open Thursday to Sunday from 8pm to 2am. Click here for directions.
- Henderson Heights Pub – Looking for a low-key, friendly vibe? You’ll get it at this bright red Henderson Street watering hole, located just off Washington and rocking both a shaded outdoor, dog-friendly patio, and an indoor lounge with TVs for sports watching. Nosh on bar pies, quesadillas, and loaded tots while you imbibe. Click here for directions.
- Kung Fu Saloon – This fun-loving rocks karaoke rooms, vintage arcade games, ping pong, skee-ball, pickle shots and more. To quench your thirst, there’s also a full bar and lineup of tasty craft suds, and great bar food—think Cap’n Crunch fried pickles, spicy Korean pork tacos, and panko-crusted cheddar burgers—to go alongside. Click here for directions.
- Liberty Station – This Washington Ave bar and patio may be tiny, but it packs a punch with its thoughtful selection of cocktails and beers by the draft and bottle. Sip a stiff drink or cold brew, play a game of foosball or cornhole, and grab grub from a rotating selection of food trucks. Click here for directions.
- NettBar – Built around a repurposed 1900s structure, this relaxing spot is a place to bring your dog, play some yard games, and socialize. Sip whiskey-spiked frozen lemonades, local crafts, and $2 bartender’s choice shots whenever the train is passing by; and lookout for fun events like Singo Bingo, Trivia Night, and Steak Night. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Bar hop along Washington and hit popular spots like Lincoln Bar, Underdogs Pub, and the LGBTQ-friendly Pearl Lounge; chill out at laidback spots like Porch Swing Pub, Darkhorse Tavern, and FM Kitchen and Bar; check out breweries like Platypus Brewing, Holler Brewing Co., and Buffalo Bayou Brewery (which is opening its bigger, better location in the First Ward); and go dancing at nightclub lounges and bars like Fox Hollow, Aura, and Axis & Alibi.