Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, August 19 to Sunday, August 25, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
Cheer on the Dash as they go head-to-head with Sky Blue FC; scarf down tacos and margaritas during a Washington Ave bar crawl; support local artists at Galveston’s annual ArtWalk; belt out the lyrics to “Barracuda” and “Crazy on You” when Heart performs live; dress up as a wizard for this month’s Mixers & Elixirs event and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Astros vs. Detroit Tigers at Minute Maid Park | Wednesday, August 21 – Be one of the first 10,000 fans to enter Minute Maid Park and receive a Josh Reddick ‘On Base’ Bobblehead during the Astros’ game against the Detroit Tigers. Tickets start at $9, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:10pm.
- Man Overboard! at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Friday, August 23 and Saturday, August 24 – Marvel as NobleMotion’s team of dancers performs a four-part production of Man Overboard! at Hobby Center. Tickets start at $20. 7:30pm both days.
- Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, August 23 and Saturday, August 24 | FREE – Ooh and ahh at a performance of musical circus art celebrating Taiwanese culture and history during Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8pm both days.
- Death and the Maiden at Spring Street Studios | Starts Friday, August 23 – Watch playwright Ariel Dorfman’s examination of human rights violations and abuses of power in a performance of Death and the Maiden, featured as part of the 2019 Houston Equity Festival. Tickets are $20. Showtimes vary.
- Heart in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Friday, August 23 – Rock out to a live show from the iconic sister duo, Heart, when they perform alongside Joan Jett and Elle King at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $29.50, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- 33rd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition on Galveston Island’s East Beach | Saturday, August 24 | FREE – Watch as more than 60 teams stretch out along the beach to sculpt their carefully planned creations and compete for the Golden Bucket Award at the 33rd edition of the AIA Sandcastle Competition. Included with beach admission. 10am to 4:30pm.
- Houston Tacos & Margs Crawl on Washington | Saturday, August 24 – Feast on tacos, then wash it all down with a refreshing margarita during this Washington Avenue bar crawl inspired by the Mexican food and drink. Participating bars include Axis & Alibi, Clutch, Concrete Cowboy, Kung Fu Saloon, Standard Bar & Kitchen and more. Tickets start at $19.99. 2pm to 9pm.
- Galveston ArtWalk on Galveston Island | Saturday, August 24 | FREE – Browse commercial galleries and non-profit art spaces in one of the Galveston Arts Center’s largest programs, ArtWalk. Held in the heart of Galveston’s historic district, the weekly event supports the local arts community by offering alternative places to see and learn about the visual arts. 6pm to 9pm.
- Mixers & Elixirs at the Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, August 24 – Mix and mingle among the dinosaurs during this wizard-themed cocktail hour at HMNS. This month’s event will feature music from Electric Circus and DJ Dame Hype, as well as food truck eats from Nom Mi Streets, Dlish, Nola Poboys, Waffle Bus, and Dipped. Tickets are $25 for non-members; $15 for members. 7pm to 10pm.
- The B-52s in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, August 24 – Belt out the lyrics to “Love Shack,” “Roam,” and “Rock Lobster” when the B-52s take the stage for a live show alongside OMD and Berlin at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $59.50, but limited discounted tickets start at $45, or you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Sky Blue FC at BBVA Stadium | Saturday, August 24 – Cheer on the Dash as they play against Sky Blue FC, including back-to-back Women’s World Cup champ Carli Lloyd, in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $15. 7:30pm.
- Theater District Open House in Downtown | Sunday, August 25 | FREE – Explore Downtown’s Theatre District during this annual, family-friendly event that allows visitors to view performances, take a ballet class, learn how to apply stage makeup, and score discounted tickets for upcoming shows. Noon to 5pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, August 25 – Head to Minute Maid Park with your pup in tow when the venue hosts Dog Day while the Astros play against the Los Angeles Angels. Special ticket packages and proof of vaccinations are required. Tickets start at $10, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 1:10pm.
- George Clinton with Parliament Funkadelic in Concert at Revention Music Center | Sunday, August 25 – Boogie down to the music of legendary funk group George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic at Revention Music Center during their “Farewell Tour.” Opening acts include Galactic, Fishbone, Dumpstaphunk, and Miss Velvet & The Blue Wolf. Tickets start at $22. 7pm.
- Smashing Pumpkins at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Sunday, August 25 – Rock out at a concert by the Smashing Pumpkins and Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds as they team up for a summer tour that stops at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets range from 29.50 to $179.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).