Make the most of your week with our top 10 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, August 19 to Sunday, August 25, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
Top 10 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Be Our Guest WonderWeek at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Tuesday, August 20 to Saturday, August 24 – Celebrate the last weeks of summer in royal style at the FBCDC. Join them for Snowflake Princesses, Knight Shields, a Costume Design Studio, Exploring Earth: Filtered Light and more. Tickets to the event are included in price of general admission ticket. 10am to 6pm each day.
- Memorial Park 101: Summer Blooms at Memorial Park Conservancy | Tuesday, August 20 | FREE – Join the Memorial Park Conservancy staff for a free hour-long walk highlighting some of the gorgeous flowers that bloom during the hottest time of year. Walkers will walk approximately 1 to 2 miles on potentially uneven surfaces −so it is advised that those attending bring water and wear comfortable closed-toed walking shoes. Visitors are also asked to meet at the Cullen Running Trails Center. 6pm to 7:30pm.
- Discounted Exhibit Hall Admission at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday, August 23 – Buy a voucher good for a $25 adult general admission ticket for just $11.10, plus ticketing fee to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. The Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of the most visited museums in the nation. Numerous permanent exhibits include the McGovern Hall of the Americas, Cullen Hall of Gems and Minerals, Wiess Energy Hall, popular Hall of Paleontology. Discounted tickets are $11.10. 9am to 5pm.
- Dancing Under the Stars at Sugar Land Town Square | Friday, August 23 | FREE – Break out your dancing shoes and come out to Plaza for a night of Dancing Under the Stars with Fred Astaire Dance Studio instructors. Kids will enjoy twirling and swirling under the night time sky. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, August 23 and Saturday, August 24 | FREE – Celebrate Taiwanese history, tradition, and culture in a once-in-a-lifetime musical circus art experience, Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre. With dance, acrobatics, martial arts complemented with flags, glass orbs, and lanterns, this family-friendly show has something for everyone. 8pm both days.
- 33rd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition on Galveston Island’s East Beach | Saturday, August 24 – Take a stroll on the beach to see sand transformed into works of art. More than 60 teams will compete for the prestigious Golden Bucket Award at this fun, family-friendly sandcastle competition. Awards are given in several categories including Best Traditional Castle, Best Architectural Icon, Kidtastic! – LEGO Edition, Best Science Fiction, Best Sports and more. Tickets for the competition are included with beach admission, which is priced by vehicle and can vary by day of the week, summer dates, and holidays. 10am to 4:30pm.
- Peppa Pig Meet and Greet at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Saturday, August 24 – Meet your favorite pig and snap a picture with Peppa. Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center welcomes the English pig, where kids will also get to join in some pig-inspired activities. Tickets for museum admission is $12; $11 ages 65 and up; both members and infants under 1 get in free. 10am to 4pm.
- After School Activities Fair at Memorial City Mall | Saturday, August 24 | FREE – Check out the best in after school activities for your kids at this activities fair. There are lots of activities available for kids after school, and this is a great opportunity to learn all about them. Visit with local businesses and groups at the Xfinity Fireplace to find the best activity for your child. 11am to 4pm.
- 12th Annual Duck Race at Rob Fleming’s Aquatic Center | Saturday, August 24 – Claim one of 5,000 rubber duckies that will swim, bob, and splash their way across the pool in the 12th Annual Duck Race at Rob Fleming Aquatic Center. The family-friendly fundraiser offers a $1,000 prize to the winning duck’s owner and benefits Montgomery County families in need. Tickets are $5 to “adopt” a duck. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- 26th Annual Theater Open House in Downtown | Sunday, August 25 | FREE – Go behind-the-scenes with Theater District Houston’s performing arts organizations at the free, family-friendly Theater District Open House. The daytime event previews what’s to come in the 2019 to 2020 season with free behind-the-scenes experiences, concerts, performance previews, interactive activities, and special ticket offers. Noon to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).