Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 21 to Sunday, August 25, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday and Saturday | FREE – Celebrate Taiwanese history, tradition, and culture in a once-in-a-lifetime musical circus art experience, Formosa Circus Art at Miller Outdoor Theatre. Each unique performance tells a story steeped in Taiwanese history, from their earliest ancestors through today, exploring how such a small country has become such an amazing cultural influence. 8pm both days.
Wednesday, August 21, 2019
- Evergreen Happy Hour at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center | No Cover – Join the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center’s young professionals group, Evergreen, for a fun happy hour on the patio at their Java Lava Brew. 5:30pm.
- Tootsies Summer Soiree – Women of Wardrobe and Tootsies present their annual Summer Soiree featuring the latest fashions from the local designer Hunter Bell and collections by CQY denim and Mignonne Gavigan. Tickets start at $45 for pre-sale registration. 6:30pm.
- Irish Session & Game Night at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck | No Cover – McGonigel’s Mucky Duck hosts a weekly Wednesday evening celebration of traditional Irish and Celtic music. Patrons are invited to duke it out all evening, choosing from the Irish pub’s healthy selection of board games. 7:30pm.
- Brown Sugar Movie Screening at Rooftop Cinema Club – Rooftop Cinema Club hosts a screening of the romantic movie, Brown Sugar, at BLVD Place. The movie follows 2 friends since childhood, a magazine editor and a hip-hop record executive stumble into romantic territory. Tickets start at $17. 8:30pm.
Thursday, August 22, 2019
- Patron Circle: Lawn Party at CAMH | FREE with RSVP – Join the Patron Circle for an evening of summery treats, live music, and special access to CAMH exhibitions. 6pm to 8pm.
- Retro Rewind Trivia: Pop Divas, Boy Bands and More at Revention Music Center | FREE – Gather your friends for a fun night of retro trivia hosted by Special K of 104.1 KRBE at Revention Music Center. 6:30pm.
- Heart, with Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Elle King in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – The classic rock group led by sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson have returned from a hiatus to embark on a summer tour with Joan Jett. Elle King opens the show. Tickets range from $29.50 to $350, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- ’80s Movies Trivia at Growler USA Katy | No Cover – Talk nothing but classic ’80s movies like The Breakfast Club and E.T. at this trivia night at Growler USA Katy. You must register for this event. 7pm to 9pm.
- Mogwai in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The Scottish post-rock band, Mogwai performs live at White Oak Music Hall with support from Papa M. Tickets are $22 in advance. 7:30pm.
- Island Boogie Thursday at Lei Low Bar | No Cover – All vinyl DJs Alex Aye and 5-D will be funking up the sounds of Paradise every fourth Thursday of the month all summer long at Lei Low Bar. 8pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show at CSz Arena – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Comedian Jen Kirkman at The Heights Theater – Known for her appearances on Chelsea Lately and Conan, as well as her Netflix special I’m Gonna Die Alone, the stand-up comedian and writer, Jen Kirkman, performs at The Heights Theatre. Betty Soo opens the show. Tickets start at $22. 8pm.
- Lunar Rae in Concert at The Rustic | No Cover – The Dallas-based singer-songwriter, Lunar Rae performs live at The Rustic. 8:30pm to 11:30pm.
Friday, August 23, 2019
- Shakey Graves & Dr. Dog in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The Americana singer-songwriter, Shakey Graves co-headlines with the indie rock band, Dr. Dog at White Oak Music Hall. Caroline Rose opens the show. Tickets are $32 in advance; $37 at the door. 6:30pm.
- Joe Ely in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – The Texas honky-tonk singer-songwriter and guitarist, Joe Ely performs live at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $35 in advance; $40 at the door. 7pm.
- Mix It Up: A Collage Art Show at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Check out some local traditional and digital collage artists at the Mix It Up exhibition at Insomnia Gallery. 8pm.
- Kinda Super Disco: Joeski at The Dive | No Cover – The Brooklyn-based DJ, Joeski performs live for the EDM event, Kinda Super Disco at The Dive. Tickets start at $15. 10pm.
- End Of Summer Sixties Dance Party at The Pink Elephant Room | FREE with RSVP – Get groovy and dance to ’60s Pop, Surf Rock, Psych Rock and more at the End of Summer Sixties Dance Party at The Pink Elephant. ’60s attire is encouraged. 10pm.
Saturday, August 24, 2019
- Houston Tacos & Margs Crawl on Washington – This bar crawl invites you to eat your weight in tacos and quench your thirst with margaritas. The tequila-inspired fun will take place at Washington Avenue bars including Axis & Alibi, Clutch, Concrete Cowboy, Kung Fu Saloon, Standard Bar & Kitchen and more. Tickets start at $19.99. 2pm to 9pm.
- Rad on the Bend at Bayou Bend Collections and Gardens – Each Saturday in August, you can beat the summer heat at Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens with discounted admission from 4pm to 6pm. Enjoy live music, refreshing mocktails from Axelrad’s new menu, and sunset-inspired popsicles created by Popston. $10. 4pm.
- Galveston ArtWalk on Galveston Island | FREE – One of the Galveston Arts Center’s largest programs, Galveston ArtWalk promotes visual art and supports our arts-based community, offering alternative places to see and learn about art. 6pm to 9pm.
- Layers: Actual and Implied Opening Reception at Spring Street Studios | FREE – Head over to Spring Street Studios for the opening reception of Layers: Actual and Implied, an art exhibition featuring the work of 20 resident artists and 5 guest artists from the Lee College Art Department faculty. 6pm to 8pm.
- Dreams, Cars, & Hobbies at Dream Event Center | No Cover – Bring out your family and friends for a fun day filled with luxury and classic cars and motorcycles on display at the Dreams, Cars, & Hobbies event at Dreams Event Center. Other activities include live music from The Pelos, food trucks, wine and beer, shopping at their indoor Bazaar and more. 6pm to midnight.
- Mixers & Elixirs at the Houston Museum of Natural Science – Party with the dinosaurs as the Houston Museum of Natural Science opens up its doors for an evening fête. August’s Mixers & Elixirs event is themed “The Wizards of H-Town,” with Electric Circus and DJ Dame Hype hyping up the dancefloor and food trucks including Nom Mi Streets, Dlish, Nola Poboys, Waffle Bus, and Dipped bringing the eats. Tickets are $25 for non-members; $15 for members. 7pm to 10pm.
- The B-52s, with OMD & Berlin in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – With over 20 million albums sold and 40 years later, The B-52s head out on a global anniversary tour with OMD and Berlin opening. Tickets range from $59.50 to $99.50, but limited discounted tickets start at $45, or you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Chris Perez Project in Concert at Warehouse Live – The Latin rock guitarist known for being the lead guitarist in Selena Quintanilla’s band, Chris Perez, performs live at Warehouse Live. Tickets start at $20. 8pm.
- Doomsday Wrestling presents Heroines of Houston at Numbers Nightclub – Doomsday Wrestling presents their very first all-women wrestling match, Heroines of Houston at Numbers Nightclub. This is an all-ages event. Tickets start at $16. 9pm to 11pm.
- DJ Shift at Spire Houston – The Las Vegas house music DJ, Shift, comes to Houston to perform a set at Spire Houston in Downtown. Tickets are $10. 10pm.
Sunday, August 25, 2019
- Theater District Open House in Downtown | FREE – Go behind-the-scenes with Theater District Houston’s performing arts organizations at the free, family-friendly Theater District Open House. The daytime event previews what’s to come in the 2019-2020 season with free behind-the-scenes experiences, concerts, performance previews and interactive activities, as well as special ticket offers. Noon to 5pm.
- The Smashing Pumpkins, with Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, AFI in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – With most of the founding members returning, The Smashing Pumpkins hit the road on a tour in support of their late-2018 release, Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun. Tickets range from 29.50 to $179.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- George Clinton with Parliament Funkadelic in Concert at Revention Music Center – The legendary funk singer and bandleader, George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic hit the stage at Revention Music Center for the “Farewell Tour.” Openers include Galactic, Fishbone, Dumpstaphunk, and Miss Velvet & The Blue Wolf. Tickets start at $22. 7pm.
- Boris in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The 3-piece Japanese experimental music band, Boris performs live at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $18 in advance; $20 the day of. 7pm.
- Comedian Gary Meikle at The Secret Group – The Scottish comedian has managed to translate his viral rants and hefty social media following into a worldwide tour of material that picks from real-life to tell knee-slapping stories. Tickets range from $30 to $35. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).