Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Founded in 1927, the University of Houston is the third largest university in the state, with over 40,000 students, 280 degree programs, and 12 academic colleges. From exhilarating collegiate sports (go, Coogs) to emerging arts and drama, there are plenty of reasons to check out the campus. And nearby, you’ll find plenty of nightlife opportunities, too.
The Best Bars Near the University of Houston
- Calhoun’s Rooftop – Calhoun’s is a rooftop haven for the University of Houston community. The full-service sports bar boasts 7,000 square feet of industrial metals and reclaimed wood, with views of the UH Campus and Downtown skyline. Get pub grub like a 3-cheese stuffed burger loaded with smoked bacon, beer-battered pickle chips, and mango habanero hot wings to go along with frosty brews. Click here for directions.
- The Den – UH’s original campus bar keeps late-night hours (read: 2am) 7 nights a week. Hit the sports bar to catch football games and daily specials like $5 LIT Tuesdays, Trivia Night on Wednesdays, $3 Fridays and more. Click here for directions.
- Axelrad Beer Garden – Just a hop, skip and a jump away in Midtown, this laidback beer garden is popular as ever thanks to its stellar lineup of craft beers, next-door pizza joint, and a yard full of hammocks. Hit the sprawling yard to sip brews, cocktails, and wines, and look out for fun events from live music and food trucks to free movie screenings. Click here for directions.
- D & W Lounge – Get the full dive experience at this longtime neighborhood haunt. Here, the space is adorned with old posters and frames, old lamps and bright neon signs, and even taxidermy, and there’s an old school billiards table, darts, and the occasional live music to keep you entertained. As will the cheap beers and drink specials. Click here for directions.
- East End Hardware – Right on Leeland, this cool spot is known for its New Orleans-style boozy snoballs, straight from the SnoWizard machine and with rotating flavors from Negroni to the $5 Strocones available during ‘Stros games. Stop by for Steak Night, Trivia Night and more. Click here for directions.
- Lil’ Danny Speedo’s Go Fly a Kite Lounge – If its name didn’t give you a hint, this ice house and dive is as unpretentious as it gets. Sip frozen shandies and cold beers while you play a game of pinball or pool, throw some music on the jukebox, and let the good times roll. Click here for directions.
- Voodoo Queen – This sister establishment to Moon Tower has a pirate ship’s full of rum and food to share. Hit the daiquiri dive to sip strong boat drinks like the dark rum and brandy-kissed Scorpion, passion fruit and absinthe-kicked Comb-Over, and gin, lemon, and blackberry Pantaloon Dropper. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Check out top watering holes in nearby neighborhood’s, like Truck Yard, Neil’s Bahr and Miss Carousel in EaDo; Moon Tower Inn and Satellite Bar in the East End; and Wooster’s Garden and Holman Draft Hall in Midtown.