Make the most of your week with our top 14 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, August 12 to Sunday, August 18, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
Jam out to a live performance of the latest tracks from Vampire Weekend; experience Halo like never before with an immersive, virtual reality experience; cheer on professional bull riders in a high-stakes invitational; cheer on the Texans in their preseason home opener; test your knowledge of the Marvel universe during a themed Midtown bar crawl and more.
Top 14 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Lyle Lovett and His Large Band at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, August 14 – Get down to a country concert by famed Texan singer-songwriter Lyle Lovett and His Large Band at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $59.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Halo Outpost Discovery at George R. Brown Convention Center | Friday, August 16 to Sunday, August 18 – Prepare for battle as you enter the beloved science fiction universe of Halo during this three-day, interactive experience. You can take part in competitive Halo VR, laser tag, a target range, pelican training, a hall of history, and a Halo ring—all part of Halo Outpost Discovery at George R. Brown Convention Center. Tickets for single-day passes start at $60; three-day tickets start at $130. Times vary.
- All About That Bubbly at Houston Zoo | Friday, August 16 – Pop champagne at the Houston Zoo when it opens its doors after hours for All About That Bubbly, an evening event with a live ice carving show, a photo booth, giant lawn games, and the opportunity to see exotic animals up-close. Tickets are $35. 6pm to 10pm.
- Murder Mystery Dinner at Haak Winery | Friday, August 16 – Get into character and crack the case at this Murder Mystery Dinner presented by Haak Winery. A buffet dinner is included with admission. $65. 7pm to 9pm.
- PBR: Unleash the Beast at Fertitta Center | Saturday, August 17 and Sunday, August 18 – Buck up for this thrilling, two-day invitational, where 35 professional bull riders compete in one of the most dangerous sports in the world. Hosted at the University of Houston’s Fertitta Center, the competition will determine which riders advance to the PBR World Finals in Las Vegas. Tickets start at $20, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Times vary.
- Drag Diva Brunch: It’s Britney, Brunch at House of Blues | Saturday, August 17 – Sit back and enjoy brunch with a Britney Spears-themed show performed by some of Houston’s fiercest drag queens at Drag Diva Brunch in House of Blues. $40. 11am.
- Marvel Trivia Bar Crawl in Midtown | Saturday, August 17 – Dress up as your favorite superhero and bring your A-game to the Marvel Trivia Bar Crawl, where teams will answer a total of 25 trivia questions at four different Midtown bars. Tickets range from $15 to $20. 4pm to midnight.
- Around The World in 10,000 Bites at the Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, August 17 – Eat your way around the world during this gastronomic experience where guests can sample chef-prepared cuisines from ten different countries. Tickets include a commemorative book complete with recipes, photos, and descriptions from the event. $750. 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Vampire Weekend in Concert at White Oak Music Hall | Saturday, August 17 – Welcome the return of critically-acclaimed indie rockers Vampire Weekend as they take the stage in support of their latest album, Father of the Bride, following a six-year hiatus from the recording studio. Tickets are sold out at the venue, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 6:30pm.
- I’ll Be Single Before I Settle at The MATCH | Saturday, August 17 – Follow a group of college friends who are forced to confront harsh realities as they each search for love during a performance of I’ll Be Single Before I Settle at The MATCH. Tickets are $25. 6:30pm and 8:30pm.
- Houston Texans vs. Detroit Lions at NRG Stadium | Saturday, August 17 – Watch the Houston Texans play their preseason home opener against the Detroit Lions at NRG. Tickets start at $16, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- WWE Live Super Show at Toyota Center | Saturday, August 17 – Get ready to rumble at a live wrestling match between the superstars of World Wrestling Entertainment at the Toyota Center in Downtown. The featured wrestlers include Roman Reigns, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and more. Tickets start at $20, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, August 17 – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play the Rapids in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $24, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Sand Crab 5K / 10K Night Run on East Beach | Saturday, August 17 – Race across 5K or 10K of sandy beaches at this nighttime run along Galveston’s East Beach. Children can participate in the Kids’ Mile, and all races are chip-timed. Registration prices increase as the event gets closer, starting at $40 for the 5K; $45 for the 10K; and $20 for the Kid’s Mile. 8:30pm to 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).