Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Named after St. Thomas Aquinas and founded in 1947 by the Basilian Fathers, the University of St. Thomas is the city’s only Catholic university. The charming campus is located in the Neartown District, and with vibrant hoods like Montrose, the Museum District, and Midtown all within reach, there are no shortage of excellent (and since this is college, fun and budget-friendly) nightlife spots.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the area near the University of St. Thomas is bound by Westheimer/Elgin to the north, Bissonnet to the south, Dunlavy to the west and Main to the east.
The Best Bars Near University of St. Thomas
- Grand Prize Bar – With a billiards table, jukebox, and that perfect, grungy dive bar vibe, Grand Prize Bar is a local treasure. Head to the two-story bar and you’ll find the bartenders slinging fantastic craft creations, plus cheap specials from $2-off select cocktails to $4 whiskeys during happy hour (which runs til 8pm). Click here for directions.
- Revelry on Richmond – With a pup-friendly patio, solid library of 40 rotating craft taps, and fun specials like Paint Night, and Tacos, Trivia, & Tequila, the good times are always rollin’ at Revelry on Richmond. Reserve happy runs from 10pm to close on Monday to Thursdays, with $6 apps like quesadillas and buffalo strips, plus $5 house sangria and wine, frozen margs and vodka Redbulls, wells, and Texas pints. Click here for directions.
- Griff’s – Known for its righteous St. Patty’s Day party, this neighborhood Irish pub is always a good time. Get cheap booze all the time, and check out specials like Steak Night, where you can get a big ‘ol steak, sides, and a beer for under $15 every Tuesday, or Trivia Night, featuring games and a free nacho bar on Thursdays. Click here for directions.
- Anvil Bar & Refuge – If you’re going to break out the wallet for any cocktail in town, let it be at Bobby Heugel‘s Anvil Bar & Refuge, which helped launch Houston’s craft cocktail scene in the way back days of 2009 and employs some of the best mixologists in the business. Work your way through the list of 100 classics, or go for one of the original creations that is sure to wow. Click here for directions.
- Present Company – Transport yourself to Palm Springs at this bright and funky bar, which rocks a sprawling patio, neon signs, lush garden walls, and a laidback vibe. Sip stellar signature cocktails, including the “Stranger Danger,” kissed with watermelon vodka, lime, honeysuckle liqueur, watermelon-kiwi sparkling water, and Prosecco and served out of a La Croix can; and lookout for late-night specials. Click here for directions.
- West Alabama Ice House – A bit out of the parameters but close enough for a mention, Houston’s favorite ice house is open til midnight from Sunday to Friday and until 1am on Saturdays, 365 days a year. There, you’ll find refreshing beer and wine, plus games from dominoes and cards to basketball, ping pong, and cornhole. Not to mention the $1.50 to $2 tacos from neighborhood favorite Tacos Tierra Caliente. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options near University of St. Thomas
Sip craft cocktails at the uber hip Night Heron; play pool at Slick Willy’s or arcade games at Love Buzz; check out popular Midtown spots like Holman Draft Hall, Wooster’s Garden, and Beer Market; hit the patio at El Pueblito; get natural wines at Light Years Natural Wine Shop and Bar; or do a mini Westheimer bar crawl and pop into fun watering holes like The Hay Merchant, Boondocks, Catbirds, Pistolero’s, Poison Girl, Goodnight Charlie’s, and La Grange.