Make the most of your week with our top 9 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, August 5 to Sunday, August 11, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in August 2019
Top 9 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- George Hermann’s 176th Birthday Bash at Kinder Station at Hermann Park | Tuesday, August 6 | FREE – Come dressed as your favorite superhero as children of all ages to celebrate George Hermann. In honor of his 176th birthday, children 12 and under can ride the Hermann Park Railroad for just $1.76. Kids’ activities including games, arts and crafts, face painting and more. Stop by Pinewood Cafe for lunch and enjoy $1.76 snacks and treats. Plus, folks can enjoy a free slice of birthday cake, while supplies last. 10am to 2pm.
- Galveston’s Own Farmer’s Market at The Bryan Museum | Thursday, August 8 and Sunday, August 11 | FREE – Stroll the aisles for locally sourced, fresh produce at the Galveston’s Own Farmers Market. Let the kid’s pick out their own fresh foods for the next few days and taste some other edible farm products. The market is free to attend, but purchases are on you. Times vary.
- Republic Gymnastics Back to School Bash | Friday, August 9 | FREE – Bounce into the new school year with a day of fun for kids and parents. Gain free entry into the excitement when you bring a school supply donation. Kids will have a blast with face painting, trampolines, DJ music, shaved ice and more. Parents can enjoy raffle drawings as well as shopping from local vendors just to name a few. 6pm to 9pm.
- Evening Chill: Reptile and Amphibian at Houston Zoo | Friday, August 9 and Saturday, August, 10 – Stick around after hours for the Houston Zoo’s Evening Chill, which this week highlights reptiles and amphibians. The event offers family-friendly activities that include a children’s DJ, coloring mural, an on-site airbrush artist, giant lawn games, as well as animal keeper chats about the featured species. Tickets for admission start at $15.95. 5pm to 8pm.
- Dude Perfect at Toyota Center | Friday, August 9 – Catch Dude Perfect, one of YouTube’s biggest variety shows featuring best friends Tyler Toney, Cody Jones, Garrett Hilbert, and twins Coby and Cory Cotton live at Toyota Center. Dude Perfect is a variety show that features trick shots, sports themes, humorous skits, and good-natured “battles” between friends. Content is appropriate for children ages 8 and up. Tickets start at $20. 7pm.
- Princess Party at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Saturday, August 10 – Spend the day with your favorite princesses like Ariel, Belle, and Jasmine at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center. Grab your ballgown and tiara and get ready for a day full of princess fun including designing your own crown. Tickets for museum admission are $12; $11 ages 65 and up; members and infants under the age of 1 get in free. 10am to 3pm.
- MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital’s 8th Annual Back-to-School Bash at the Galleria | Saturday, August 10 | No Cover – Cool off from the summer heat with an educational puppet show and back-to-school fashion show at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital’s Back-to-School Bash in the Galleria. Benefitting the hospital, the fashion show will feature pediatric cancer patients, their siblings, and MD Anderson caregivers. This event is free to attend, but donations are accepted. Noon.
- Stargazing with the Houston Astronomical Society at Discovery Green | Saturday, August 10 | FREE – Gaze at the stars alongside members of the Houston Astronomical Society, who will happily point out to fellow onlookers the moon, planets, and various deep-sky objects. Depending on the day, you might actually see the International Space Station (I.S.S.) or Hubble Space Telescope flying overhead, too −weather permitting, of course. 8pm to 10pm.
- Movie Under the Moon: Disney’s Christopher Robin Movie Screening at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, August 10 | FREE – Sugar Land Town Square hosts a free screening of Disney’s live-action 2018 film Christopher Robin, in which an adult and overworked Christopher Robin is confronted by Winnie the Pooh and his former stuffed friends from the Hundred Acre Woods. Bring your lawn chairs and get comfy under the stars. 8:15pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).