Make the most of your week with our top 12 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, July 8 to Sunday, July 14, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in July 2019
Top 12 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Summer Clay Camp at with Pat Johnson at Galveston Arts Center | Monday, July 8 through Friday, July 12 – Join award-winning figurative ceramicist Pat Johnson for a 5-Day long camp at Galveston Arts Center. The camp lasts three hours each day, allowing students to delve deeply into a project. $165 for the week. 1pm to 4pm daily.
- Aladdin at The Hobby Center | Tuesday, July 9 through Sunday, July 14 – Rub the magic lamp and fulfill your wish to see the beloved Disney classic, Aladdin, come to life in a family-friendly, musical production at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets start at $50, but limited discounted tickets are available starting at $35 for select shows or you may find cheaper or better seats using TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Stars and Stripes at The Lawn at Memorial City | Wednesday, July 10 | FREE – Come out for Stars & Stripes at The Lawn at Memorial City for a 30-minute patriotic flag and music ceremony to honor our country, military, and their families. Enjoy the presentation of the flag to American classic songs. The Lawn is located next to Hotel ZaZa and Ciro’s Italian Grill off I-10 and Bunker Hill. 5pm to 5:30pm.
- Rock the Row at Hughes Landing in The Woodlands | Thursday, July 11 | No Cover – Experience Hughes Landing on scenic Lake Woodlands with free live music on Thursday evening. Rock the Row features local and regional bands playing a variety of favorites and this week folks can check out country band The Powell Brothers. 7pm to 9pm.
- Junior Jam Dino Bash at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday, July 12 – Practice your loudest T-Rex roar as you go on a prehistoric journey at Houston Museum of Natural Science. Go on a tour and scavenger hunt in the hall of paleontology. The dino excitement continues with dinosaur themes, crafts, and games. Ages 4 to 8. Tickets for adults are $15; children’s tickets are $20. 2pm.
- American Fitness Expo at George R. Brown Convention Center | Saturday, July 13 and Sunday, July 14 | FREE – Find the motivation you need to boost your health and fitness at the two-day American Fitness Expo in George R. Brown Convention Center while the kids burn some energy in the Kid Zone. The event will offer celebrity speakers, live boot camps, competitions, vendors and more. 9:30am to 5:30pm both days.
- Hire Houston Youth On-The-Spot Hiring Event at Houston Community College: Southeast | Saturday, July 13 | FREE – Help the youth in your life get set up with a Summer job. McDonald’s restaurants across Greater Houston will hire youth ages 16 to 24 on-the-spot with offers of at least $8 an hour. Applicants do not need to pre-register or be pre-screened, but are encouraged to bring their resume, Texas ID, and Social Security Card for on-the-spot hiring opportunities. 10am to 2pm.
- Family Day: Rigs to Reef at The Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum in Galveston | Saturday, July 13 – Learn what happens to drilling platforms when they are no longer used to produce offshore oil and gas. Family Day offers discounted admission as you discover how some rigs are converted into artificial reef habitats and attract sea creatures who then call them home. Admission for adults is $10; ages 17 and under are admitted free with a paying adult. 10am to 3pm.
- 18th Annual IgboFest at Discovery Green | Saturday, July 13 | FREE – Celebrate Nigerian culture with traditional dances and folklore with an educational twist at the 18th annual IgboFest in Discovery Green. While there, don’t miss the infamous, seven-foot-tall Ajofia Nwewi, a mystical masquerade that will be on display throughout the festival. 3pm to 10pm.
- Waugh Bat Colony Boat Tours at Allen’s Landing | Saturday, July 13 – Watch in amazement as 250,000 Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from the Waugh Bridge at dusk. You’ll be sitting comfortably on a boat during this tour led by “Bat Girl” presented by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. Children under 4 are not permitted on the boat. Tickets are $30. 7:05pm to 8:35pm.
- The Lego Movie 2 Movie Screening at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, July 13 | FREE – Bring the kids to a Friday night viewing of The Lego Movie 2 at Sugar Land Town Square. Join Emmet, Lucy, and Batman as they team up to take on outer space invaders who pose a new, dangerous threat to the citizens of Bricksburg. The film is rated PG. 8:30pm.
- Shark Day at Downtown Aquarium | Sunday, July 14 – Gear up for Discovery Channel’s upcoming Shark Week with a full day of shark-centric activities at the Downtown Aquarium. Visit shark divers, see conservation booths, watch dive shows, partake in arts & crafts, and win prizes, too. Tickets for all-day adult passes cost $20.99; kids get in for $19.99. 10am to 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).