Commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing around Houston from Tuesday, July 16 through Wednesday, July 24, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in July 2019
On July 20, 1969, at exactly 9:56pm Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon and history was made. Apollo 11 then returned safely to earth on July 24, 1969.
For the 50th anniversary Houston will be hosting plenty of events including movie screenings, exhibitions, and concerts to honor the historic event.
50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing Events Around Houston
- Chasing the Moon Movie Screening at Space Center Houston | Tuesday, July 16 | FREE – Space Center Houston hosts a special screening and panel discussion of Chasing the Moon, a three-part documentary by Robert Stone. The film utilizes archival material, much of which has never been seen by the public and features Northcutt, a 25-year old “mathematics whiz” who gained worldwide attention as the first woman to serve in the all-male bastion of NASA’s Mission Control. 7pm.
- Space on Screen & Dinner: Armstrong Movie Screening at Space Center Houston | Thursday, July 18 – This special edition of Space Center Houston’s monthly space-related film series, Space on Screen, will feature a dinner and the brand new documentary, Armstrong. Enjoy dinner in the Astronaut Gallery among astronaut flight and space suits. Tickets start at $24.95. 6pm.
- Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Celebration at Kemah Boardwalk | Friday, July 19 | FREE – Celebrate the moon landing at Kemah Boardwalk with family-friendly activities including music from the Lone Star Brass Band and David Joel Band, appearances by Clutch and the Houston Rocket Dancers, a firework show and more. 5pm to 11pm.
- Mixers & Elixirs at the Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday, July 19 – Party with the dinosaurs as the Houston Museum of Natural Science opens up its doors for an evening fête. July’s Mixers & Elixirs event is themed “From Houston to the Moon”, with The Space Rockers and DJ Dame Hype hyping up the dancefloor and food trucks including Dipped Dessert, Moon Rooster, Satellite Pizza, Foreign Policy, and Luv Me Tenders bringing the eats. Tickets are $25 for non-members; $15 for members. 7pm to 10pm.
- Apollo 11 50th Live at Space Center Houston | Saturday, July 20 – Apollo 11 50th Live is an all-day lunar celebration and countdown to Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the Moon. Discover an array of space-themed experiences including late-night NASA Tram Tours, notable speakers, book signings, an outdoor festival featuring music from Walk the Moon, a family STEM zone and more. Tickets start at $49.95. The opening ceremony kicks off at 9:15am; outdoor festival begins at 8pm.
- Star Wars Meet-and-Greet & Moon Landing Screening at Children’s Museum of Houston | Saturday, July 20 – Meet all of your favorite Star Wars characters including Leia and Kylo Ren at Children’s Museum of Houston. At 2:30pm and 3:30pm, you can watch the television broadcast of the first person on the moon. Included with general admission to the museum. 10am to 4pm.
- A Giant Leap: 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing at Discovery Green | Saturday, July 20 | FREE – Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the epic Apollo 11 mission to the moon with A Giant Leap, a family-friendly event, at Discovery Green. Featured will be a paratrooper landing by the US Army Golden Knights, exhibitions from the Johnson Space Center, Lone Star Flight Museum, commentary by Douglas Brinkley, author of American Moonshot, and a screening of Apollo 11. 6pm to 10pm.
- Grand Tour of the Moon by David Kring & WindSync Concert at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, July 20 – Tour the Moon exhibition with space exploration scientist Dr. David Kring of the Lunar and Planetary Institute as your guide at Houston Museum of Natural Science. The evening will conclude with a performance by WindSync, an award-winning wind quintet, who will play a piece commissioned to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. 7pm.
- Apollo 50 ft. Mothership: Tribute to Led Zeppelin & Eclipse: Tribute to Journey | Saturday, July 20 – Rock out to the music of Led Zeppelin and Journey on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing with tribute acts, Mothership and Eclipse at House of Blues. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
- Movie Nite on The Strand: First Man Movie Screening at Saengerfest Park | Saturday, July 20 | FREE – Cozy up in the Strand District for a free screening of First Man, the dramatic retelling of America’s risky mission to the moon, starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Academy Award-winner Damien Chazelle Bring chairs, blankets, and pillows to take in the free family-friendly movie under the stars. 8pm.
- Apollo 11 Mission Splashdown Party at Space Center Houston | Wednesday, July 24 – Space Center Houston hosts a 1960s-themed evening bash that features live music and activities as attendees are surrounded by their extensive collection of Apollo-era artifacts, as well as lots of interactive exhibits and activities featuring the exciting present and future of human space exploration. The Fab 5, a Beatles tribute band, will recreate the spirit and enthusiasm of the ’60s and ’70s. Entrance to the event is included with general admission. 6pm to 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).