Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Just about an hour from Houston, Galveston Island harbors 32 miles of beaches, so you most definitely can (and should) dip your toes in the sand. It also plays home to major fun zones like Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Waterpark. But that’s not all there is to do on this Gulf Coast oasis, you’ll also find plenty of awesome watering holes and nightlife.
The Best Bars in Galveston
- Bliss Lounge – Get a true taste of nightlife at this high-energy club and bar, open Thursday through Saturday and featuring DJs, dancing, booze specials, and fun events. Click here for directions.
- Daiquiri Time Out – It’s all about island living (and tasty daiquiris) at this refreshing dive. Take a time out with beachy cocktails expertly crafted with fresh juices and housemade syrups. And look out for specials like all-day happy hour and fun seasonal events. Click here for directions.
- Island Famous – Hit the lineup Island Famous bars, including The Spot and Tiki Bar, with beachfront drinks, food, and entertainment; Rum Shack, a beachfront palapa bar with a lineup of rum and tropical drinks; SideYard, which rocks a backyard party experience; and Squeeze, featuring ‘ritas and tequilas. Click here for directions.
- Island Pier Club – You’ll find island locals at this laidback watering hole. Head here for a “five star dive bar” experience, with billiards, cheap beers and shot specials, bar games, live music, and a neighborhood feel. Click here for directions. And check out its sister bar Albatross located on 21st for more fun times.
- Stuttgarden Tavern – Hit the indoor beer hall and rooftop patio bar at this laidback beer garden and tavern. The fun-loving spot rocks live music, trivia and karaoke nights, and 40 taps of beer in addition to a full bar. Click here for directions.
- The Tremont House – Head straight to The Rooftop Bar at this storied Galveston hotel. The local institution dates back to 1839, and today, it’s as chic as ever. At The Rooftop, you’ll find an enchanting ambiance complete with string lights, gorgeous views of downtown and the harbor, and flowing drinks. The bar is open daily, weather permitting. If all else fails, you can always sip a cocktail at the Toujouse Bar inside. Click here for directions.
- Yaga’s – Don’t miss tropical Yaga’s establishments like Float Pool Bar, a cool splash pool and patio bar with refreshing drinks and fun times (click here for directions); Tsunami’s Exotic Tequila Emporium, featuring more than 45 tequilas and 12 styles of margaritas (click here for directions); Yaga’s Café and Bar, with Blue Hawaiians, Dos Equis spiked margaritas, live music, and $2 drinks every Friday from 10pm to 11pm (click here for directions); and Beerfoot Brewery, a brewpub with 33 beers on tap, sports on the screens, and free peanuts (click here for directions).
More Great Bar Options in Galveston
Head to The Strand to sip beers at Brews Brothers brewpub, and do that same at O’Malley’s Stage Door and The Press Box over on Postoffice; catch live blues and jazz ‘til midnight at the Old Quarter Acoustic Cafe; linger over weekend beers at Galveston Island Brewing; and pop into island institution The Poop Deck for cheap booze and good times.