Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood. In this special edition, we’ll cover the city for the Best Gay & LGBTQ+ Bars around.
Many of Houston’s finest LGBTQ+ establishments can be found in Montrose—informally known as the “Gay-borhood” thanks to the number of popular gay bars that sit within walking distance, though you’ll also find LGBTQ+ establishments throughout town. From laidback watering holes to party bars rocking drag shows, karaoke and more, check out the best rainbow-friendly bars in Montrose and beyond.
The Best Gay & LGBTQ+ Bars in Houston
- Hamburger Mary’s – You can eat, drink and be Mary at this popping neighborhood bar and grille. With a prime location off Fairview and Grant, the fun-loving hangout is known for its flamboyant dining experience and nightly entertainment, from the “Dining with Divas” drag shows to Maryoke-Karaoke and game nights. Click here for directions.
- Pearl Bar – Over on Washington Avenue, you’ll find Houston’s finest Lesbian bar, rocking a laidback vibe and events like Steak & Bar Bingo on Tuesdays, monthly Queer Latin Nights, and DJ-fueled Girl Parties on the weekends. Click here for directions.
- Neon Boots Dancehall & Saloon – Set in the same space as the historic Esquire Ballroom on Hempstead (which hosted the likes of Willie Nelson, George Jones, and Patsy Cline), this restored Country Western dancehall and saloon features a massive dance floor, performance stages, and a fresh-faced outdoor patio and deck. Stop in to drink up or cut-a-rug, and check out its calendar of events, including happy hours, steak nights, karaoke, and free country & western dance classes. Click here for directions.
- Rich’s – Known at the “Studio 54 of the South,” this beloved gay nightclub (established in Midtown in the 1980s) closed for a bit, but thankfully reopened its doors in 2016. This year, the multi-level mega-club for music and dance is home to the official 2019 Houston Pride Afterparty. Click here for directions.
- George’s Country Sports Bar – Off Fairview, this longtime gay sports bar offers a relaxed, country vibe, with pool, darts, flatscreens, and a super friendly atmosphere. Settle in for game day, steak nights, crawfish boils, and fun events like the annual Summer Bash. Click here for directions.
- JR’s Bar and Grill – Home to the greatest Sunday Funday, this Montrose institution rocks a New Orleans-style patio and courtyard, plus tasty frozen drinks, male dancers, karaoke, and lively entertainment by day and night. Click here for directions.
- Guava Lamp – On Waugh, this modern lounge and LGBTQ+ social club hosts open mics, karaoke nights, drag shows, “gaymers” meetups, and more. Click here for directions.
- Tony’s Corner Pocket – Right near Downtown off West Dallas, this gay bar is always a good time, with live performances and dancers, drag shows, amateur strip contests and more. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Head to the Fairview District along Taft, where you’ll find walkable hotspots like Barcode, Crocker Bar, Eagle, and Ripcord; get a cabaret feel at the gay piano bar Michael’s Outpost, located in a strip mall off Richmond; check out drag shows and karaoke at The Room Bar in Spring; and hit the beach and pop into Rumors Beach Bar and Robert’s Lafitte in Galveston.