Pick the perfect beach to suit your mood and beach-going preferences on Galveston Island this summer, with party-ready and family-friendly options close at hand.
While any day at the beach is going to be a good one, Galveston’s two primary beach parks—East Beach and Stewart Beach—offer different perks and personalities to go along with their common amenities.
Party & Play at East Beach
Beachgoers looking for adventure and a party will find a home at East Beach, perched at the far eastern tip of Galveston Island. It’s perhaps most notable for permitting alcohol, which is not allowed at most of the island’s beaches.
The beach is also known for hosting Volleyball tournaments, the annual family-friendly AIA Sandcastle Competition, and other events throughout the summer months. The park hosts a pavilion, boardwalk, sand volleyball courts, and an entertainment stage. You’ll also find restrooms, showers, chair and umbrella rentals, a children’s playground, and concessions, along with other amenities.
The Gulf Coast Volleyball Association (GCVA) holds all-day tournaments at East Beach through the summer season. Registration and play is open and you don’t have to be a GCVA member.
Special Events at East Beach
All events are included with beach admission unless otherwise noted.
- ESPN 97.5 & SportsMap 94.1FM Sunfest | Saturday, June 15 – The Gulf Coast Volleyball Association (GCVA) hosts a Saturday of Volleyball tourneys across multiple categories. Free to watch. Play starts at 9am.
- GCVA Galveston Open | Saturday, June 29 – The GCVA returns for a day of sand volleyball play. Free to watch. Play starts at 9am.
- GCVA Red, White & Volleyball Tournament | Saturday, July 6 – The GCVA celebrates Independence Day with its annual tournament. Free to watch. Play starts at 9am.
- GVCA Hot as Hell Classic | Saturday, August 4 – Volleyball players brave the heat for a tourney during the dog days of summer. Free to watch. Play starts at 9am.
- Sand Crab 5K / 10K Night Run | Saturday, August 17 – Join in an evening run and walk on the sand and choose from a 5K, 10K, and Kid’s Mile. Pricing increases as the event gets closer, ranging from $40 to $75 for adults; $20 for kids.
- 33rd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition | Saturday, August 24 – Watch more than 60 teams compete for the prestigious Golden Bucket Award. After months of planning, teams stretch out along the beach front, where they meticulously sculpt their piles of sand and work non-stop for five hours. Included with beach admission. 10am to 4:30pm.
- GGVCA Labor Day Classic | Saturday, August 31 – The largest outdoor volleyball association on the Gulf Coast hosts its annual all-day tournament. Registration is $25 per person or $50 per team. Beachgoers are welcome to watch at no cost. Starts at 9am.
- Gulf Coast Volleyball Association Season Closer | Sunday, September 21 – GCVA wraps up the summer season with its final tourney of 2018. Registration is $25 per person or $50 per team. Beachgoers are welcome to watch at no cost. Starts at 9am.
Beach admission is priced by vehicle and can vary by day of the week, summer dates, and holidays. On most days, most vehicles can visit for $10 to $15 per vehicle.
Relax & Play with the Family at Stewart Beach
Deigned one of the “10 Best Beaches for Families” by Family Vacation Critic in 2013, Stewart Beach is Galveston’s premier family beach park. Situated where historic Broadway Avenue meets the Seawall, Stewart Beach offers plenty of amenities for a day at the beach, plus the regular supervision of highly trained lifeguards.
The park is home to a pavilion, beach volleyball courts, a children’s playground, concessions, restrooms, showers, chair and umbrella rentals, and more. With no alcohol permitted, it’s a perfect spot for families or those looking to unwind without too much revelry.
Free Sandcastle Demonstrations & Lessons at Stewart Beach
Learn to build your own sandcastle creations from a professional sandcastle builder every Saturday through August, 2019.
The instructor will build a sandcastle in the morning from 8am to 11am. Lessons follow at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm. Limited equipment will be available, but participants should consider bringing their own sand buckets and shovels.
Admission at Stewart Beach
Like East Beach, admission to Stewart Beach is priced by vehicle and can vary by day of the week, summer dates, and holidays. On most days, most vehicles can visit for $10 to $15 per vehicle.
See More & Save with Galveston Island Pass
While you’re on the island, consider taking advantage of Galveston Island Pass to explore Galveston’s charm, history, character, and fun, while saving 40% off admission to local attractions.
When you buy a Galveston Island Pass, you get to pick four or more participating attractions and save 40% off retail price. Passes are valid 30 days after purchase.
Participating Attractions include the 61st Street Fishing Pier, the American Undersea Warfare Center at SeaWolf Park, Bryan Museum, Moody Gardens Rainforest Pyramid, and more. Click here to see all participating attractions.
Click here to order a Galveston Island Pass or for more information. One pass per person.
This story was sponsored by Galveston Convention & Visitors Bureau. Per our advertising policy, we only accept sponsored content from businesses that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, resource, or destination for Houstonians and Houston visitors. Click here to learn about promoting your event, product or business.