Discover everything you need to know about the Houston and Galveston celebrations of the 154th anniversary of Juneteenth and the 156th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation with our handy guide to 2019 Juneteenth celebrations in Houston.
Happening This Week
Also in June 2019
Juneteenth marks June 19, 1865, the date that the news of the Emancipation Proclamation first reached Texas and was read aloud in Galveston, two years after it had become U.S. law.
We pulled together some key events this weekend in both Houston and Galveston and added a few extras from Saturday, June 15 through Juneteenth, Wednesday, June 19, 2019.
Juneteenth Celebrations in Houston & Galveston
Saturday, June 15, 2019
- Mayor Turner’s Annual Acres Homes Juneteenth Parade | FREE – Mayor Sylvester Turner hosts the Annual Acres Homes Juneteenth Parade which will begin at the Acres Homes Multi-Service Center located at 6719 W. Montgomery. The parade will then travel north on W. Montgomery, west on Dolly Wright, and conclude at Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church located at 1620 Dolly Wright. 10am.
- Juneteenth Celebration at Emancipation Park | FREE – Emancipation Park, located in the historic Third Ward neighborhood, host a Juneteenth Celebration with live music, vendors, and other festivities. 10am to 5pm.
- Black Love Festival at Emancipation Park | FREE – The Black School hosts the Black Love Festival at Emancipation Park, in conjunction with the Park’s other Juneteenth Celebration. The free art and music festival will feature live music, art and activism workshops designed to use creative acts to address issues in the community, DJs, food trucks, vendors and more. Noon to 5pm.
- Juneteenth Freedom Festival at Humble Civic Center & Arena Complex – The Juneteenth Freedom Festival will feature live music from The City and LT & the Zydecom Mob, food trucks, a kid zone, concessions, crafts and more at Humble Civic Center & Arena Complex. Tickets are $20 for adults; $10 for children; children under the age of 5 get in free. Noon to 9pm.
- Pearland Juneteenth Celebration at Pearland Town Center | FREE – Celebrate Juneteenth with live music by Treyway Experience featuring Reggie Jamz with spoken word, moonwalks, a videogame truck and more at Pearland Town Center. 3pm to 7pm.
Juneteenth, Wednesday, June 19, 2019
- Juneteenth at George Ranch Historical Park – George Ranch Historical Park hosts a family-friendly and educational Juneteenth celebration. Learn about the African American families, both pre- and post-slavery, who helped shape the Ranch by observing a re-enactment of this important speech and hear the reactions of the men and women who lived through this difficult time. There will be a BBQ lunch afterward. General admission for the park ranges from $10 to $15. Cost of the meal ranges from $4 to $15. 10am.
- Juneteenth Celebration Parade & Picnic in Galveston | FREE – The City of Galveston hosts their annual Juneteenth Celebration Parade along with a picnic immediately following. This year, the parade begins at 26th and Ball and will travel west on Ball to 41st Street, ending at Wright Cuney Park for the picnic. Line-up begins at 11am on 26th Street between Ball and Postoffice. Noon to 4pm.
- A Gulf Coast Juneteenth at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Be a part of Miller Outdoor Theatre’s beloved blues and Creole music festival featuring music from The Soul Rebels. Opening for The Soul Rebels will be Houston’s own Annika Chambers. 7:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).