Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 29 to Sunday, June 2, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in May 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comic Brad Williams at Houston Improv | Friday to Sunday – See hit comedian Brad Williams, best known from his Showtime specials Daddy Issues and Fun Size, when he brings his act to Houston Improv for three days. Tickets range from $20 to $32. Times vary per day.
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
- Steak Night with Live Music at Goodnight Charlie’s – William and the Texas Starlight, a country music project that plays upbeat, danceable interpretations of classic country staples performs at Goodnight Charlie’s. The steak night includes a strip steak, elote-style creamed corn, and loaded fried potatoes. No cover for entry, but it is $20 to take part in the steak dinner. 5pm to 10pm.
- Pier & Beam May Happy Hour at Decatur Bar & Pop-Up Factory | No Cover – Join Pier & Beam, Preservation Houston’s next-generation member group who are passionate about the city’s history, neighborhoods, and architecture, for a happy hour at Decatur Bar. 6pm to 8pm.
- Johnnyswim in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The LA-based soul, blues, pop music duo, Johnnyswim, perform a live show at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $28. 7pm.
- The Glorious Sons in Concert at House of Blues – The Canadian rock band, The Glorious Sons, perform live at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $15. 7pm.
- Houston Sabercats vs. Glendale Raptors & Grand Opening Celebration at Aveva Stadium – Join Houston’s pro rugby team as they face off against the Raptors and celebrate the grand opening of the new Aveva Stadium. There will free commemorative coins given to the first 2,000 to arrive, plus fireworks, and live music before and after the game. Tickets start at $10. 7:30pm.
- Joe Jackson in Concert at Cullen Theater at Wortham Center – The English musician and songwriter Joe Jackson, known for his new wave and pop hits like “Is She Really Going Out with Him?” and “Steppin’ Out”, performs live at the Cullen Theater. Tickets start at $37.50. 7:30pm.
- Ku Egenti & Friends Comedy Showcase at Houston Improv – A Nigerian raised in Houston, Ku Egenti is an observational comedian who talks about family, bad relationships, and life as a Nigerian American. Tickets are $20. 8pm.
Thursday, May 30, 2019
- Insane Clown Posse in Concert at Warehouse Live – The hip hop duo from Detroit known for their elaborate live performances, Insane Clown Posse performs at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $30. 6pm.
- Up Rising: A Night of Dance Commemorating Stonewall’s 50th Anniversary at CAMH | FREE – Houston’s most visible LGBTQ dance artists and community members come together for an evening of jazz, contemporary, ballet, and hip-hop dance with a range of music and costumes, including drag performance at CAMH. 6:30pm.
- Bingo Night at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Try your luck for a chance to win prizes at Under the Radar Brewery’s Bingo Night in their beer garden. 7pm.
- Jamey Johnson in Concert at House of Blues – The country music artist, Jamey Johnson, performs live at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
- Trio Fórte in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – The Axelrad Concert Series presents a LatinJazz, Bossanova, and dance night every last Thursday of the month with a performance from Trio Fórte. 7:30pm.
- Thursday Concerts: Lavelle White at Discovery Green | FREE – Discovery Green presents a weekly series of family-friendly concerts that showcase the best music of the Gulf Coast. This week features Lavelle White, known as the “Queen of Texas Blues.” Annika Chambers opens. 7pm to 9:30pm.
- Sing! Thursdays at Hamburger Mary’s – Participate in Sing!, an interactive show that comes complete with audience games, drag performances and a side of karaoke at Hamburger Mary’s. A $5 per person entertainment fee is added to the guest check. 7:30pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
Friday, May 31, 2019
- Keep Houston Rolling Party & Fundraiser at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | No Cover – Houston Bike Share is throwing its first ever fundraiser, Keep Houston Rolling, at Saint Arnold Brewing Company’s amazing beer garden, where Houston BCycle riders, bicyclists, and others can bask in the glory of car-free transit. There’s no ticket fee to enter and onsite donations are highly encouraged. 5pm to 11pm.
- Summer Exhibits Reception at Houston Center for Contemporary Craft | FREE – Celebrate the opening of HCCC’s summer exhibitions with open studios, artist meet-and-greets, and Buffalo Bayou beer. Exhibits include Justin Favela’s All You Can Eat, and Tiff Massey’s A Different World. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Music on the Plaza featuring artist Emily Fens & Wild Moccasins in Concert at MFAH | FREE – Enjoy an evening of live music from Wild Moccasins and art by Emily Fens on The Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza in front of The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. 6pm.
- Wisin y Yandel at Smart Financial Center – The Puerto Rican reggaeton duo, Wisin y Yandel, have recently released their tenth studio album, Los Campeones del Pueblo: The Big Leagues, following a 5-year hiatus. Their reunited world tour stops by H-Town for a highly-anticipated show. Tickets range from $39.50 to $350, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Slushiii in Concert at House of Blues – The DJ, singer, songwriter and record producer based in Los Angeles, Slushii, performs live for his Monster Energy Outbreak Tour at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $25. 8pm.
- Classic Numbers: Every Friday at Numbers Nightclub – Go back to the ’80s and hear hits from The Smiths, The Cure, Blondie, and more every Friday night at the always eclectic, Numbers Nightclub in Montrose. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Saturday, June 1, 2019
- 30th Annual Accordion Kings & Queens at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Dance along to a variety of accordion music, including conjunto, zydeco, Cajun, and polka, as Texas Folklife presents the 30th annual Accordion Kings & Queens concert at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 7pm.
- Vieux Farka Touré in Concert at The Heights Theater – The son of legendary Malian guitar player Ali Farka Touré and guitarist, Vieux Farka Touré performs live at The Heights Theater. Jackie Venson opens the show. Tickets start at $22. 7pm.
- The Houston Pancakes & Booze Art Show at Warehouse Live – Enjoy over 100 emerging artists exhibiting over 600 works, live body painting, and a full pancakes bar at the annual Pancakes & Booze Art Show at Warehouse Live. Tickets start at $10. 8pm.
- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Gather your fellow parrotheads for a live show by the iconic songster, Jimmy Buffett, when he and his band perform at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $46, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Ne-Yo in Concert at Arena Theatre – Swoon to the melodic voice of R&B vocalist and songwriter Ne-Yo as he teams up with fellow musician Tamia for a live show at Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $79.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8:30pm.
- Prince Tribute Live at The Continental Club – Hear songs like “Purple Rain” when local musicians get together to perform a tribute to Prince at The Continental Club. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Sunday, June 2, 2019
- Loud Luxury at Clé Houston – The LA-based deep house DJ duo, Loud Luxury performs live at Clé Houston lounge in Midtown. Tickets are $15. 2pm to 8pm.
- Bayou City Jazz Series at Wortham Theater Center – Listen to a fusion of funk, R&B, rock, and electric jazz when the Bayou City Jazz Series presents the talented saxophonist Eric Darius with keyboardist Jeff Lorber at Wortham Theater Center. Tickets start at $53.50. 5pm.
- Vaqueros Classic at Houston Polo Club – Witness six chukkers of thrilling polo, fought between two stellar teams. Expect live music, the best gentlemen’s hat contest, a Champagne divot stomp, and door prizes. Tickets start at $30 for adults; $15 for children on the Red Oak Lawn; Grandstand seats for 2 to 20 people range from $79 to $695. 5pm.
- Rooney in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a set from the LA-based alternative rock band, Rooney at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $20. 7pm.
- Jessie James Decker in Concert at House of Blues – The country-pop singer-songwriter, Jessie James Decker, performs live at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $34.50. 7pm.
- SPA presents Comedian Hannah Gadsby in Douglas at Jones Hall – Tasmania’s own Hannah Gadsby has come to the world’s attention through her multi-award winning stand up show Nanette, which played to sold-out houses across Australia, London, Edinburgh, New York, and Los Angeles before launching on Netflix in June. Watch her perform stand up live at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $44.75. 7:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).