Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 22 to Sunday, May 26, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in May 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- 6th Annual Afro-Latin Fest at University of Houston Downtown and Westin Galleria | Thursday to Sunday – Kicking off on Thursday with a free panel at UHDowntown and a dance party at Etro, the festival celebrating indigenous, African, Latin American, European, and African-American cultures then moves to the Westin Galleria for three full days of panels, dance workshops, concerts and dance performances, and more. Some workshops and panels are free. Other prices vary. Times vary.
Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- Wild Night with the Houston Zoo at Beaver’s | No Cover – Join the Houston Zoo for their Wild Night featuring their Zoo Mobile with live animals to celebrate the opening of their Texas Wetlands exhibit at Beaver’s. 6pm to 9pm.
- Dead Meadow in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch the psychedelic rock band, Dead Meadow at White Oak Music Hall with opener Funeral Horse. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
- BBMAK in Concert at House of Blues – The English pop 3-piece group, BBMAK, performs live at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $25. 7pm.
- Aaron Carter in Concert at Scout Bar – See a show from the pop sensation, Aaron Carter with openers City Under Siege, Blake Brake, Wayne Brezz, and Aaron Kadura at Scout Bar. Tickets start at $15. 7pm to 11pm.
- Taste of the Nation at Silver Street Studios – Join some of the city’s finest chefs, sommeliers, and mixologists, for Taste of the Nation at Silver Street Studios, a night of unlimited sips and bites in support of No Kid Hungry’s work to end childhood hunger in America. Tickets start at $125. 7pm to 9pm.
Thursday, May 23, 2019
- Party on the Plaza at Avenida Plaza | FREE – Catch a free concert by Kishi Bashi and Ugly Wolves during Party on the Plaza in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center. They’ll offer craft beer specials, food, games and more. 6:30pm.
- Bingo Night at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Try your luck for a chance to win prizes at Under the Radar Brewery’s Bingo Night in their beer garden. 7pm.
- Kari Faux in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Best known for her controversial style of rap, the rapper, singer-songwriter and record producer, Kari Faux performs live at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $13. 7pm.
- The Prince Experience at House of Blues – Hear songs like “Purple Rain” and “1999” when The Prince Experience pays tribute to Prince at House of Blues. Tickets start at $16. 7pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Nick Waterhouse in Concert at House of Blues – The blues and soul singer-songwriter, Nick Waterhouse, performs live at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $17.50. 8pm.
- Island Boogie Thursday at Lei Low Bar No Cover – All vinyl DJs Alex Aye and 5-D will be funking up the sounds of Paradise every fourth Thursday of the month all summer long at Lei Low Bar. 8pm.
- Blackbear in Concert at Revention Music Center – The singer, songwriter, and record producer Blackbear performs live for his “Dead 2 The World” Tour at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
- Work It: Y2k Dance Party at Etro Lounge – Etro Lounge in Downtown hosts a weekly dance night featuring early-mid 2000s favorites, one hit wonders, and club classics. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- Sylvia Rose Novak in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Americana songwriter, singer and multi-instrumentalist Sylvia Rose Novak performs live at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets start at $20. 9:30pm.
Friday, May 24, 2019
- Paint your Pet Night at Eureka Heights – Paint a pre-sketched picture of your beloved pet when Aubrie Williams of HeARTworks leads a class at Eureka Heights Brewing Co. You can enjoy your first brew on the house while working on your painting, then head over to onsite food trucks for a bite to eat. Tickets are $45. 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- David Gray in Concert at Revention Music Center – The English singer-songwriter, David Gray performs live for his “Gold in a Brass Age Tour” at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $39.50. 7pm.
- Jackopierce in Concert at The Heights Theater – Jack O’Neill and Cary Pierce, the “Jack O” and “Pierce” who make up the seminal duo Jackopierce perform live at The Heights Theater. Tickets range from $22 to $36. 7pm.
- Weird Science: An Art Tribute to Sci-Fi at Insomnia Gallery – Celebrate all things science-fiction with the fan art tribute, Weird Science at Insomnia Gallery. The gallery will be full of original fan art and some original concepts from some of Houston’s artists. 7pm to 11pm.
- Elnuh in Concert at Satellite Bar – The San Antonio-based dream pop band, Elnuh arrive back in Houston with local support from Small Chair, Britt, and Saint Rosa at Satellite Bar. Cover charge at the door. 7:30pm.
- Emo Night at Big Top – Experience a unique Emo Night with DJ Constant Shame that features ’70s and ’80s new wave, Tejano music, and plenty of emo classics. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- Reggaeton Trap House Party at Henke & Pillot – Dance the night away to reggaeton, trap, and house music at Henke & Pillot in Downtown. Tickets are $10. 10pm.
Saturday, May 25, 2019
- Memorial Day Weekend Day Party at Clé Houston – Get the party started with Ciroc snow cones, food from Chick-fil-A, and a full lineup of DJs during this daytime Memorial Day celebration at Clé Houston. Upgrade to VIP to gain quick access to the venue without waiting in line. General admission is free from 1pm to 4pm; tickets start at $20 after 4pm. 1pm to 9pm.
- Rock&Roll Circus at Satellite Bar – The Rock&Roll Circus is an event that celebrates music and art at Satellite Bar. The music lineup includes bands like El Jumbotron, Mockingbird Brother, Disfrutalo, Camarilla and more. There will also be live caricatures, food trucks, fire spinners, and vendors. Cover charge at the door. 2pm.
- The Taste of Louisiana Festival 2019 at Brazos River Park – Experience the culture and cuisine of Louisiana with over 20 Louisiana food vendors, an artisan market, live music, and a kids zone with rides and inflatables. The music lineup includes Zydeco Dots, Big 6 Brass Band with Second Steppers, Ruben Moreno, DJs and more. Tickets are $20 for adults; $10 for kids ages 4 to 12. 2pm to 9pm.
- Big Star’s 10th Anniversary at Big Star Bar | No Cover – Cheers to 10 years of boozy fun at Big Star Bar’s sea-themed anniversary celebration. Partake in the festivities with drink specials, live music, and DJs. 4pm.
- Twin Shadow DJ Set at Axelrad | No Cover – Neon Garden, Axelrad’s visual and auditory experience, returns with special guest DJ set from indie pop musician, Twin Shadow. 6pm.
- Ari Lennox in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a set from the R&B singer-songwriter, Ari Lennox at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $66. 7pm.
- Gareth Emery in Concert at Stereo Live – Hit the dance floor when DJ Gareth Emery takes the stage for a trance concert at Stereo Live. Tickets start at $20, plus fees. 10pm.
Sunday, May 26, 2019
- Heights Morning Market on White Oak Drive | No Cover – Spend Sunday morning browsing the offerings of local artisans, farmers, and entrepreneurs at the Heights Morning Market outside of Onion Creek Cafe. 10am to 2pm.
- All-You-Can-Eat Crawfish Boil at The Phoenix on Westheimer – The Friends of the Phoenix’s 2nd Annual All-You-Can-Eat Crawfish Boil will feature a waterslide, a bounce house, and a whole lot of mudbugs. Tickets start at $25 for early bird tickets; $30 at the door. Noon to 5pm.
- Art Market at Axelrad | No Cover – Shop for original finds from local artists, makers, and vendors at Axelrad’s Art Market. 2pm to 8pm.
- Rosé Party at Kings BierHaus in The Heights | No Cover – Sip rosé all day with a special event that celebrates the pink drink at Kings BierHaus in The Heights. Expect rosé (and frozé) specials, live music, festive decor, and a raffle. 3pm to 7pm.
- Kevin Garrett in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The producer, singer-songwriter, best known for being a collaborator for Beyonce’s Lemonade album, Kevin Garrett performs live at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $21.50. 7pm.
- Memorial Weekend Music Fest featuring Tank, Keyshia Cole and K. Michelle at Arena Theatre – The three R&B stars perform their hits for one night only at the West Side theater in the round. $65.50 to $175, but limited premium $110 seats are discounted to $64. 7pm.
- GTA at Stereo Live Houston – Dance to Latin beats when GTA, aka Good Times Ahead perform at the Stereo Live Houston nightclub. JSTJR and Happy Colors open the show. Early bird tickets start at $15. 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).