Make the most of your week with our top 12 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, May 13 to Sunday, May 19, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in May 2019
Top 12 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Movie Night: The Land Before Time Movie Screening at Axelrad | Monday, May 13 | No Cover – Go on an adventure with Littlefoot as he searches for more of his kind in The Great Valley. The 1988 G-rated film is still making audiences smile and you can introduce it to your little ones at Axelrad. The bar welcomes families and all ages until 9pm on Mondays, but promptly at 9pm (or at the end of the movie), they will return to a strict 21 and up only policy. The movie starts at sundown around 8pm.
- Houston Greek Festival at St. Basil the Great Greek Orthodox Church | Thursday, May 16 to Sunday, May 19 – Have a taste of Greek culture from food to church tours, to music and dancing, to kid’s activities and more at the Houston Greek Festival. All ages are welcome to celebrate Hellenic life during this weekend-long festival. Tickets are $3. Times vary.
- The Houston Ballet Presents Coppélia at the Wortham Theater Center | Starts Friday, May 16 – Watch in awe when the Houston Ballet presents this beloved classic, the story of a young couple’s encounter with a dollmaker and his creation, the beautiful Coppélia. The gorgeous sets and costumes are sure to captivate theater-goers of all ages. Tickets start at $25. Times vary.
- PurpleStride Houston at Houston Sports Park | Saturday, May 18 – Start your day off with some energy to burn for a good cause. Thousands of runners turn out for this annual walk to end pancreatic cancer. The fundraising event encourages participants of all ages to show up and show support for survivors and loved ones lost along the way. Registration is $15 for kids 3 to 12; $30 for adults; $5 more for a timed registration. 8am.
- 2019 Pull for Puppies Dog Walk & Pet Festival at CityCentre | Saturday, May 18 – Hang out with your 4-legged pup and the family at the 2019 Pull for Puppies Dog Walk and Pet Festival. Dogs and their humans can take part in a dog walk and parade around the CityCentre plaza as well as dog tournaments such as tug of war. Families can also check out the vendor marketplace, dogs to adopt from Friends for Life, face painting, balloon animals for the kids and more. $40 per person. 9am to 2pm.
- Pokémon Detective Movie Screening Cereal Party at Alamo LaCenterra | Saturday, May 18 – Fill up on your favorite cereal as you follow Pikachu, voiced by Ryan Reynolds, in his first live action movie. Based in a bustling city, people and Pokémon live together but cannot communicate. Find out what happens when Tim realizes he can talk to Pikachu in this rated PG movie. Tickets are $12. 10am.
- Houston Public Library Foundation’s Big Book Sale at Hogg Middle School | Saturday, May 18 | FREE – Stock up on Summer reading books at the Big Book Sale at Hogg Middle School. The sale features a huge selection of new and gently used books at bargain prices for children and adults. All children’s books are $1, including board books. Students with school IDs will receive Buy-One-Get-One (BOGO), or 2-for-1, books. 10am to 4pm.
- Hire Houston Youth On-The-Spot Hiring Event at Lone Star College Victory Center | Saturday, May 18 | FREE – Help the teen in your life find a Summer job at the Hire Houston Youth Hiring Event. Mayor Sylvester Turner’s Hire Houston Youth initiative, in partnership with the Greater Houston McDonald’s owners/operators hosts the series of job fairs. Each hiring event is free and open to the public. Applicants do not need to pre-register or be pre-screened, but are encouraged to bring their resume, Texas ID, and Social Security Card for on-the-spot hiring opportunities. 10am to 2pm.
- Houston Family Magazine’s Mom.Me Market at Evelyn’s Park | Saturday, May 18 – Moms and moms-to-be are invited to Evelyn’s Park for a special market featuring local vendors, $20,000 worth of giveaways, demonstrations, and various treats. Giveaways include babymoons, strollers, diaper bags, maternity clothes and more. Ticket price is to be determined. 11am to 4pm.
- 11th Galveston Island Beach Revue at Beach Central | Saturday, May 18 | No Cover – On Saturday, the Galveston Island Beach Revue offers a full day of flashback celebrations from competitions and Hot Rod Shows to Vendor Markets and more. Beach Revue attendees can sway away to live music as well. Noon to 7pm.
- Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse Movie Screening at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, May 18 | FREE – Swing into Saturday night with a family-friendly screening of Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse. Bring your lawn chairs and follow Miles as he becomes his own version of Spider-Man, and crosses paths with five counterparts from other dimensions to stop a threat for all realities. This movie is rated PG. 8:15pm.
- 2019 Kite Festival & Farmers Market at Alief Nature Center | Sunday, May 19 | FREE – Go fly a kite up to the highest height at the Kite Festival and Farmers Market at Alief Nature Center. The first 250 to arrive will get a free kite. Bring a kite of your own and enter it into a competition. There is also a free petting zoo, face painting and more. Noon to 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).