Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 15 to Sunday, May 19, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in May 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comedian Kevin Nealon at Houston Improv | Friday and Saturday – Have a good laugh when the actor and comedian, Kevin Nealon takes the stage at Houston Improv. Known for being a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1986 to 1995, Nealon has a unique sense of humor, profound dry wit, and likable demeanor. Tickets range from $25 to $35. Showtimes vary.
- 11th Annual Galveston Island Beach Revue | Friday and Saturday | FREE – Savor a sunny day of live music, hot rods, and beauty contests at the 11th Annual Galveston Island Beach Revue. Times vary.
- Red Bull BC One Camp USA at Warehouse Live | Friday to Sunday | FREE – Marvel at breakdance mastery with breaking battles, workshops, and lectures at Red Bull BC One Camp USA at Warehouse Live. Open to the public with an RSVP, Red Bull BC One Camp USA brings together some of the top national breaking competitors and choreographers for a whirlwind weekend. Free with RSVP. Times vary.
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
- Yappy Hour at Midtown Park | FREE – Enjoy a free, pet-friendly happy hour in Reliant Dog Park inside Midtown Park. This doggie play date features treats from Urban Tails, giveaways, contests, and prizes. 5:30pm to 7pm.
- Hot Mulligan in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch a set from the pop-punk group, Hot Mulligan with openers Belmont, Kayak Jones, Fredo Disco, Future Teen at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $15. 6pm.
- New Kids On The Block’s Mixtape Tour at Toyota Center – The multi-platinum pop super-group, New Kids On The Block, return to Toyota Center on a tour with guests Salt-N-Pepa, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, and Naughty by Nature. The five iconic pop and hip-hop acts will hit the road together for the first time ever. Tickets range from $29.95 to $199.95, before ticketing fees, but you may find cheaper, better, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7:30pm.
- Charity Trivia Night at Hamburger Mary’s Houston – Join friends of the organization’s Water as a Way and Serve2Serve for a fun night of trivia to help raise funds for both non-profit groups at Hamburger Mary’s Houston. There will be door prizes, raffle items and more. $10 to play. 8pm to 10pm.
Thursday, May 16, 2019
- Chartreuse Day at Decatur Bar & Pop-Up Factory | No Cover – Decatur Bar & Pop-Up Factory celebrates Chartreuse Day with specially crafted cocktails and swag. 4pm to 11pm.
- Cultured Cocktails: Up Rising at Bar Boheme | No Cover – Mix and mingle with members of the Up Rising event, A Night of Dance Commemorating Stonewall’s 50th at Anniversary at Bar Boheme. A portion of all drink sales at this happy hour will help support the making of the event. 5pm to 8pm.
- Blanket Bingo at Market Square Park – Bring your blanket, lawn chairs or snag one of the tables at the park for a night of music, great prizes and of course, bingo. $10 admission includes one bingo packet (approx 9 games). Additional games and daubers can be purchased for $1 each. 6pm.
- Draughts & Laughs: Beer and Comedy Show at The Secret Group – Crack up when The Secret Group hosts their monthly Draughts & Laughs show hosted by Stephen Brandau and featuring beer from Eureka Heights Brewing Company. Tickets start at $5. 7pm.
- Luck of the Draw at DiverseWorks – Held in the DiverseWorks gallery at MATCH, Luck of the Draw is not your ordinary fundraiser. More than 300 works on paper will be donated to this year’s event by participating artists, including Natasha Bowdoin, Tomory Dodge, Sharon Engelstein, Franklin Evans, Maria Cristina Jadick and more. Tickets range from $25 to $200 to enter. 7pm to 10pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Zodiac with DJ Sun at Axelrad | No Cover – The Axelrad Concert Series presents DJ Sun with Zodiac, Adventures in Vinyl every third Thursday at Axelrad. Get down with DJ Sun, a Dutch-born American record producer, and DJ. 8pm.
Friday, May 17, 2019
- Opening Reception of Amie Siegel: Medium Cool at Blaffer Art Museum | FREE – The Blaffer Art Museum at the University of Houston hosts an opening reception to celebrate Amie Siegel: Medium Cool, a new exhibition of the American artist Amie Siegel. Amie Siegel has earned international acclaim for her work in film, video, photography, performance, and installation. 6pm to 9pm.
- I Prevail in Concert at House of Blues – The metalcore and pop punk band, I Prevail performs a live show at House of Blues with openers Issues and Justin Stone. Tickets range from $33 to $48. 6:30pm.
- Lil Pump & Lil Skies in Concert at Revention Music Center – The rapper, singer, record producer, and songwriter, Lil Pump performs live at Revention Music Center. Lil Skies opens the show. Tickets start at $49.50. Doors at 7pm; show at 8pm.
- 3rd Scotch & Beer Fest Casino Night – The 3rd annual Scotch & Beer Fest is an exclusive tasting event where you can enjoy an intimate setting with a plethora of different scotch, whiskey, beer and other fine spirits from top brands from around the world. Festival-goers can also partake in lounging, live music, and great socializing with other enthusiasts. Tickets range from $30 to $250. 7pm to 11pm.
- Dave Matthews Band in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – One of the best-selling rock bands of all time, Dave Matthews Band, arrives in The Woodlands supporting their 2018 summer release, Come Tomorrow, which debuted at number one on the Billboard charts. Tickets range from $45 to over $115, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Silent Film with Two Star Symphony in Concert at Discovery Green | FREE – Bring your friends and family over to Discovery Green park to experience a 1920’s silent film and concert scored by Houston’s own music ensemble, Two Star Symphony. 8pm to 11pm.
- Roger Creager in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The award-winning country singer-songwriter, Roger Creager performs live at White Oak Music Hall. The Powell Brothers open the show. Tickets start at $15. 8pm.
- Siempre Selena the Tribute in Concert at Capitol Bar – Sing along to songs like “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom”, “Como La Flor”, “Baila Esta Cumbia” and more with the Siempre Selena tribute band at Capitol Bar. $10 cover charge. 9pm.
- Helado Negro in Concert at Satellite Bar – After releasing his new album, This is How You Smile, the New York-based indie artist, Helado Negro, performs live at Satellite Bar. Tickets start at $13. 9pm.
- Electric Foam featuring DallasK at Stereo Live Houston – The Stereo Live nightclub hosts the Electric Foam dance night with music by DJ and record producer DallasK. Free with RSVP; $5 for express entry. 10pm.
Saturday, May 18, 2019
- Poolside Soireé at Hotel Derek – Kick-off the start of summer by the pool with some tasty Deep Eddy Vodka cocktails, games, music and more at Hotel Derek. Tickets start at $45. Noon to 3pm.
- Music to My Beers Fest at Pearland Town Center – Celebrate the breweries South of Houston while jamming out to live music at the Music to My Beers Fest in Pearland Town Center. This springtime festival will feature an array of tasty craft brews, food trucks, and live performances from Hector Ward & the Big Time, Beat Root Revival, Byrd Law, and Buck Yeager. This event is free to attend with $5 beer tickets. 2pm to 9pm.
- Saint Arnold Montrose Pub Crawl | FREE – Saint Arnold Brewing Company hosts a Pub Crawl in Montrose with participating bars The Hay Merchant, Poison Girl, Present Company and more. Check-in for the pub crawl begins at Rudyard’s British Pub. 2pm to 6pm.
- ZZ Top, with Bad Company and Cheap Trick in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Celebrating their 50th anniversary, the Little Ol’ Band from Texas, ZZ Top, plays a highly-anticipated show with supporting acts Bad Company and Cheap Trick. Tickets range from $52 to over $200, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Jose Luis Rodriguez in Concert at Revention Music Center – The legendary Venezuelan singer and actor, also known as El Puma, swings through Houston as part of the “Agradecido Tour” (The Grateful Tour). Tickets range from $33 to $184, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Comedian Matt Rife at Rec Room – Bust a gut when Comedy Hub Houston presents the stand-up comedian and actor, Matt Rife, at Rec Room. Known for his appearances on MTV’s Wild N Out and the TV show Brooklyn 99, Rife has been doing comedy since the age of 17. Tickets are $15. 8pm to 10:30pm.
- Steve Aoki at Spire Houston – Known as one of the largest dance music artists in the country, the DJ and producer Steve Aoki performs at Spire Houston. Tickets are $40. 10pm.
Sunday, May 19, 2019
- 3rd Annual Love Street Music Fest at Karbach Brewery – Kick back on Karbach’s family-friendly patio while listening to live music from Walk the Moon, Bishop Briggs, Toadies, lovelytheband, Wrestlers, slenderbodies, and Vodi at the brewery’s annual Love Street Music Fest. Tickets start at $40, plus fees. 1pm.
- Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano at Clé Houston – Sip on a cocktail and sit poolside as the Clé Summer Sessions return with a DJ set from the house music duo, Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano. Tickets are $10. 2pm to 8pm.
- USPA Officers Cup at Houston Polo Club – Two teams battle it out at the USPA final. Expect live flamenco guitar music, the best gentlemen’s hat contest, and a Champagne divot stomp and a pony bounce at halftime. Tickets start at $30 for adults; $15 for children on the Red Oak Lawn; Grandstand seats for 2 to 20 people range from $79 to $695. 5pm.
- Farm to Thai Dinner at Finca Tres Robles – Enjoy some Thai cuisine when the Street to Kitchen pop up hosts a delicious Farm to Thai Dinner at Finca Tres Robles. $85 per person. 5:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Ariana Grande in Concert at Toyota Center – As part of “The Sweetener World Tour”, Ariana Grande arrives in town to perform songs from her previous releases including Sweetener and Thank U, Next, both of which debuted at number one on the Billboard charts. Tickets range from $39.95 to $249.95, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Sunday Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – Sing till your heart’s content when the LGBTQ-friendly bar and venue, Guava Lamp hosts their Sunday Karaoke night. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).