Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 8 to Sunday, May 12, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in May 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comedian Fortune Feimster at Houston Improv | Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11 – Have a good laugh when the writer, actress, and comedian, Fortune Feimster, performs live at Houston Improv. Known for her television debut on Last Comic Standing in 2010, she also starred as Colette on The Mindy Project between 2015 and 2017. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Vincent Victoria presents Hattie’s Big Night at Midtown Art Center | Friday, May 10 to Sunday, May 12 – Award-winning playwright and director Vincent Victoria will be presenting four encore performances of his hit dramatic play Hattie’s Big Night. The play recreates the Academy Awards ceremony from 1940 in which the “Mother of Black Hollywood” Hattie Mc Daniel became the first African-American to win an Oscar for her portrayal of Mammy in the movie Gone with the Wind. Tickets are $25. Showtimes vary.
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
- Glassell School of Art Presents: Multiplicity at The Silos at Sawyer | FREE – Sawyer Yards hosts the 2nd annual Glassell School of Art Ceramics Class exhibition, Multiplicity, in which students proposed works that employ the use of multiples. The works feature a range of installations and large sculpture.
- Old 97’s in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a live set from the alternative country band, Old 97’s at House of Blues in Downtown. The Bottle Rockets open the show. Tickets start at $25. 7pm.
- The Cactus Blossoms in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The Minneapolis-based brothers Page Burkum and Jack Torrey, also known as The Cactus Blossoms, perform live at White Oak Music Hall. Jack Klatt opens the show. Tickets start at $15. 8pm.
- Jim James in Concert at The Heights Theater – Watch a live show from singer-songwriter, Jim James, as he performs songs off of his third full length, Uniform Distortion, at The Heights Theater. Tickets for this show are sold out. 8pm.
Thursday, May 9, 2019
- Cultured Cocktails Happy Hour: Rothko Chapel at Bar Boheme | No Cover – Join the Rothko Chapel staff and volunteers for drinks and conversation at Bar Boheme’s happy hour. 10% of the proceeds from all drink sales will go to support the Rothko Chapel. 5pm to 8pm.
- Makers Mark Whiskey Seminar at International Smoke | No Cover – Sip on a complimentary flight of Makers Mark, Makers Mark Cask Strength, and Makers Mark 46 while brand ambassador Frank Krockenberger talks about each blend of whiskey during this free seminar at International Smoke. 6pm to 9pm.
- Bingo Night at Under the Radar Brewery | FREE – Try your luck for a chance to win prizes at Under the Radar Brewery’s Bingo Night in their beer garden. 7pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia at Growler USA Katy – Witches, wizards, and muggles alike are invited to compete in five free rounds of Harry Potter-themed trivia at Growler USA in Katy. 7pm to 9pm.
- Beer and Cheese Pairing at Great Heights Brewing Co. – Pair a selection of local cheeses with five different craft brews during this special event at Great Heights Brewing Co. The brewery’s co-founder and head brewer will talk through the beers, while Murray’s certified cheese pro, Adrianne Mingea, will discuss the cheeses. Tickets are $20. 7pm to 9pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited discounted $5 tickets are available. 8pm.
- Comedian Chad Daniels at Houston Improv – Bust a gut when the stand-up comedian, Chad Daniels performs live at Houston Improv. Known for his devilishly naughty nature, Daniels has appeared on Comedy Central, and late night shows like Conan. Tickets are $20. Doors at 7:15pm; show at 8pm.
- Pacific Dub in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The reggae-rock band from Orange County, Pacific Dub performs at White Oak Music Hall with openers Th3rd Coast Roots. Tickets start at $12. 8pm.
Friday, May 10, 2019
- 8bit Wonder at 8th Wonder Brewery | No Cover – This 2nd installment of the immersive 8-bit experience takes place at 8th Wonder Brewery. For this 8bit, you can play games like Super Mario Kart, Contra, Duck Hunt, Rad Racer 2 and more. 5pm to 10pm.
- Beats & Eats at Midtown Park | No Cover – Spend your Friday evening with a live set from Eimaral Sol, tunes courtesy of Dj Mav and food from Zansét Catering. 6pm to 9pm.
- Kali Uchis & Jorja Smith in Concert at Revention Music Center – Pop singer Kali Uchis and R&B singer Jorja Smith co-headline at Revention Music Center in Downtown. Tickets start at $39.95. Doors at 7pm; show at 8pm.
- Tomar and the FCs in Concert at Market Square Park | FREE – Groove along to soul music at an outdoor concert by headliners Tomar and the FCs in Market Square Park. Arrive early to hear openers Kalu and the Electric Joint, known for their unique blend of psychedelic soul music, rock & roll, and African rhythms. 7:30pm.
- Bella Gaia: A Beautiful Earth at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, as Miller Outdoor Theatre brings the magic of Bella Gaia: A Beautiful Earth to their stage. Bella Gaia is an unprecedented NASA-powered immersive experience, inspired by astronauts who spoke of the life-changing power of seeing the Earth from space. 8pm.
- KiKi Maroon’s Burly Q Lounge at House of Blues – Houston’s burlesque “varie-tease” monthly show includes standup comedy, live music, and showgirls. Classy and sexy, dirty and funny; this evening of vaudevillian hijinks will transport you to the naughty speakeasy your grandparents never told you about. Tickets range from $25 to $45. VIP and seated tickets are available. 8pm.
- Violent Femmes in Concert at House of Blues – Rock out to songs like “Blister in the Sun” and “Gone Daddy Gone” during a live show by the popular ‘80s group, Violent Femmes, at House of Blues. Tickets start at $42.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market. 8pm.
- K-Pop Night: The Force Awakens at Henke & Pillot – Dance to K-Pop tunes and combine your love for K-Pop music and Star Wars with costumes at Henke & Pillot in Downtown. Tickets are $10 after 9:30pm. 9pm.
- Fat Tony DJ Set at Barbarella Houston – The hip hop artist and DJ originally from Houston, Fat Tony, stops by Barbarella in Midtown for a DJ set. Cover charge at the door. 9:30pm.
Saturday, May 11, 2019
- Heights Mercantile Mother’s Day Market | No Cover – Just in time for Mother’s Day, you can browse the wares and creations of local merchants and artisans at a pop-up market on the promenade at Heights Mercantile. The market will feature plenty of vendors along the promenade and sidewalks of Heights Mercantile. 11am to 6pm.
- GCBA presents Houston Blues Festival 2019 – The Gulf Coast Blues Association presents the Houston Blues Festival 2019 at VFW Post 2427 in Tomball, featuring family-friendly blues music all day long. The show will be headlined by Tab Benoit, with additional performances by Malford Milligan, Buddy Whittington, and Kara Grainger. Tickets are $25 for general admission; $45 for reserved seating. Noon.
- Houston Taco & Margs Crawl on Washington Ave – Taco and tequila fans can join in on the Houston Taco & Margs Crawl, taking place at a lineup of Washington Avenue bars, from Clutch Bar, Kung Fu Saloon and Lincoln Bar to The Standard, Handlebar, and Daisy Dukes. Tickets are $17.99. This event begins at Clutch Bar at 2pm.
- 6th Annual Houston Whiskey Festival – The Houston Whiskey Festival is an upscale tasting event happening in Downtown Houston, featuring a wide assortment of whiskey, bourbon, Scotch, and other fine spirits. There will also be live music, light bites, whiskey seminars, a cigar lounge, and socializing. Tickets start at $45 for early bird registration; VIP tickets start at $100 and include early access to the event at 6pm, access to a VIP lounge, and a gift bag. 6pm to 10pm.
- The Marcus King Band in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Led by singer, songwriter, and guitarist Marcus King, the blues Marcus King Band performs live at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $22. 7pm.
- Simon & Garfunkel Live in Central Park at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Experience a live tribute of the now legendary concert of Simon & Garfunkel Live in Central Park at Miller Outdoor Theatre. Award-winning recording artists, Lee Lessack and Johnny Rodgers recreate that magical night with dulcet vocals harmonizing over lilting guitar. 8pm.
- Wild Belle in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch a set from the rock and roll duo, Wild Belle with special guests Terri Terri at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $13. 8pm.
- Kinda Super Disco: Felix Da Housecat at Numbers Nightclub – Known for his style of Chicago house music and electro, Feliz Da Housecat stops by Numbers Nightclub for a DJ set. Tickets start at $20. 11pm.
Sunday, May 12, 2019
- Second Sunday Revival at Market Square Park | FREE – Sip Bloody Marys while jamming out to live brass music when Market Square Park hosts the first edition of its new summer series, Second Sunday Revival. Noon.
- Mother’s Day Brews & Art Market at Karbach Brewing Co. | No Cover – Bring your mom over to Karbach Brewing Co. for cold beers and a market featuring local vintage and art vendors and artisans. Noon.
- Ponies & Petals Cup for Mother’s Day at Houston Polo Club – Houston Polo Club hosts a special Mother’s Day match, including a Ladies best hat contest. At halftime, there will be a Champagne divot stomp and a pony bounce. Tickets start at $30 for adults; $15 for children on the Red Oak Lawn; Grandstand seats for 2 to 20 people range from $79 to $695. 5pm.
- Mother’s Day Serenade at Cullen Theater at Wortham Center – The Houston Latin American Philharmonic orchestra presents its annual Mother’s Day Serenade concert that features guest artists, Mirla Castellanos, Luis Alonso, and Guillermo Davila. Tickets start at $19. 6:30pm.
- Deer Tick in Concert at The Heights Theatre – Deer Tick hits the stage to perform songs off their brand new third album, Mayonnaise, at The Heights Theatre. Tickets start at $22. 7pm.
- Sunday Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – Sing till your heart’s content when the LGBTQ-friendly bar and venue, Guava Lamp hosts their Sunday Karaoke night. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).