Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
Just southwest of Downtown, the Houston Museum District is a beautiful section of town that plays home to an organization of 20 museums, galleries, cultural centers, and community organizations. With so much culture and beauty, there’s no shortage of entertainment here, including plenty of thirst-quenching watering holes.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the Museum District is defined as the area bordered by Richmond/Wheeler to the north, Montrose/Main to the west, Holcombe to the south, and 288 to the east.
The Best Bars in the Museum District
- Grand Prize Bar – One of Houston’s coolest dives sits off Banks in the Museum District. But don’t be fooled by the laidback atmosphere, this two-story bar is known to make some serious craft cocktails. Shoot a game of pool, hit the jukebox, and of course, sip great drinks. Click here for directions.
- Monarch at Hotel ZaZa – Housed in the super-luxe Hotel ZaZa, Monarch restaurant and lounge rocks a gorgeous terrace overlooking the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Hit the bar for bubbles, wines, craft beers, and boozy cocktails like the jalapeño-infused Mexican Paloma and apricot, ginger-honey, and peach kissed Whiskey Business. Click here for directions.
- Bar 5015 – On Almeda, this cool bar and lounge offers indoor and outdoor space alongside good music and good vibes, with specials from Tuesday Steak Night to DJ Mike Mogul on Fridays and Saturday Reggae Jams. Click here for directions.
- UnWine on Almeda – Hit the patio or cozy up inside to unwind with relatable wines, Champagnes and sparkling drinks by the glass and bottle, and tack on cheese and charcuterie, panini, and tapas while you’re at it. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Jam to live jazz at Le Chateau; and if you’re near Menil Campus (technically outside of the Museum District), grab a glass of vino at Bistro Menil.