Make the most of your week with our top 17 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, April 22 to Sunday, April 28, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in April 2019
Taste beers from more than 100 local brewers, crack the code in a musical murder mystery, chill out on the lawn at a live show by Leon Bridges, chow down on tasty bites from Houston’s top food trucks, root for the home team at an Astros game and more.
Top 17 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Astros vs. Minnesota Twins at Minute Maid Park | Monday, April 22 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Minnesota Twins in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $9, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:10pm.
- Black Restaurant Week presents Nosh: Houston Culinary Showcase | Wednesday, April 24 – Learn cooking skills and sample tasty bites as some of Houston’s top chefs and caterers present live cooking demonstrations at this featured event of Black Restaurant Week in George R. Brown Convention Center. Accompanying the cooking demos and tastings will be the cocktail-focused Power of the Palate Bartender Competition, which pits skilled mixologists against each other in a voter’s choice contest. Early bird tickets start at $45. 6pm to 10pm.
- Dining Out For Life 2019 | Thursday, April 25 – A myriad of Houston’s top eateries come together for this annual, city-wide fundraiser, which benefits local AIDS service organization AFH and related programs that serve thousands of Houstonians living with HIV/AIDS. To participate, simply dine out and pick up your tab at restaurants like B&B Butchers, Barnaby’s, Ginger & Fork, Le Colonial, Niko Nikos, and El Real. Prices, times, and locations vary.
- Yekwon Sunwoo in Concert at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Thursday, April 25 – Swoon to the sounds of a powerful piano concerto by Yekwon Sunwoo, who achieved a gold medal at the Fifteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. He’ll play pieces from composers Schumann, Liszt, and Schubert. Tickets start at $45. 7:30pm.
- A Hulu Original Comedy Tour with Ramy Youssef & Friends at White Oak Music Hall | Thursday, April 25 – Join actor, comedian and producer Ramy Youssef for an evening of comedy and free cocktails to celebrate the launch of his new, self-titled series on Hulu, RAMY. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- Snoop Dogg in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Thursday, April 25 – Drop it likes it’s hot at a live show by Snoop Dogg as he celebrates “25 Years of Doggystyle” with support from Warren G, G Funk, and Tha Dogg Pound at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $39.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- MFAH Mixed Media | Friday, April 26 – Party it up, Van Gogh-style, with exclusive after-hours access to the Van Gogh exhibit, DJs, dancing, specialty cocktails, and the chance to create your own piece of art at MFAH’s Mixed Media event. Tickets cost $25 for non-members; $22 for members. 8pm to 11:55pm.
- Galveston Island Wine Festival | Friday, April 26 and Saturday, April 27 – Taste fine wines, dine at an elegant dinner, run a champagne 5K, and attend a grand food and wine tasting during the tenth annual Galveston Island Wine Festival at Saengerfest Park. Tickets start at $72, varying by event and package. Times vary.
- Murder for Two at Stages Repertory Company | Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28 – Solve a murder mystery during this musical duet, where one actor plays the inspector, and another plays all 13 suspects under investigation. Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Texas Crawfish & Music Festival at Preservation Park | Saturday, April 27 and Sunday, April 28 – Chow down on crawfish, Cajun bites, and other festival favorites when country music and cajun food come together at the Texas Crawfish & Music Festival in Preservation Park. The family-friendly event will also include an alligator theme park and petting zoo. Tickets are $12 at the gate (ages 13 and up); $5 for children (ages 6 to 12). Times vary.
- Leon Bridges in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Friday, April 26 – Sing along to the rhythm and blues of Leon Bridges as he brings his live show to the stage at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Expect to hear hits from his debut album, Coming Home, as well as his latest release, Good Thing. Jess Glynne opens the show. Tickets start at $29.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- HGO presents The Phoenix at Wortham Theater Center | Friday, April 26 and Sunday, April 28 – Take a seat for the Houston Grand Opera’s world premiere of The Phoenix, a stage adaptation of Lorenzo da Ponte’s dramatic story of redemption. Tickets start at $20, but you can get 10% off with promocode PHOENIX365. Showtimes vary.
- Lounge on the Lawn at Midtown Park | Saturday, April 27 | FREE – Spend a day outdoors with friends and family when Midtown Houston hosts Lounge on the Lawn, an all-day celebration at Midtown Park. The event will feature diverse cuisine, live entertainment, and family-friendly fun on the lush 30,000 square foot lawn. Other activities will include yoga and dog yoga, a photo booth, caricature drawings, face painting, karaoke, and a movie screening of Black Panther. Noon to 8pm.
- Black Restaurant Week presents Soundbites Food Truck Festival | Saturday, April 27 – Savor the flavors of African-American, African, and Caribbean cuisine at the Soundbites Food Truck Festival in Peggy Park. As part of Houston Black Restaurant Week, the festival will showcase more than 10 food trucks, family fun, and live music. Early bird tickets start at $7. 1pm to 7pm.
- Katy Wild West Brew Fest: The Rotary Club of Katy at Katy Mills Mall | Saturday, April 27 – Cheers to copious amounts of beer as Katy Mills hosts the annual Wild West Brew Fest. With more than 100 brewers, 600 Beers, plenty of food trucks, a full lineup of live music and a 11,000-square-foot VIP tent, this beer-focused occasion offers something for everyone to enjoy. Tickets start at $35 and include access to the event, musical entertainment, and a sample card for 12 two-ounce pours. 3pm to 9pm.
- Houston Dynamo vs. Columbus Crew SC at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, April 27 – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play Columbus in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $24, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- 7th Annual West Houston Food Truck Festival | Sunday, April 28 – Some of the city’s most popular food trucks come together for the seventh annual West Houston Food Truck Festival, held at on the Temple Sinai campus. Participating eateries include The Waffle Bus, Coreano’s, The Burger Joint, Wokker Texas Ranger and more. While you eat, you can enjoy music by Mixdoctors Mobile DJs, bounce houses, and a variety of children’s activities. Tickets are $8 at the gate, not including food and beverage purchases. Noon to 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).