Houston comes alive at night, with dives, cocktail bars, and nightclubs dotting the city. In our Houston Nightlife: Best Bars, we’ll cover the best night owl watering holes in each neighborhood.
The East End has long been rich in history and culture, as it plays home to two of Houston’s oldest Hispanic neighborhoods, Magnolia Park and Second Ward. With a mix of the old and the new, this vibrant neighborhood offers plenty to do, including some thirst-quenching bars and nightlife options.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the East End is roughly defined by this map.
The Best Bars in the East End
- D&W Lounge – You’ll get the full dive experience at this longtime neighborhood haunt. Here, the space is adorned with old posters and frames, old lamps and bright neon signs, and even taxidermy, and there’s an old school billiards table, darts, and the occasional live music to keep you entertained. As will the cheap beers and drink specials. Click here for directions.
- Lil’ Danny Speedo’s Go Fly a Kite Lounge – If its name didn’t give you a hint, this ice house and dive is as unpretentious as it gets. Sip frozen shandies and cold beers while you play a game of pinball or pool, throw some music on the jukebox, and let the good times roll. Click here for directions.
- Moon Tower Inn – Gourmet wild game weenies and craft suds are the name of the game at this cookshack and sudworks. In addition to a fantastic, 66-tap lineup of brews and outrageous creations like duck dogs with apple brandy and a fiery cheeseburger packed with 13 chiles, the ice house also hosts movie nights, crawfish boils, and all other kinds of fun shenanigans in its sprawling yard. Look out for fun specials like Monday Mug Night and Tuesday Movies at Dark with $5 hot dogs. Click here for directions.
- The New Potato – This pet and family-friendly neighborhood pub has a cozy intimate bar and spacious outdoor garden, offering a host of food trucks and pop-ups, hand-crafted bar pies, 29 craft beer taps, classic cocktails, great whiskey and good times. Click here for directions.
- Satellite Bar – This totally chill indie bar and live music venue rocks an indoor and outdoor space and spunky dive bar atmosphere. Alongside a stage for live acts, you’ll find arcade games and TVs inside; plus a patio with local food trucks and bar goodies. Hit it to sip on a lineup of craft cocktails and 60+ craft beers (from the dark and hoppy to light and funky), with koozies available for purchase to keep them cool. And follow along on Facebook to look out for happy hour specials, plus weekly and monthly events liked themed dance nights, karaoke, open mic nights, and video game nights. Click here for directions.
- Voodoo Queen – This sister establishment to Moon Tower has a pirate ship’s full of rum and food to share. Hit the daiquiri dive to sip strong boat drinks like the dark rum and brandy-kissed Scorpion, passion fruit and absinthe-kicked Comb-Over, and gin, lemon and blackberry Pantaloon Dropper. Specials include live tunes, half-off po’boys and $2 off drafts on Tuesdays. Click here for directions.
More Great Bar Options in East End
Hit the taproom at Sigma Brewing Company; kick back with beer, wine and coffee at Bohemeo’s; and get boozy sno-balls at East End Hardware, both of which sits off Leeland just outside the hood’s border.